Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Holder Question

lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
I just got 2 coins back from Pcgs. On both , the coins are sitting crooked left to right. They are both inside the prongs . It almost looks like one side is swelled. If I store them in a warm area will this level out ? Suggestions please ....

Comments

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's possible if you keep them in a warm place and angle the slab in the direction you want it to lay, it will flatten out. BUT, too warm, and the tabs can melt over the coin. I found that out the hard way by leaving a MS65BN IHC in my truck one summer afternoon.
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't know how to advise with the new inserts.

Remember how the old ones sometimes had the coin rotate around a bit? I got the knack of straightening the coins inside those by gently tapping a certain way.

But yeah- um- these new ones, I dunno. Good luck.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the coins are large enough, you can un-tilt them in the holder by banging the holder on a table.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I understand correctly the coins are sitting properly in the prongs but the gaskets are warped. I don't think nudging the coins is what's needed. And I don't think warming the slabs will do much but it's worth a try.

If they're unsightly I'd call PCGS and find out how you can get them fixed at no cost.
    Lance.

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If the coins are large enough, you can un-tilt them in the holder by banging the holder on a table. >>

...but don't bang them too hard or this may happen...

...just kiddin' the coin came this way through the mail...image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's possible if you keep them in a warm place and angle the slab in the direction you want it to lay, it will flatten out. BUT, too warm, and the tabs can melt over the coin. I found that out the hard way by leaving a MS65BN IHC in my truck one summer afternoon. >>

Yikes! Pictures?
  • Options
    I will try , but my picture skills are horrible. And warped gasket is a better way to describe it.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first read the title of this thread I thought that it was OT, referring to the Outgoing US Attorney General who was held in contempt of Congress twice with no repercussions. image

imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be hesitant to try the heat option. I'd pick a side and tap that whole edge on the table or desk. Tapping just a corner will likely rotate the coin.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    I can't image what I am referring to ... It is not a rotation problem. One side of the coin sits higher than the other. They are all seated in the prongs , but just imagine the angle of the coin if one end sat on top of one of the prongs and the other 2 were seated.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kind of understand that one prong doesn't have as good a grasp as the other two and the coin is crooked because of it.

I was just warning you about the tap method. Tapping just a corner is how we rotate a coin. I'd try tapping a whole edge instead of just a corner.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or, they could come delivered like this in the mail....

• Options
    Now that I look closer , it looks like the rubber (I assume that is what it is ) part that holds the coin was not centered when sealed and part of the rubber got smashed down and sealed that way , causing it to sit uneven. I thing I will call customer service tomorrow.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file