Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1972 World Series Press Pins

Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

The '69 Mets need little fanfare from me. Everyone here knows about that great season.

Their pitching was incredible in spite of the fact that future superstar Nolan Ryan had an injured groin that year.

Here's a nice small article from that season.

I've always wanted the press pins from that year and finally found them at Hunts for a very fair price for the pair.

These pins come in their original Balfour box:

NY Mets/Baltimore Orioles World Series Press Pin pair.

If you've got anything "Amazin' Mets" or Orioles to share here? Please do.

I was not a Mets fan, but I remember that season like it was yesterday. For me, that win along with Namath's "call" on winning the Superbowl and the startling win by the Tigers in '68 - definitely a "shot group" that's hard to parallel in sports history.

As always, thanx for viewing. image
Mike

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    always thought these were a pretty nice pair.....2 HOFers w/sigs.....never been much of a Mets fan, but couldn't resist the chance to grab 'em.

grats on your pickup Stone.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff, guys! I've always loved Ryan's signature~one of the nicer ones in the game.

Here is my '69 Mets tribute item, courtesy of Fritsch~Mets show Muscle!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Thanx guys - also for sharing something from that event.

Hope others will share - I'm sure we have others?
    Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nice items guys!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Very nice addition to your already awesome collection Mike.

Hey guys, love those autos and cello pack!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Lots of great stuff in this thread. Congrats on the pins Mike! What cool pieces of history!
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike,

Congrats on the great looking pins and in the original box to boot. Now that's Amazin'!!!

I will share one of my favorite pieces which is the Transogram box from the '69 Amazin' Mets set. Sadly I no longer have it. image

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Thanx again guys!

Doug - you're too kind.

Donato - what a great piece - wish you still had it - I would definitely like that in my collection. Good to see you!!!image
    Mike
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Hi Mike!! Those are very cool pins and look like they are pristine!! I need to pick up some Reds World Series Pins for my collection.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some great pieces here guys. Always great to see uncommon items. Tim, is that Grote crossing the plate on your pack? image
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Mike!! Those are very cool pins and look like they are pristine!! I need to pick up some Reds World Series Pins for my collection. >>

Hiya John

Thanx!

I have the '75 WS Red Sox pin but not the Reds - I need it also.

Press pins were all the rage in the early 90s and skyrocketed in price; then they died down - perhaps since there were way more than thought? So, now they're quite affordable.

Are you going to the National?
    Mike
  • Options

Here's an oddball Amazin' Mets beer coaster - 1969.

There's no date but they ceased operations in 1976, so it can't be the 1986 WS.

Mike
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some great pieces here guys. Always great to see uncommon items. Tim, is that Grote crossing the plate on your pack? image >>

Thanks, John~I believe it is Clendenon, #12.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Some great pieces here guys. Always great to see uncommon items. Tim, is that Grote crossing the plate on your pack? image >>

Thanks, John~I believe it is Clendenon, #12. >>

I'm not sure. The guy crossing the plate looks like a white dude.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Boswell wore #12 in '69, Clendenon was #22.

ETA: Found this interesting tidbit while looking that up, so many more zeros these days....

1969 New York Mets Salaries
    Tom Seaver $40,000.00
    Bobby Pfeil $14,000.00
    Nolan Ryan $12,000.00
  • Options
    Hi everyone

I found this really nice Mets WS Classic 1969 Champ pin to companion with the press pins.

My first thought? Fantasy piece? The only thing that has me thinking it's genuine? The fact that the ribbon has printing on it - the fantasy pieces I've seen have brand new ribbons - but no printing on them.

I'm considering getting a Mets and Orioles ticket stuff also - the Mets ticks are pricey.
    Mike
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2017 6:48PM

I’m sure there’s many here who remember the WS of ’72. I was in college at the time and to be honest - had no idea who Reggie was.

Oakland over the Reds 4 - 3.

So, his absence (hamstring pull) that WS was of no significance to me - other than - Tenace (replaced Reggie).

It was 40 yrs since the Athletics last faced up in the fall classic.

Now we can write volumes on this series - to include a very colorful Athletics owner.

Pitching by Hunter, Odom and Holtzman spoke for itself - and the Big Red Machine also speaks for itself.

People of interest - Tenace filling in for Jackson with his back to back homers and Rudi’s spectacular “catch.”

Tenace was an unlikely MVP - for me reminiscent of Richardson in the ’60 WS.

"It's hard to explain how those things happen (hitting four home runs during the 1972 World Series). I was in kind of a zone mentally, and every pitch I saw from the Cincinnati pitching staff looked down the middle to me." - Gene Tenace

https://youtu.be/NwXpXZEDyew

1972 World Series Press Pins - Balfour

Mike
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 12:14PM