Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Kentucky Derby Triple Crown Tickets

Since the derby is this weekend I figured i would start a derby related thread. I started only getting the ticket stubs from the races of only the most popular horses to use as "rookie card" for my collection. This sort of snowballed into getting all of the triple crown derby tickets. I'm only missing 2 so far. 1941 Whirlaway and 1919 Sir Barton. The 1941 is relatively common and i'm just waiting for one to come for sale at a good price. The 1919 could be impossible. There is one graded but i have never seen once for sale. As a place holder i have the Man O War vs Sir Barton match race ticket. Man O War won that race is widely considered the greatest race horse ever so i'm glad i have something to represent that horse.

1978 1st Affirmed 2nd Alydar 3rd Believe It

1977 1st Seattle Slew 2nd Run Dusty Run 3rd Sanhedrin

1973 1st Secretariat 2nd Sham 3rd Our Native

1948 1st Citation 2nd Coaltown 3rd My Request

1946 1st Assault 2nd Spy Song 3rd Hampden

1943 1st Count Fleet 2nd Blue Swords 3rd Slide Rule

1941 1st Whirlaway 2nd Staretor 3rd Market Wise

1937 1st War Admiral 2nd Pompoon 3rd Reaping Reward

1935 1st Omaha 2nd Roman Soldier 3rd Whiskolo

1930 1st Gallant Fox 2nd Gallant Knight 3rd Ned O.

1919 1st Sir Barton 2nd Billy Kelly 3rd Under Fire
Not a derby ticket but a Sir Barton Ticket as a place holder for now

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

Comments

• VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    If anyone is going, I need souvenir win tickets for the field!

And that collection is awesome.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Very nice tickets. Unfortunately I used to be at the ponies all the time. Loved it!

All I have is a $2.00 win bet from the local OTB on Secretariat from the 1973 Derby. I was only 15 at the time, but I remember asking my dad to get me the ticket. Still have it somewhere around the house.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's one superb collection!

I remember the last triple crown winner - was in school and saw it on TV - I believe it was on Wide World of Sports.

I collect sports related whiskey decanters.

Here's a horse that "never was."

Man O' War - decanter

This is one of the greatest horses of all time but was not entered in the derby for fear the horse was too young.

Mike
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Those tickets are great. I'm on the way back from the Thurby event. What a great day for horse racing.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome collection! Have lived in Louisville my whole life, love everything about the Derby. Looking forward to a great weekend... been making some wagers the last couple days, getting warmed up for the Oaks and Derby!
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking group. I like the 36/37 SA pass. The border design and SA lettering in the middle has an old style currency style to it.Never miss the TC races.Still remember the last TC winner- Affirmed. My all time favorite equine.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Very nice items. My wife is from Louisville and daughter lived in Lexington for a time. Years ago in touring horse farms in the Lexington area we had a chance to visit and interact with both Seattle Slew and Affirmed. At that time both were getting $ 300,000 a pop with no guarantees of popage. That was their life, eating, sleeping and popping. They were both successful at stud while Secretariat was a bust.

For awhile my daughter collected Kentucky Derby winner cards. But my favorite horse of all time finished last in the derby in 1975. Bombay Duck was in the lead and had run the fastest 3/4 of the race in history when he was struck by a beer can thrown from the infield. That incident changed to this day how close spectators in the infield can get to the track

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    i went to the derby in 2009 the year mine that bird won at 50-1. It was a great trip. i've been a fan ever since. Tomorrow has potential to be a legendary day in sports. Derby, Mayweather/Pacqiao fight, Sox/Yankees. NBA playoffs.. should be a great day. I'm already 0-3 on the oaks today.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
    Here's another decanter I have commemorating the crown jewel of racing IMO.

Mike
    I like those cards Al - the '78 is special.
    Mike
    the derby was way more exciting than the fight imo. The good news was I hit the Tri but the bad news was it paid nothing. If American Pharaoh wins the preakness the belmonte will be interesting. Hopefully another ticket will need to be added to this collection. Horse racing is the best spectator sport imo. Its a beautiful pairing of drinking, tailgating and gambling.
    Just got the 1943 and 1935 tickets back today. I'll be sending the 1930 ticket on this months special. Hopefully will be adding the 2015 ticket to the list tomorrow
  • NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭
    That ticket collection is fantastic. My father and his closest sister (who retired from OTB) had us around the track from an early age. He is in his mid70s and still goes to Monmouth nearly every week and hits Saratoga 3-4 times a year. Thanks for sharing, I will have to show him this thread when I see him tomorrow for the Belmont. Mixed feelings about this horse winning it, but I guess it's good for the sport. We'll see, this is a grueling distance and is what makes the Triple Crown so difficult to attain.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
    Looks like I'm now 3 tickets short. I hope this will bring some popularity to horse racing.
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They were both successful at stud while Secretariat was a bust. >>

That's such a common statement but it's a myth. While it's true Secretariat never sired a Triple Crown winner, his bloodline has had, and still has, an impact on the breed. Over time, Secretariat came to be known as a great sire of broodmares, some of whom produced winners of the world's great races including the Kentucky Derby, Preakness, Belmont, Travers Stakes, Epsom Derby and Melbourne Cup. And, he certainly was a cash machine for Claiborne Farms far in excess of his $6M syndication price. Any breeder would be happy to have a stallion with these credentials - Some of Big Red's finest produce:

Champions
    Lady's Secret - 1986 Horse of the Year; 1986 Older Female Champion, and more...
    General Assembly - 2nd in the 1979 Kentucky Derby won by the all-time GREAT Spectacular Bid; Won the 1979 Travers
    Risen Star - 1988 Preakness and Belmont winner and somewhat successful stallion
    Kingston Rule - 1990 Melbourne Cup winner
    Tinner's Way - from his last crop won the $1M Pacific Classic is successive years 1994 and 1995

Prolific Daughters (Broodmares)
    Weekend Surprise - dam of 1992 Horse of the Year and super sire AP Indy (who at one time commanded $150,000 per "service") AND 1992 Preakness winner Summer Squall
    Terlingua - dam of one of greatest sires of all-time, Storm Cat, whose stud fee hit $500,000 for a time before the 2008 financial crash.
    Secrettame - dame of Gone West, one of the most prolific and successful sires in the 1990s.

In all he sired 24 Grade 1/Group 1 winners, which by any standards is a success at stud.
    Won this today. Down to just needing 2015 and 1919 which might be impossible. The 1930 ticket is at psa now. Hopefully I can get the 2015 this month to sub with the 1941 ticket.

Just got the 1930 ticket back from PSA

Got this back from psa. There is a 2015 on eBay now but looks like I'll wait until one pops up cheaper. Seems like a common ticket. Once a one sells for a lot several should hit the market.

• With the 3-6 hours of coverage and hype the day of the race, I always miss the 2 minutes of actual race running. Then its to sportscenter for the highlights.

Nice ticket collection.
  • rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Great collection I love the history. Can I ask why you choose to get the Kentucky derby tickets versus the Belmont stakes tickets for your triple crown set? Are they either easier to find or less expensive than the Tripple crown race tickets?
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
    I picked the Kentucky derby because I think it's the most popular of the 3 races. I rarely see admission tickets to Belmont. The win tickets for that race are more common. A lot of people buy win tickets with no intention of cashing them when there is a potential triple crown winner running in the Belmont.
    I have a 2015 ticket at psa now. It was a full ticket but I tore off stub at the perforations so it would fit in the same size holder as the other stubs from the 70s. I wonder if I'm going to have to add a 2016 to the collection.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I dunno. Exaggerator would have caught him today at 1 1/4. We'll see in 2 weeks!

No triple crown winner this year. Would have been very interesting if Tiz won. Tracking down a derby ticket would have fun/expensive. I still need a 1919 ticket. Never seen one for sale

• What would a 1919 ticket be valued at? I have one. I can’t find where one has ever sold.

I sent a dm. I’m interested in it.

Oooops. I haven’t been looking for these in a while. I didn’t know reproductions were out there.

My Citation ticket is currently on display at the Horse Racing HOF. I contacted them about taking all of the Triple Crown tickets since I thought it would be an interesting display. They only wanted the Citation ticket for a Citation specific exhibit. I figured it was a better way for people interested in these sort of things to see than just keeping them in a box.

• I bought it in a collection of stuff from 1908-1960 so was it passed out on some anniversary of the triple crown? The one postcard was postmarked 1908 and there are 2 programs that are dated and an owners pass from 1945. I was unable to get to the blogspot entry specifically about it. Thanks so much for responding to my post.

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

VERY COOL!!

these tickets are great, congrats

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started