Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New level for 86 Jordan

Is the 5k range going to be the new norm on this card?
Or higher? Will this push a PSA 10 to 20k soon? Thoughts

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The card has definitely found a new level in the 3k range and up. There can be anomalies in card prices and I think it will take some time before the card consistently sells for that. Not all PSA 9's are equal. I have owned one copy and sold it for break even a few years ago. With hindsight being 20/20 I would have just taken the $1,250 out of my account to buy other cards instead of selling it but that is life. That said it was closer to an 8 then a 10 and I bought it for several hundred lower then other PSA 9's at the time. With a relatively large population I would think a wave of supply would come out and keep the card from advancing to that level in such a brief period of time. Just a guess.

By the way check out this card.

86 Checklist

It seems the set is absolutely on fire of late. This card has moved up several thousand and tons of other cards from the set have exploded.

• Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭
    I am looking at a couple of psa 9's right now
    And trying to figure out how high to go
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am looking at a couple of psa 9's right now
    And trying to figure out how high to go >>

The one thing the Jordan really has going for it is it has been a really strong card since the late 80's. Anyone who has read a hobby publication is very aware of the card and most likely wanted to own a copy but it was out of reach. I can recall getting a neighbor into card collecting at that time and he was looking at it more from an investment standpoint. The card he bought was the Jordan for $200 at a show in Orlando. We were so envious. This translates into 30 somethings who can now afford higher priced cards chasing it.

You can show anyone a Michael Jordan rookie card and their eyes light up and say wow that must be expensive. How much is it worth? Or OMG that is so cool.

Both translate into green in the card business.

• Options
    markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    I bought my PSA 8 for $1033 in 1998. It now rests in an 8.5 holder. At the time 9s were in the 2700 to 3000 range. So for long term it has taken the card 17 years to get back to where it was as Jordan was winning his last championship. At one time 9s got down to close to the 1000 mark. It all comes in cycles. We are just seeing a resurgence right now. It's the 1961 Chamberlain, West, Robertson, Baylor and 1957 Russell who have consistently gone up in value and hold value. I sold a PSA 7 Clemente 1963 Topps for 200 around 2001 and bought an Oscar Robertson rookie in PSA 7 for the same price. 14 years later the Robertson goes for close to $600 and the Clemente hasn't changed in price. For investment purposes. I think those older cards will be the better investments. I love the 1986 Fleer Jordan!! It is iconic on many levels. I just think it's overpriced. I can't understand why people pay 400 to 500 for PSA 3s when you can buy an 8 for 1000. Just my thoughts.
  • Options
    RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    I'll throw this out there:

Could this set in PSA 9 be in higher demand than an all 10 set, leading to strong sales of PSA 9's?

There is no way I could afford an all 10 set, and would find it hard to spend 5K on a Johnny Moore or checklist PSA 10, but I really wanted an all PSA graded set. An all 9 set is more in my price range.
  • Options
    60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    The '87 Jordan PSA 10 is about to hit $2,000 and shows no signs of slowing down.