Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Next card to skyrocket?

Whats your thoughts on the next card to
Start to climb fast? The Jordan rookie has
Taken off the last few months. Gwynn did as well
With his passing and Jerry rice 9's have climbed. The
Bird/magic Rc has had a steady increase but what is next?
Let's say from 1995 and older.... Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    1989 Upper Deck Griffey Jr. should have a small but steady increase leading up to his hall of fame nod in 8 months.

1992 Fleer Ultra and Bowman Mike Piazza should have a bump as he has a decent chance of making the hall of fame this next time too

1993 SP Jeter's have seen a nice increase the past couple of years....especially the PSA 9's (and most definitely the PSA 10's). I see that card increasing more over the next few years as we march toward his eventual hall of fame bid in 4.5 years. Ive been grabbing a few of the SP rookie cards as well as self-submitting several PSA 10's of his 1993 Topps card. Right now the 1993 Topps PSA 10 Derek Jeter is around $100. I can see that being between $150-$200 in the next couple of years.

Other than the hall of fame chases, I don't know. The 86 fleer Jordan rookie has seen a very nice increase in the last 6-12 months. I bought a PSA 8 for about $800 and now that thing is over $1000. I don't know how much more that will increase...but his popularity is still sky high, especially overseas.

Mantles seem to also be increasing. his 51 bowman and 52 topps have just exploded the past couple of years.

As morbid as it may sound....you can speculate on which hall of famer will "kick the bucket" next and try to cash in on their rookie cards getting the "death bump". Most recently I noticed that with the Tony Gwynn's . His 83 Topps had a good price bump right after he passed.

It's all speculation at this point. Im sure some of those I listed above will go up....some will probably stay flat. I don't see any of them going DOWN though.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm wondering if $25k+ is the new normal for a PSA 8 Clemente RC. I was the first to pay $10k+ for one a few years back (based on VCP historical data) and it hasn't dropped below $10k since. Now we have two consecutive $25k+ transactions. It's hard to believe that it wasn't all that long ago that a PSA 9 sold for $36k.

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Take a look at what the psa 8 Bill Russell rookie sold for in heritage last night and I think you have your answer.
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    To go crazy it's kind of already gotta be a little crazy doesn't it?

I think my current vote would still go to the 86 Jordan in a 10, but honestly any of the high grade (8s and up) vintage baseball RCs have the chance to do it
  • Options
    OckhamsRazorOckhamsRazor Posts: 207 ✭✭

<< <i>1989 Upper Deck Griffey Jr. should have a small but steady increase leading up to his hall of fame nod in 8 months.

1992 Fleer Ultra and Bowman Mike Piazza should have a bump as he has a decent chance of making the hall of fame this next time too

1993 SP Jeter's have seen a nice increase the past couple of years....especially the PSA 9's (and most definitely the PSA 10's). I see that card increasing more over the next few years as we march toward his eventual hall of fame bid in 4.5 years. Ive been grabbing a few of the SP rookie cards as well as self-submitting several PSA 10's of his 1993 Topps card. Right now the 1993 Topps PSA 10 Derek Jeter is around $100. I can see that being between $150-$200 in the next couple of years.

Other than the hall of fame chases, I don't know. The 86 fleer Jordan rookie has seen a very nice increase in the last 6-12 months. I bought a PSA 8 for about $800 and now that thing is over $1000. I don't know how much more that will increase...but his popularity is still sky high, especially overseas.

Mantles seem to also be increasing. his 51 bowman and 52 topps have just exploded the past couple of years.

As morbid as it may sound....you can speculate on which hall of famer will "kick the bucket" next and try to cash in on their rookie cards getting the "death bump". Most recently I noticed that with the Tony Gwynn's . His 83 Topps had a good price bump right after he passed.

It's all speculation at this point. Im sure some of those I listed above will go up....some will probably stay flat. I don't see any of them going DOWN though. >>

I've been going with Jeter's 93 Upper Deck PSA 10. That gold, bottom border makes it difficult to grade a 10. The PSA 10 pop for the 93 Topps is at 1402 while the Upper Deck is only at 385, yet the current market price for those two are roughly the same.
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>1989 Upper Deck Griffey Jr. should have a small but steady increase leading up to his hall of fame nod in 8 months.

It's all speculation at this point. Im sure some of those I listed above will go up....some will probably stay flat. I don't see any of them going DOWN though. >>

I've been going with Jeter's 93 Upper Deck PSA 10. That gold, bottom border makes it difficult to grade a 10. The PSA 10 pop for the 93 Topps is at 1402 while the Upper Deck is only at 385, yet the current market price for those two are roughly the same. >>

I think that the 1993 UD Gold Hologram Jeter has great possibility in higher grades. With only 127 graded compared to 5372 of the regular version, the scarcity coupled with the borders being very sensitive to chipping, etc., it is ripe for an increase.
  • Options
    Mario Lemieux OPC PSA 10 continues to make a slow steady climb and keeps going in my opinion. Only 31 10s and an iconic player. Lots of room to grow even with the spike over the last year.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Koufax
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    berra, but like koufax shout out as well.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Any rookie card of Kris Bryant, if it already hasn't happened!,
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    1991 topps desert shield
    1993 stadium club Derek jeter
    1993 pimnacle Derek jeter
    1987 kahns Barry Larkin
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1987 kahns Barry Larkin >>

Shhhhh!!!!
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    I'm still holding out hope for this one. The demand for this card is zero so no place to go but up.

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭
    ^^^ imageimageimage

The PSA 9 and SGC 96 Jordan RCs in Heritage last night both went for high prices. Granted both examples are nicely centered, but both show minor wear at the corners when you view the big scans. Crazy, but a good kinda crazy...

PSA 9 sells for $5258

SGC example sells for $7170
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    51 Mick and 55 Koufax.

Two classics. The 51 Mick just had two big breakouts in 5 grade, eclipsing 6k each time-- and one was not strong for the grade, which is telling.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    can I see your 2 versions of those cards, matt?

without the flip, of course!
  • Options
    No prob...

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    51 Mick & Mays, 33 Ruth's seem to be climing every week.
  • Options
    Am I the only one who reads all of VintagemanEd's posts as haikus?
  • Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭
    Yes Charrigan I am a famous haiku artist
  • Options

<< <i>No prob...

image >>

stunning Koufax and the eye apeal on the mantle is superb. zero track lines and a lot of times the black line that outlines mick is off causing poor registration and the end of the his bat/yankee emblem on his cap to be fuzzy. like this one:

your's is really sharp!

kudos.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hold onto your hats folks.

I'm poised - waiting for all those '90 Don Russ cards to go thru the roof! image
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks, Begsu. It's a tough, tough card.

With the likes of Ruth, Gehrig, and Mantle all becoming so very pricey, I gotta think Mays and Berra are poised to break out. For Mays all his early issues-- 51B, 52T, 52B, and notorious 53T-- even the 54-57T as well. All pretty cards, huge demand, and he's a player many collectors will look to as the Mantles hit outer space.

Berra is something of a cultural icon, and his statistical accomplishments combined with all the rings, his lovable persona-- his cards may finally start to emerge from the relative shadow of his flashier teammates. He has some classics, too, from the RC to the 52T and the portraits of that great mug of his, talk about a face with character, namely the 51B and 57-- great cards.

• Options
    Well I have about 6k to spend on the wisest choice
    I can make among Mays, mantle, Russell, chamberlain, Jordan etc. Or
    Something else
    Trying to make the best choices for future gain
  • Options
    If that's the goal my bet would be on a 51B mick and maybe also a Mays if any is left over. Sounds like you're gonna have an awesome card soon no matter which way you go!

• Options
    60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    Mays would be a great choice..........along with Johnny Bench or Reggie Jackson!
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well I have about 6k to spend on the wisest choice
    Something else
    Trying to make the best choices for future gain >>

Hmmmmm, I'd say best mantle for the grade.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    High Grade T206 HOFers with Rare Backs...these are roaring
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds- one day they will both make the Hall of Fame and their cards will skyrocket from today's prices.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well I have about 6k to spend on the wisest choice
    Something else
    Trying to make the best choices for future gain >>

$6k to spend?

54 Aaron in PSA 6-7
    55 Clemente in PSA 6-7
    55 Koufax in PSA 8
    56 or 57 Mantle in PSA 8
    68 Ryan in PSA 8
    68 Bench in PSA 8

All Aaron or Mays cards from early to mid 50's as well.
  • Options
    Rtimmer.... I have heard others say that about
    Clemens and bonds and also McGwire....do
    You really see that happening?
  • Options
    RaulsmasterRaulsmaster Posts: 663 ✭✭
    I apparently missed the boat w 1988 Fleer Pippen PSA 10's because they've basically double/tripled within 3 months. I can only attribute that to the sharp rise in it's unopened product which leads you down the road to calculate what unopened has dried up and is on the rise because that seems to be dictating high end singles rise from those products i.e. 1993 SP w the Jeter and the fact that those boxes have pretty much doubled recently as well
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    spot on raul! i put the entire set together about 2 years ago in psa 10 for right at $4k. i about spit a brick when i saw that one hit $1775...mine cost $275. even if a fluke and not paid for, the one the next week went for $900...

wonder what the roy tarpley card would command? was the last card i needed and a pop 11 at the time if i recall...naturally i sent off a sub, but while it was sitting a 10 surfaced...a week later my sub hit and it got a 10. did pretty well off the one i sold but if she sees any type of influx like the pippen has, i cant imagine....
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Rtimmer.... I have heard others say that about
    Clemens and bonds and also McGwire....do
    You really see that happening? >>

I have put my money where my mouth is so to speak, I would imaginge I have the largest Clemens, Bonds, and McGwire unopened pack collection out there. The comparison I am hoping for is that of Shoeless Joe where as time goes by their actions either go back to famous or they are collected as infamous.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    Considering that the 51B Mick has already begun its ascent into the mesosphere with a handful of recent strong sales, I think a more accurate answer to the question in the original post is one card in particular:

The Lou Gehrig Rookie Card from 1925.

The player subject is a towering cultural icon, and probably remains the ideal standard of character, grace, and sportsmanship which we'd like ourselves and our kids to emulate. His peak and career statistics are among the top few in the game's history. And then there's the card itself, an undisputed rookie card-- with astounding rarity to boot. PSA has graded only 19, a whopping 8 of which have a qualifier. SGC has graded only 18. Not even accounting for crossovers and crack-outs, that makes an infinitesimal 37 graded copies of the rookie card of one of the All Time Legends.

Babe Ruth's M101 RC skyrocketed in price in the past decade, and has roughly THREE TIMES the amount of examples at large as compared to the Gehrig RC. I readily concede Ruth is the King of the sport in terms of name, but Gehrig is not too far behind, let alone trailing by a factor of three.

So when one takes into account a special combination of factors a card needs to "break out" like the M101 Ruth did years ago, namely...

1. Legendary player subject
    2. Rookie depiction
    3. Rarity

...the 1925 Gehrig has it all.

Because there are so few, it is not a card that hits the open market with great frequency. Yet when it has, it has been doing quite well, notably with the signed copy in Heritage hitting 35.8k and REA selling an accurately graded 4 for about $5700 this year.

I think all it will take for this card to erupt will be one splashy sale of a high grade example at a major AH. Then people will scramble for it-- but with so few available, that will create big demand for the next copy to surface, and off it goes. A Gehrig biopic from Hollywood along the lines of the Jackie Robinson film could also happen at any point in the future, fueling demand. The good thing for the card is that with the seriously limited supply, iconic player, and rookie status already in place, not much is needed to push the spotlight and demand to that critical tipping point, at which the card-- in the parlance of the original thread post-- "skyrockets."

• Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    I think the 51B Mantle is a great choice for skyrocket potential despite recent appreciation. The more and more I've looked into these cards to own for myself, I continue to find myself leaning toward the 51B.

I think Mays and Berra, and really any of the pre-60s high grade HOFers are good choices as well as I previously posted. However, I'm not sure Mays will really "close the gap" on Mickey. He's just not beloved enough, despite all his on field accomplishments, and he's been a real piece of work to collectors over the years. Aaron has similarly done himself no favors in that department, either.

Of the more recent stuff, I too agree that Clemens and Bonds have virtually nowhere to go but up. Whether they'll go crazy, I doubt pretty seriously because there are way too many cards for that to happen. However, I could easily see their RCs doubling in price in pretty short timeframes. All it will probably take is a 40-50% HOF vote one of these years to really get that ball rolling for them.

Whether or not doubling of a $300-400 card is considered "skyrocket" worthy, I'd probably say no. But, there's probably some good investment potential there for a lot less dollar risk. And some of the Clemens 10s are actually not that easy to find, especially the Tiffany.
  • Options
    The never ending comparison of LeBron to Jordan and the subsequent argument of who was the greater player is driving up the price of 86-90 Fleer Jordan cards.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Agree about the 51B Mantle. Yes, it's going up rapidly but I think in comparison to the 52T, it's still pretty underpriced.

Also, like:

1954 T Ernie Banks RC's
    Think they have a lot of room. Mr. Cub, recently passed, incredible numbers, and a legend all around. Pretty cheap compared to Clemente, Aaron, Mantle, etc

1951B Mays
    Ridiculous career overshadowed by Mick. 51B and 52T are pretty affordable considering it's Willie Mays!

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    And let's not forget Berra in this mix. Icon, exemplary role model and force of good after retiring, insane amount of rings, great numbers.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    86F Johnny Moore
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And let's not forget Berra in this mix. Icon, exemplary role model and force of good after retiring, insane amount of rings, great numbers. >>

Yup. I agree completely Matty

What about Stan Musial? Another icon whose rookie cards are nothing compared to the Big 3
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    He's nasty and I'd list him as top tier in a "tragically undervalued/underrated" thread. Unfortunately due to a confluence of factors I don't see his cards "skyrocketing" like the M101 and 52 Mick have in the last ten years, or what the 51B Mick, 55 Clemente, and 54 Aaron are doing now.

Was talking about it with some collectors who are heavy into Pre War last night-- as it's a fun topic-- and consensus for our little circle was that Gehrig RC I analyzed above. It's always fun to make prognostications and see if they pan out. Mine is that after a high grade example of that card surfaces and goes bananas at an REA or Heritage, the other 30 or so copies at large will see a huge run.

I also like the Berra early issues. Rose RC and 64 always have that huge potential lurking as well. A lot of collectors love the bold colors and remember the status growing up of those early Rose cards. And so many Rose 63s and 64s have serious cutting/centering flaws in terms of overall eye appeal. A reinstatement and resultant media spotlight could spur a fat bump there.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1974 Aaron #1.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds- one day they will both make the Hall of Fame and their cards will skyrocket from today's prices. >>

Yep, but it will take the establishment of a veterans committee for that era before either of them get in. They're still working on the "Golden Era"...Wonder what they'll call it other than the "PED" or "Steroids Era"?
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    The Ryan RC is another one that can see a healthy upward trend. It's arguably "the" key Post War rookie card to have after the 1952 Mick. Surely in the top few, and likely "the" card of its decade. Plus a casual look on eBay shows that the vast majority are cut so very poorly. It's got a huge legend subject with mind-boggling gaudy stat records that may very well stand for eternity, or at least generations, based on how the game is now played. Also has a huge and passionate fan base. I personally buy every nice-looking low-grade copy that I stumble upon, because the burlap border design is forgiving on corner wear and it's a card, akin to the 56 Mantle, that can still ooze eye appeal in lower grade-- just copped this little guy seconds ago on the bay while procrastinating.

I remember as a kid, only one kid in our neighborhood had one. We'd buy packs of 88 Donruss from him because he had a box of 88D in his basement. And, to many of us, his Ryan RC in a screw down was like that golden idol from the opening set piece of Raiders Of The Lost Arc.

Sometimes I am hitting at at the park or running and I think, "5700+ Ks? 383 in a season? All those No-Hitters?" His accomplishments are worthy of a cape.

• Options
    I would agree 1000% on the 1925 Exhibit Gehrig card. I read net54 a bunch and that card gets lots of respect. Only about 30 so it needs a few to hit the auction block like the REA one did.

The Ryan and Rose rooks are no brainers---- those two are always wanted.
  • Options
    matty,

is that a milton or just wear on the koosman edge?
  • Options
    tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    I also agree on the Ryan rookie card. I bought a PSA 8 a few years back and its not perfect but it will turn a healthy margin when I decide to let it go. I just bought a PSA 5 to replace the 8 in my 68 set so I can keep it as a single card and not mess up my set. I really have been lucky on a few cards. Bought a 52 Topps Jackie Robinson a few years before the movie was released which let the general public know just what a significant piece of American history he really was. You just cant go wrong with vintage hall of famer cards that are major stars. They weren't doing PEDs, just drinking cold beer with their steaks and burgers image
  • Options

<< <i>matty,

is that a milton or just wear on the koosman edge? >>

That's a darn good question. PSA graded it a ways back from the flip, which indicates regular Topps. However mistakes can be made. I have to say it doesn't look like uniform edge wear, which leads me to think Milton. But I could be wrong. Either way I am kinda like Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory with Catcher In The Rye on some cards, and the Ryan Rookie is one of them image