Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My first Wellington Peninsular Half Penny Token

1812 Wellington, Peninsular, Lower Canada, Charlton WE-11A1 / Breton-987, 27.5mm Diameter, Copper, Reeded Edge, Half Penny Token

Hard to photograph as in hand it's very red until slightly tilted and then the fields pop since they are lightly blanketed with lovely bluish patina. On the obverse nearly touching the center bust and both sides of the reverse. For now I just wanted an attractive example for type and I'm not sure if I'll collect these by variety unless another example appears on the market which also appeals to me.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice.

I learned about some of those Napoleonic battles named on this token by reading Bernard Cornwell's swashbuckling "Sharpe" series of novels, which had titles like Sharpe's Sword, Sharpe's Gold, Sharpe's This, Sharpe's That, Sharpe's Blood, Sharpe's Guts, Sharpe Kills Dozens of People In Excessively Violent Ways, etc., etc., etc.)*

Good reading, but a bit too monotonously macho for me nowadays. I did enjoy them immensely in my testosterous twenties, though. Cornwell always does his historical homework.

(*OK, yeah. Maybe I made up a few of those Sharpe titles. Apologies to Bernard Cornwell, who is an excellent writer of historical fiction.) image

But I digress.

That's a bit nicer than MY Wellington token. Just a tiny bit. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah there's enough history on these that the more I started researching I knew I wanted one image
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks a bit "optimistically graded" at the current PCGS MS64RB -- the eBay pics always made this example look to have green spots on the obverse. I'm glad to see that's not the case. It's a nice example (most of these are NOT) and it didn't break the bank. Plus, with the favorable Canadian $1 exchange rate right now, nice grab!

It's a nicer example with the Temple provenance -- most of the Temple pieces I have seen up for sale have horrible spotting...

Congrats! image

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    <<I learned about some of those Napoleonic battles named on this token by reading Bernard Cornwell's swashbuckling "Sharpe" series of novels, which had titles like Sharpe's Sword, Sharpe's Gold, Sharpe's This, Sharpe's That, Sharpe's Blood, Sharpe's Guts, Sharpe Kills Dozens of People In Excessively Violent Ways, etc., etc., etc.)*>>

This gets me thing about my only double great great grandfather. He was a British soldier at that time. He deserted twice that we know of and was incarcerated in a naval prison ship and at Portchester Castle. He received full pardons for volunteering for "perpetual foreign service" and was honorably discharged when the wars ended.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks a bit "optimistically graded" at the current PCGS MS64RB -- the eBay pics always made this example look to have green spots on the obverse. I'm glad to see that's not the case. It's a nice example (most of these are NOT) and it didn't break the bank. Plus, with the favorable Canadian $1 exchange rate right now, nice grab!

It's a nicer example with the Temple provenance -- most of the Temple pieces I have seen up for sale have horrible spotting...

Congrats! image

image >>

Thanks I felt it was a good buy and was very pleased when it arrived.

Since all of the Temple tokens are Secure Plus I went right to PCGS to get a feel better feel what this look like.