Home Sports Talk
Options

Horse racing- 2015 Triple Crown

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well here we go again. For the 14th time since 1979 we have a Triple Crown contender. This will be Bob Bafferts 4th try (he is 0-3) at trying to complete the trifecta. Anyone on here care? Predictions?. I myself still hope 1978's winner Affirmed remains the last Triple Crown winner in my lifetime, as his Triple Crown performance was one for the ages. Watch his 3 races if you can find them on video. His battle with Alydar are legendary. Well, we will see in 3 weeks.
Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He looked great in Preakness on a sloppy track and he looked great in Derby on a fast one~IMO it is tougher NOW than ever to win the TC because a fresh field of horses who have been resting up will be gunning for that huge Belmont purse in 3 weeks.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    The Belmont at a distance of 1 1/2 miles usually is the first/last time most, if not all of these horse will run at. It is the great equalizer as none have run this distance before. That last 1/4 is a killer. Speed or up close to the pace is a good angle. Very few horses win this race from "out of the clouds".Most of the horses today are bred for speed. Through the years fans/trainers have become more obsessed with the speed angle. Sadly, this factor and running horses more often have led to more equine breakdowns. Lets hope we do not see a repeat of a "Charismatic" injury like took place in the Belmont some years ago.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won one of our Derby pools w/American Pharoa. I would like to see it happen but the odds are long as always.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He looked great in Preakness on a sloppy track and he looked great in Derby on a fast one~IMO it is tougher NOW than ever to win the TC because a fresh field of horses who have been resting up will be gunning for that huge Belmont purse in 3 weeks. >>

A guy ran a marathon every day for a whole month, but a horse isn't fresh 3 weeks after running for just 2 minutes! smh
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>He looked great in Preakness on a sloppy track and he looked great in Derby on a fast one~IMO it is tougher NOW than ever to win the TC because a fresh field of horses who have been resting up will be gunning for that huge Belmont purse in 3 weeks. >>

A guy ran a marathon every day for a whole month, but a horse isn't fresh 3 weeks after running for just 2 minutes! smh >>

Exactly. Ask any horse trainer, and he will tell you the same. It's a wonder more horses don't break down while racing, given how thin and spindly the bottoms of their legs are and the punishment they are subjected to for running 35 mph for 1 mile+. The only thing you'll see a marathon runner break down from is exhaustion~and very few, if any, have to be put down afterwards, too..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been wrong several times on this question since 1978... I'll just keep my thoughts to myself for the moment

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great, great horse, for sure, but I think the mile and half trip may be too much. Brutal race.

Hope I'm wrong, as he has been so impressive --- would love to see another Triple Crown Winner.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Lots riding on "Pharoah" to win the Belmont. Rights for breeding sold to Coolmore Farms. They take control of that aspect in 2016. He will race rest of year and likely will call it a career by end of year. Be worth more/make more in the breeding shed. $$$ is in the breeding. Racing is just the advertisement for same.One must enjoy the horse stars while they are here. Usually they retire by age 5 unless they are geldings.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

A guy ran a marathon every day for a whole month, but a horse isn't fresh 3 weeks after running for just 2 minutes! smh >>

Exactly. Ask any horse trainer, and he will tell you the same. It's a wonder more horses don't break down while racing, given how thin and spindly the bottoms of their legs are and the punishment they are subjected to for running 35 mph for 1 mile+. The only thing you'll see a marathon runner break down from is exhaustion~and very few, if any, have to be put down afterwards, too.. >>

And the marathon runners don't have to worry about getting whipped in the butt over and over and over!
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Admittedly I'm a fare weather horse racing fan but I have seen the first two races and I have a question. Does the competition seem weaker than in years past? Pharaoh is a great horse but you usually hear of at least one or two horses that are near his level.
  • Options

<< <i>Admittedly I'm a fare weather horse racing fan but I have seen the first two races and I have a question. Does the competition seem weaker than in years past? Pharaoh is a great horse but you usually hear of at least one or two horses that are near his level. >>

Depending on your perspective there have been many "great" horse since 1979 who have tried/failed to win the Triple Crown. Some with faster speed rating/times than Pharoah. He may be just the best of a weak lot. The thing to consider here is the 1 1/2 mile distance. It is the great equalizer and many "great" ones have met there match here. To me it is this aspect that makes all these horses of equal caliber. As stated before in one of my previous posts, it is an unknown distance for these equines. Some trainers have traditionally "lay in wait" for this race to "ambush" a Triple Crown contender. For myself (and it may be construed as a selfish one) my main concern is "protecting" the legacy of my all time favorite horse "Affirmed" the last Triple Crown winner. It is my hope he remains the last one during my lifetime. So with that in mind I will bet on "Pharoah" to win as I have done with all previous Triple Crown contenders that went into the Belmont needing a victory in that race to secure the title. As in all the 13 previous times that there was a TC contender my win bet seemingly put the "hex" on that horse to come up short.The way it looks now there will be 11 entants for the Belmont which includes "Pharoah". There may be some defections as horses could be injured in their A.M. gallops or from something as simple as a stall mishap. I'm looking forward to the race. And if history is made and we do crown a new TC champion so be it. I will embrace the outcome for the effort it took to win this grueling schedule of 3 races I hope that all of the horses survive the distance in good health and that there are no injuries to these magnificent equines.
  • Options
    I would love to see a TC winner this year~I think it would be a tremendous boost to a sport that desperately needs one.

• Options
    I've always thought this passage about Secretariat to be rather fascinating~the greatest horse in racing history and holder of the all time record for fastest time in all three Triple Cown races. From Wikipedia:

A necropsy revealed his heart was significantly larger than that of an ordinary horse.[37] An extremely large heart is a trait that occasionally occurs in Thoroughbreds, linked to a genetic condition passed down via the dam line, known as the "x-factor".[37][39][40][41] The x-factor can be traced to the historic racehorse Eclipse, which was necropsied after his death in 1789. Because Eclipse's heart appeared to be much larger than other horses, it was weighed, and found to be 14 pounds (6.4 kg), almost twice the normal weight. Eclipse is believed to have passed the trait on via his daughters, and pedigree research verified that Secretariat traces in his dam line to a daughter of Eclipse.[37] In the 20th century, the heart of Phar Lap was weighed and also documented to be 6.35 kilograms (14.0 lb),[42] or essentially the same size as that of Eclipse.

At the time of Secretariat's death, the veterinarian who performed the necropsy, Dr. Thomas Swerczek, head pathologist at the University of Kentucky, did not weigh Secretariat's heart, but stated, "We just stood there in stunned silence. We couldn't believe it. The heart was perfect. There were no problems with it. It was just this huge engine."[38] Later, Swerczek also performed a necropsy on Sham, who died in 1993. Swerczek did weigh Sham's heart, and it was 18 pounds (8.2 kg). Based on Sham's measurement, and having necropsied both horses, he estimated Secretariat's heart probably weighed 22 pounds (10.0 kg),[37] or about two-and-three-quarters times as large as that of the average horse.

• Options

<< <i>I would love to see a TC winner this year~I think it would be a tremendous boost to a sport that desperately needs one. >>

What would be of an equal boost to the troubled sport would be to have the "stars" of the sports stick around a little bit longer, into the ages of 4,5,6. Not trotted (no pun intended) off to the breeding shed. But of course that is where the $ resides. Just think if Mike Trout/Bryce Harper played for 3-4 years then retired while still playing excellent ball.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was clad to see that the greatest horse ever "Secretariat" was finally mentioned in this thread. There hasn't been another horse close him since. Probably never will be. I watched all 3 of those races in total amazement! Especially the one where he crossed the finish line before the rest of the pack was even in view.

Greatest horse ever!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I was clad to see that the greatest horse ever "Secretariat" was finally mentioned in this thread. There hasn't been another horse close him since. Probably never will be. I watched all 3 of those races in total amazement! Especially the one where he crossed the finish line before the rest of the pack was even in view.

Greatest horse ever!!!! >>

Indeed. He won the Belmont Stakes by 31 lengths. I believe he was voted SI Sportsman of the year in 1973. IIRC his race in the Preakness was later readjusted time wise so he ran the race in a faster time then was recorded as the final winning time after the race.
  • Options
    Well it may have just gotten a little easier for American Pharoah in this Sat. Belmont Stakes. 2 horses dropped out Mon. This leaves the potential field at 8 horses, including "Pharoah". Post positions will be drawn Weds. Todd Pletcher has 2 horses entered. Although he has a poor record in the Derby and Preakness he is a trainer to watch in this race, as he is NY based.One of his charges may serve as the "rabbit" to run with "Pharoah". NYRA will limit the crowd to 90,000 after an overflow crowd last year caused many issues, none the least was accomodating the large crowd in regard to food,bathrooms, and betting issues. From what I understand even departing the track last year had it's problems. Will be unfortunate for those that will not be able to get in that wanted to, especially if Pharoah completes the triple crown.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I was clad to see that the greatest horse ever "Secretariat" was finally mentioned in this thread. There hasn't been another horse close him since. Probably never will be. I watched all 3 of those races in total amazement! Especially the one where he crossed the finish line before the rest of the pack was even in view.

Indeed. He won the Belmont Stakes by 31 lengths. I believe he was voted SI Sportsman of the year in 1973. IIRC his race in the Preakness was later readjusted time wise so he ran the race in a faster time then was recorded as the final winning time after the race. >>

1973 Belmont was easily the most jaw dropping event I have ever witnessed. It was a 5 horse field and a virtual match race with Sham a beast in his own rights through the first half mile neck and neck. Then bam.....2 length lead, then 4 lengths then bam......10 lengths. Five seconds later they had to go to a wide angle lens to get Secretariat and Sham in the same picture. In the stretch he demanded attention and feed off the crowd. He was a beast. The beast

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    "He is moving like a TREMENDOUS MACHINE!!""

• Options

Secretariat's "ability" was largely attributed to what amounts to a rare coronary genetic defect. Do a little research on it. It's very interesting. The physically largest heart ever witnessed of any thoroughbred was Secretariat. The 2nd largest was Sham.
  • Options
    Well the eve of the big day,at least for horse racing fans has arrived. The Belmont Stakes will be run Sat. History may be made or another year will have gone by w/o a TC winner. This contest will conclude the Triple Crown chase. As we know "American Pharoah" hopes to complete the trifecta and become the first TC winner since 1978. He will face 7 rivals hoping to derail his quest. According to some trivial that was posted today, no TC winner has ever had to beat more than 4.4 rivals. "AP" faces 7. How they come up with a .4 horse is derived from averaging it out over the previouis TC winners fields. I am going with the uncoupled stablemates of Todd Pletcher. #'s 3 and 8 to win. He is a NY based trainer and would like nothing better to win this race in his own backyard. He has publicly stated a few days ago that his plan is to send out his #8 horse to the front to keep "AP" "company" on the front end so as not to allow "AP" a leisurely early pace. He will be the "rabbit". His other charge #3 will try to sit mid pack and hope to strike off a fast or honest pace. If "AP" gets loose with a soft early pace he will be tough to beat. Traditionally horses who are far,far back do not win this race. Keep in mind this is the first and probably last time these competitors will race at this distance. "AP" may very well win this race, but a saying from an old time handicapper named Harvey Pack, he of NY racing notoriety, had a theory. He said never bet a horse as a favorite that has never won at that particular distance. With that in mind I will avoid the hype and rest my chances on the Pletcher duo. Whichever way you may play or whom you choose, "Good luck". Lets hope for a even break at the start and a clean and safe race for jockey and animal alike. And all come out injury free. Soon they will be "off".
  • Options
    He did it!! Wire to wire, and pulling away down the stretch!! Congrats to a racing champion!

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 3:41PM
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good stuff! image
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I won one of our Derby pools w/American Pharoa. I would like to see it happen but the odds are long as always. >>

I just bet on the one that does his business right before the race starts image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Congratulations to the champion. Welcome to the TC club.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the beginning of the front stretch it looked to me like AP leveled off and the field (Frosted) was catching up.
    At that point AP maintained then gapped the field.
    That was fun.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress