Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

CGS UK 1857 Gothic Florin (PCGS GRADE IN)

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with cgs uk I come across their coins often but had not gotten any until last night. I know there are not recognized as tpg here but I'm curious if anyone has experience with them and there grading system.

Got a 1857 Gothic florin CGS 65 I'm gonna crack it upon arrival and see if it crosses at their level of MS 60~61 with our host.

Chris

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen some CGS graded coins. I do not see them often enough to offer any insight. It really is about the coin. I would try to avoid the mentality of if it grades x at TPG A then should grade y at TPG B.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    This penny was graded CGS 80

1859 1d

My understanding is their grading of uncirculated coins was quite erratic, at least when they started out. A friend viewed 150-200 CGS-graded coins back in about 2008/9 or so, and bought only 15-20 coins, but not their highest graded examples, many of which were "arms length" gems but had issues which would have led to being body-bagged at PCGS.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience, CGS65 usually translated to about AU50-53 these days. Pictures of high quality will assist with this one...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    CGS 80?

I have some + and stars but ten extra Sheldon points is too rich for my blood.

imageimage
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    I'll vote 53 as there is some lustre present, though on closer examination there are quite a few bits of contact and friction. Average strike, overall appealing as this design tends to be of course. On a good day 55.

This having been said, I can't say as I always agree with P grades but on these more consistent.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like they use a 100 point scale. EF-65 and that does look like an EF per English Grading Standards.

Edit to add: My experience with the English are they are much tougher details wise(VF-EF) and much more forgiving on coins which have been cleaned. They also seem to allow more wear on lower grade coins.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say XF45 here. (PCGS)
  • Options
    I have a graded PCGS AU50 that is not as nice. Well, it is because it is one of the best 1854s out there....
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like they use a 100 point scale. EF-65 and that does look like an EF per English Grading Standards. >>

I looked up CGS UK and they do indeed use a scale 1-100 100 being an equivalent to a 70 here

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    I got the grade back today AU55
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    55 seems reasonable- it looks nice for the grade

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.