Home Sports Talk
Options

All time strikeout leaders

royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
It blows my mind that when I first started following baseball (with serious interest in 1980), that the all time strikeout leader (Walter Johnson) is now 9th on the all time list. And, he was almost 400 ahead of second place at the time.

Almost equally crazy is that Nolan Ryan has a whopping 17% more strikeouts than current second place, and a 62% increase over Johnson.
Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not so amazing when you look at the fact that very few players struck out more than 100 times a year in the 1960's and before.

Now they strike out all the time, even the little guys are swinging for the fences. Batting average is not as important as SLG.

Striking out!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    On a related Walter Johnson note, here is something that blew my mind the other day ----- I was looking at a 1961 Topps (I believe) card featuring Johnson with one of his many super human feats. Compared to today's game, where $20 million a year gets you 4 days rest, Johnson once threw 3 complete game shutouts in a period of 4 days!!!!! Can you say pampered babies??
  • Options

<< <i>On a related Walter Johnson note, here is something that blew my mind the other day ----- I was looking at a 1961 Topps (I believe) card featuring Johnson with one of his many super human feats. Compared to today's game, where $20 million a year gets you 4 days rest, Johnson once threw 3 complete game shutouts in a period of 4 days!!!!! Can you say pampered babies?? >>

He had a pretty good ERA to go along with those K's!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IIRC Warren Spahn pitched both games of a DH.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    What could Johnson have done if he had the roids that Nolan had?
  • Options

<< <i>What could Johnson have done if he had the roids that Nolan had? >>

I must have missed it............when did Ryan get accused of doing roids?