Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A card vs holder exercise: 1975 Topps Regular Ryan (Grades Now Posted)

The card vs. holder topic is hot and heavy around here. So I am going to show 3 different 75 Ryans and your task is to order them from the which you like best to worst. I will reveal the grades later tonight. Here we go:

1. image

2. image

3. image

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is 3 faded compared to the others or is the scan just a little bit different for some reason?
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, personally, I'd rank best to worst as:

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is 3 faded compared to the others or is the scan just a little bit different for some reason? >>

It is the scan I believe.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    I'll go 3, 1, 2, but it's pretty tough with such small scans and without back scans.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to buy 3 right now!

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll go 3, 1, 2, but it's pretty tough with such small scans and without back scans. >>

I think that the second one is 3rd for sure based on the tilt. 1 and 3 both have positive attributes with centering on 3 being the best and corners on one are stronger. All nice cards so you cannot go wrong.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just going by the scans, I would also go 3-1-2 but since you're going through this exercise. I'm guessing maybe 2 comes out on top.
    Daniel
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    2, 3, 1

Sorry, I'm dyslexic; meant to say 1, 3, 2!!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Number 3 seems to have best centering and corners.
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>Number 3 seems to have best centering and corners. >>

Corners and centering are the only things I can attempt to judge from scans, and there is more than that to grading cards so I can't tell.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    1, 3, 2

Print mark on 2nd card is deal breaker, plus focus looks off.

# 1 seems to have best focus, don't mind the T-B centering.

# 3 nice, but colors look a little light.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Rich. 1,3,2.
  • Options
    RyanAdmirerRyanAdmirer Posts: 632 ✭✭
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    3-2-1

I could also see 3-1-2
  • Options
    It is time to reveal the cards. Thanks for everyone who played. In reality, there are no right or wrong answers. The beauty of a card is in the eye of the be"holder". The great thing about this hobby is that we all like difffernt things about various specimens. I do want to say that I purchased card 3 today. The centering was what made me pull the trigger.

1. image

2. image

3. image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got a beautiful card for the grade, John! No. 1 is also nice though bottom right corner is touched which is why it's not in a Mint 9 holder, but I'd take your 7 over the 8 any day of the week.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is hard to believe that there is a better looking PSA 7 than the one you just bought. Well done.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great card-- and if you ever sell it, insist on 8 money! image

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    Thanks guys. I have looked for a solid 8 for a long time, but this nice 7 popped up on my radar, so I could not resist. Matty, I give you credit for changing my eye for the diamond in the rough so to speak.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is hard to believe that there is a better looking PSA 7 than the one you just bought. Well done. >>

After the grades I've gotten on my '75 subs, I can believe it. I've had at least three cards I thought were automatic 9s come back 7s, and that's the only year where I've had that experience.
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards. I love collecting multiples of certain cards too.

For the record, I thought 3,1,2 was the best to worst!