Home Sports Talk
Options

The NFL as a tax exempt organization

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
It would be impossible to cite all that went on in the 60s with Pete Rozelle and the marriage of the AFL and NFL, which in turn generated the tax exempt ruling...but, for those who care, just google Pete Rozelle and the NFL non-profit, or tax-exempt. By the way, a better search engine would be duckduckgo...they don't mine your searching like google does.

I was really amazed to think of the NFL as a non-profit...expecially when they pulled in $9 billion last year. The insanity of IRS rulings and Congress are just never-ending.

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crony capitalism at its finestimage

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It would be impossible to cite all that went on in the 60s with Pete Rozelle and the marriage of the AFL and NFL, which in turn generated the tax exempt ruling...but, for those who care, just google Pete Rozelle and the NFL non-profit, or tax-exempt. By the way, a better search engine would be duckduckgo...they don't mine your searching like google does.

I was really amazed to think of the NFL as a non-profit...expecially when they pulled in $9 billion last year. The insanity of IRS rulings and Congress are just never-ending. >>

A few things:

1) The NFL gave up its non-profit status recently.

2) The $9 billion in revenue is all the teams combined, not the NFL itself. The league office pulled in something like $250 million - from dues paid by the teams.

3) It's NFL itself - that is, the league office - that was non-profit and tax-exempt. They were classified as a trade organization. All 32 teams are for-profit and pay taxes.