Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

One last question, since I'm an amateur Card Grader

What's it take to get an 7-8,9...10?

And what do you think this would grade and reason for the lower -higher grade

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would expect a PSA6, corner dings and edge wear. Possibly a 7 on a good day. Easiest to see on the back, top-right corner. Lower left corner appears touched and lower right looks a bit flared also.
  • Options
    CocoaBeachDodgersCocoaBeachDodgers Posts: 749 ✭✭✭
    First, I would like to say this is a beautiful card of my 2 favorites of all time!

As far as grading, on the positive side, it has great centering, both front & back. The surface appears to have no flaws & the focus is clear. The corners appear to show very light tip wear. On the back, you can see slight edge wear across from Washburn. I would say 7.5 at a minimum and possibly 8.5 on it's best day, but most likely a PSA 8

Edit to add: Yeah, I think I probably went a little high. I just love cards with Koufax & Drysdale on themimage
  • Options

<< <i>Easiest to see on the back, top-right corner. >>

Bingo. That sticks out. 6, max, IMO.
  • Options
    RyanAdmirerRyanAdmirer Posts: 632 ✭✭

<< <i>I would expect a PSA6, corner dings and edge wear. Possibly a 7 on a good day. Easiest to see on the back, top-right corner. Lower left corner appears touched and lower right looks a bit flared also. >>

Could not have been said better.
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    I too may be influenced by the players, I'd say it's a 7, but regardless of grade, it's one that's likely to present better than its technical grade.

Good Luck.
    Jim
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    You have a beautiful card there. I am in the camp that it will be a 6 due to the lower right corner ding. It could get a 7. No matter what, it has great eye appeal.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I would expect a PSA6, corner dings and edge wear. Possibly a 7 on a good day. Easiest to see on the back, top-right corner. Lower left corner appears touched and lower right looks a bit flared also. >>

Could not have been said better. >>

+1, but I think it would be VERY TOUGH for it to get a "7". However, I do think it would look great in a raw set.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I think it's an 8 all day
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7 bc of corners. It will grade a 7 I think 50% of the time and on a good day an 8.
    So Nm to Nm/Mt my guess
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I too may be influenced by the players, I'd say it's a 7, but regardless of grade, it's one that's likely to present better than its technical grade.

Good Luck.
    Jim >>

Agreed. The soft corners keeps it from grading higher than a 7. Good centering, good color/registration. IMO, I don't think the back top right corner will keep it at a 6.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Corners are worse (IMHO) on the Maris and it's a PSA 8 (OC)

• Options

<< <i>Corners are worse (IMHO) on the Maris and it's a PSA 8 (OC) >>

To be frank:

No, they're not.

And, optimism in the face of clear evidence is a major cause of "OMG, I got the Grader of Death"-type sentiment 2 months down the road.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭
    I think this is why I'm still a grading virgin. I would totally take the pitching leader card for my raw set over the Maris. It presents beautifully!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Corners are worse (IMHO) on the Maris and it's a PSA 8 (OC) >>

To be frank:

No, they're not.

And, optimism in the face of clear evidence is a major cause of "OMG, I got the Grader of Death"-type sentiment 2 months down the road. >>

To be frank I have both Cards in hand the bottom right of the Maris is a much stronger hit on corner.
    And the top two on Marris have been "touched"
    In Hand the 65 really beats the 61, I'm not trying to be optimistic I'm just stating what I see.
    So tell me where I'm wrong in this and I will learn.
    Maybe there's something I don't see.
  • Options

<< <i>So tell me where I'm wrong in this and I will learn. >>

It's a little tricky to explain, but the difference is between a "touched" corner and one that has "curl".

The Pitching Leaders card has a corner that is curling. You can see it in the 2nd photo. The corner is not only rounded slightly, but pulled back away from the horizontal flat surface of the card. That type of issue is 6 *max*, in my opinion.

The Maris, from the look of the images you have here, does not have that issue. It has corner wear, but no curl. Still, it looks like a weak 8 that could very well grade a 7 on most days. That one card that looks worse one time received a higher grade does not mean that your raw card will also receive the higher grade. When grading, you need to be objective and take the emotion and financial aspect out of the equation. The card is what it is. You will be much happier, satisfied, and a better grader if you can do this. Good luck!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

Nice card Smitty
    Good for you.
  • Options
    lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭
  • Options
    lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭
    I think it would grade a 7. great looking card, but a little touch on the corners keep it below an 8 in my opinion, but looks as good or better than a lot of 7s.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't use an 8 OC as a measuring stick as if it were a straight 8. PSA is more lenient with the numerical grade when a qualifier is involved.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    dtsadtsa Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Psa 6
    Chaz
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    my opinion doesn't matter.

i have submitted cards that i thought were 9s that come back 7s and ones i thought were 7s that end up 9s.

but from gathering the collective groups thoughts...you got a 6 - 8.

if it comes back a 6, learn to crack and resubmit...

i think it's got great eye appeal regardless...

edited: ...and still waiting on that ryan rookie post.

• Options

<< <i>my opinion doesn't matter.

i have submitted cards that i thought were 9s that come back 7s and ones i thought were 7s that end up 9s.

but from gathering the collective groups thoughts...you got a 6 - 8.

if it comes back a 6, learn to crack and resubmit...

i think it's got great eye appeal regardless...

edited: ...and still waiting on that ryan rookie post. >>

Ryan will come later the beret for last