Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

NEWPs: Ancients. Yes, I have been bad.

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
These three came at me at once and price/quality ratios. A bit painful, yet really nice pieces that fit my taste.

I have looked at the Selinus pieces in auction catalogs and could not find a well centered piece. The Ancient Greek colony of Selinus in Sicily, was named after wild parsley that grew abundantly there; Selinountian coins depicted a parsley leaf as the symbol of the city. The name "celery" retraces the plant's route of successive adoption in European cooking, as the English "celery" (1664) is derived from the French celeri coming from the Lombard term, seleri, from the Latin selinon, borrowed from Greek. Fascinating stuff!

SICILY. SELINUS. Ca. 540-480 BC. AR Didrachm. 20mm, 9gr. Obv. Selinon leaf. Rev. Incuse square with linear patterns. Arnold-Biucci Group I; Selinos Hoard 20 (same dies); SNG ANS 676 (same dies); HGC 2, 1207 (same dies as illustr.). Attractively toned and well struck. NGC graded Ch AU 5/5, 5/5.

The Tyrian Shekel is a historical coin - WIKI - during in the Roman Empire took on an unusual role as the medium of payment for the Temple tax in Jerusalem, and subsequently gained notoriety as a likely mode of payment for Judas Iscariot and in the latest standard, which was also the one used for the temple tax, the coins bore the likeness of the Phoenician god Melqart or Baal, accepted as the Olympian Herakles by the Greeks and derided as Beelzebub by Jews in the time of the Seleucids, wearing the laurel reflecting his role in the Tyrian games and the ancient Olympic Games.

PHOENICIA. Tyre. 126/5 BC-AD 67/8. AR Shekel. 30mm, 14.29gr. Dated CY 37 (90/89 BC). Obv: Bust of Melqart right, wearing laurel wreath and lion's skin around neck. Rev: Eagle standing left on prow, palm frond over right wing; to left, ÆË (date) above club; ZB to right, Phoenician B between legs. BMC 128. Beautifully centered piece with pleasing eye appeal. NGC Ch. AU 5/5, 4/5. Came in with an auction tag - Stacks April 8, 1989 coin sale, lot 245.

Lastly this Perseus mercenary issue. LordM has a lovely toned and well centered piece. This has the eye appeal and intense look, yet a bit off center. It will do for now until LordM sells his image

KINGDOM OF MACEDON. PERSEUS, 179-168 BC. Pseudo-Rhodian AR Drachm. 16mm, 2.63gr. Obv. Head of Helios.Rev. Rose, EÑMIAÓ magistrate. SNG Keckman 795. Golden iridescent highlights. NGC graded Ch. MS 5/5, 5/5.

Comments

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They seem to have that metal flow radiance all in common. Are you seeking that out, Zohar, or is it just a COINcidence?

On modern coins I kind of like that look. But on ancients I don't. It just seems too modern looking to my uneducated eye.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seek toning and general eye appeal in strike and style. I guess this is my "look" image

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    All of those are nice, but I love that Sicilian.
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh heck yes. Your Selinos didrachm is wonderful. I've been searching for one for a long time and have not found an acceptable example: yours is truly exceptionally attractive.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
    Thanks gents - appreciate it!
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice examples, they are stunning! image
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Killer stuff, as always. Love the Sicily & Perseus.
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Bad indeed Zohar. Get yourself under control.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lastly this Perseus mercenary issue. LordM has a lovely toned and well centered piece. This has the eye appeal and intense look, yet a bit off center. It will do for now until LordM sells his image

KINGDOM OF MACEDON. PERSEUS, 179-168 BC. Pseudo-Rhodian AR Drachm. 16mm, 2.63gr. Obv. Head of Helios.Rev. Rose, EÑMIAÓ magistrate. SNG Keckman 795. Golden iridescent highlights. NGC graded Ch. MS 5/5, 5/5.

image >>

Ha! You got one! image Exact same grade, too! How cool is that? Maybe our pair can go out on play dates or something. Wonder what they'd play at? Probably hoplite battles and phalanx maneuvers with spears.

I'm glad you got one, 'cause I ain't turnin' loose of mine anytime soon. image

PS- I wonder what the pops are? It's possible that you and I jointly have the top pop coins right here? Then again, with hoards and all that, maybe not. (Well, we're certainly at the top of the pops, but how many others are tied for the top grade, is the question.) It's interesting to wonder about. Both of our pieces garnered "perfect" grades that couldn't be improved upon unless NGC had granted a "star". I have yet to be able to second-guess them on that, however, and also have yet to have owned a "star" grade coin. Was sort of surprised mine didn't get one when I submitted it. But I was so happy with the grade that I wept no tears over the nonexistent star.

PPS- look at how amazingly similar the reverse die alignment is on both of our coins.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • like I said via email, the Selinus is a new item to my eye, didn't know it existed

and that is one spooky looking Helios/Larissa

great lookin Tyre Shekel, Melquart's hair and wreath look like they really raise high off the coin image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>that is one spooky looking Helios/Larissa >>

His does look rather vampiric and slightly evil, doesn't it? image

Mine, on the other hand, looks a little daydreamy and maybe a bit sad.

Both have a bit of resemblance to Medusa, as well.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    That is a wonderful Shekel of Tyre.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • TIF2TIF2 Posts: 233
    You've been bad in a very good way image. I'm also looking for the right Selinos.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome coins!
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall advising you to read a book or take up sewing...I mean this is really sick...you just don't listen to your elders now do you?image

I like them all - in terms of Eye Appeal - I get this; I seek toning and general eye appeal in strike and style. I guess this is my "look" xt

...really like that too, and will make a HUGE difference down the road.

The Tyre is the nicest I have seen in a long time - most are shiny ancient silver looks - this one has really nice and stand out fields - well graded as the strike is cool. I can see you liking it.

And you know the Drachm is fantastic looking

<< <i>really like that too, and will make a HUGE difference down the road. >>

Let's hope yet for now its fun putting this collection together.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, you make me want to start collecting ancients !image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great bunch! That Macedonian Drachm is stunning.
  • man those rhodesian (that's a word right?) coins are really growing on me now

I know both of yalls are the macedonian issues for the rhodes transplants to feel at home with, but either those or the rhodes coin that is very similar would be a welcome addition from just having to settle for the poster of all the greek coins that is above my monitor image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=