Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BF's Pete Maravich & LSU Collection Thread

I've been meaning to start this thread for a while. Growing up around Baton Rouge and graduating from LSU, Pete's legacy is engrained into my culture. So it was an easy decision to start collecting him. I recently completed the basic set and am currently working on the master set. I'm always looking for upgrades and oddball pieces for my collection, so if you have anything, let me know. I'll also be adding professional athletes that attended LSU as I expand my collection. Here are a few scans to get started:

imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    More! We want MORE!!
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>More! We want MORE!! >>

+1. Lets see some more. Pistol Pete you can never get enough of.
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Love these kind of threads and love all things Pistol Pete!! Thanks for sharing, looking forward to seeing new additions.
  • Options
    60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    Memory Lane had a'72 PSA 10 in their recent auction............the '71 PSA 10 is also a very low pop card.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Saw some vintage highlights of that guy a few months back. He was an entertainer for sure. Fun to watch. Nice cards.

M
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Bravesfan007Bravesfan007 Posts: 186 ✭✭
    Thanks for the comments. I'm not a huge fan of multi player cards, although it's nice to have other HOFers on the cards. Here are my latest pickups.

imageimage
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice cards. Thanks for starting this thread. I remember watching a movie about Pistol Pete's life as a kid and wanting to learn to do some of those moves.
    Steve
  • Options
    Bravesfan007Bravesfan007 Posts: 186 ✭✭
    Picked this one up, which I didn't previously have. Probably his second hardest "mainstream" card to obtain in high grade (besides the rc). Bottom two corners are dinged, but other than that, it's good considering the black border. Check out the Havlicek speedo. Thanks for looking.

• Options
    Here are my latest additions. Those Sportscaster cards are shockingly HUGE.

Upgrades

New additions
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'm gonna love this thread! Great thing about Pistol Pete cards is how reasonable they are in higher grades. The only thing that will keep you from completing the Master Set is the '72 Comspec which is extremely hard to find. I was short the rookie in the basic set at one time, but sold them all off. I did pick up a well centered SGC 8 '72 Topps which is still my favorite card of his. Good luck!
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice collection. Especially like the 79. Very sharp

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Some awesome additions. That 79 really pops. Thanks for the update.
  • Options
    Speaking to what Mires said. The 72 Comspec card is certainly my white whale. There's another card on the master set that I've never seen. The 1980 Sportscaster Finnish. If anybody runs across these, let me know.
  • Options
    Scarlem21Scarlem21 Posts: 238 ✭✭✭
    The Comspec is tough, took me years to find this one. Actually, it found me! My BST posting on Net54 showed up in Google and someone looking to sell one saw my post. We made a deal later that day!

1972 Comspec Maravich PSA 3
  • Options
    Haven't updated this in a while. Lots of recent pickups incoming:

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love this thread. Keep them coming
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    More new arrivals this week. Thanks for looking...

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    And last ones of this recent batch are two upgrades. Neither are easy to find in this condition. The 74 especially! Very clean sharp copies...

imageimage
  • Options
    I love the Pistol cards! His RC is a hideous looking photo in my opinion, but nothing you can do about that!
  • Options
    Love the Bert and Tommy C. I finished e basic Topps set in PSA 9 and working on Casanova in PSA 9 as well.
  • Options
    rexvos, I'm almost finished with the Bert Jones set. I notice there is no Casanova registry set. Somebody needs to submit that image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Bravesfan007
    rexvos, I'm almost finished with the Bert Jones set. I notice there is no Casanova registry set. Somebody needs to submit that image

I was the one that submitted for the Bert Jones set. I only have 4 Casanova PSA 9s so I am 1 short of the prerequisite 5 cards needed to submit for it.

I may work on a Maravich player set if I ever get my current projects finished.
  • Options
    very cool indeed nice stuff
  • Options
    Not an easy card to find in this condition. Fairly low pop. Only a few higher.

• Options
    Early 60s Fleer football are some of the best sets of all time, and I don't think any card from those sets is as cool as the 62 Cannon. Congrats on landing an awesome example of it!
  • Options
    Great Cannon. I need to upgrade my 7 eventually.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the thread!.... Especially since LSU will have to come to Rupp Arena on Saturday to play UK! Looking forward to it!

Shane

• Options
    We beat ya'll the first time. But things are different now! The team isn't playing well at all. Our postseason hope are all but over.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Bravesfan007
    We beat ya'll the first time. But things are different now! The team isn't playing well at all. Our postseason hope are all but over.

I still think LSU could make a run. They sure scare me....especially Simmons. But, it is at Rupp and we hardly ever lose at Rupp.

Y'all need a coaching change. I would let Johnny Jones recruit, but keep him off of the sidelines. He is not a good coach, IMHO.

Shane

• Options
    New additions. Had that Jazz team card graded myself. Not an easy one to find. Thanks for looking.

imageimage
  • Options
    The 1961 Fleer Jim Taylor along with the 1962 Topps aw my two favorite issues of him, since his RC and 1960 Topps card both feature someone else.
  • Options
    Nice Jazz team card! The '74 and '75 Maravich cards are my favorite right behind '71 and '72.

The only card from my basic set that I regret selling was a '74 graded 8.5.
  • Options

Just found this old post. Anyone still reading? I finally nailed the 1980 Maravich Sportscaster Finnish but only a PSA 5 but I think there’s only 2 higher. Now to find the Comspec and Royal Crown Colas....

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PistolPete2020 said:
    Just found this old post. Anyone still reading? I finally nailed the 1980 Maravich Sportscaster Finnish but only a PSA 5 but I think there’s only 2 higher. Now to find the Comspec and Royal Crown Colas....

Comspec's are out there, just pretty crazy priced. The Royal Crown is tougher to find in my opinion, one sold on eBay a few months ago. Do you only collect cards PSA will grade or do you collect anything Maravich?

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

@PistolPete2020 said:

Congrats on the Maravich Finnish. That is not an easy one to find for sure. Post a pict when you get a minutes.

• Options

@Kid4hof03 said:

@PistolPete2020 said:

Comspec's are out there, just pretty crazy priced. The Royal Crown is tougher to find in my opinion, one sold on eBay a few months ago. Do you only collect cards PSA will grade or do you collect anything Maravich?

Sorry i missed replies on this thread. Collecting any cool unique items of Maravich. I have most of the standard graded cards PSA does, and even single and double sided Mattel discs from 71 graded that PSA won’t grade anymore. Also snagged a 1/1 wrongback that Beckett graded since 1 whole set had the issue of Topps 77 Hockey with 78 basketball backs. I snagged the Maravich back. I refuse to pay those PSA Comspec prices on ebay lol

• Options

@JBrules said:

@PistolPete2020 said:

Congrats on the Maravich Finnish. That is not an easy one to find for sure. Post a pict when you get a minutes.

Here it is:

• Options

@PistolPete2020 said:

@JBrules said:

@PistolPete2020 said:

Here it is:

Thanks for posting. Pretty cool addition for sure. I just picked up an Italian Johnny Bench and hope it makes to me from overseas.

• Options

@JBrules said:

@PistolPete2020 said:

@JBrules said:

@PistolPete2020 said:

Here it is:

Thanks for posting. Pretty cool addition for sure. I just picked up an Italian Johnny Bench and hope it makes to me from overseas.

That’s great. Hope it makes it to you. That’s gotta be hard to find