Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA 8 1955 Topps Clemente - wonder what it will go for

It's already at $11,800 with 4 days left. Either I'll settle for my PSA 2 or I need to start looking between my couch cushions. PSA pop report shows 121 8's.

Text
Daniel

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw that one earlier today and don't know what VCP is on that grade, but sounded awfully high.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Saw that one earlier today and don't know what VCP is on that grade, but sounded awfully high. >>

$13,700.00.

It shows only one being sold in 2015. That was in January and Memory Lane set a new high at $29,000.00. That's not a typo ... $29,000.00.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    What is it with his card? Is it strictly pop reports? I remember when the Clemente and Koufax rookies were fairly close in price. Has he reached some mythical status, kind of like Shoeless Joe cards outpacing Cobb? Once again, why is Clemente's rookie double the value of Aaron's? Any guesses really appreciated, Tom
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is it with his card? Is it strictly pop reports? I remember when the Clemente and Koufax rookies were fairly close in price. Has he reached some mythical status, kind of like Shoeless Joe cards outpacing Cobb? Once again, why is Clemente's rookie double the value of Aaron's? Any guesses really appreciated, Tom >>

I think PSA rookie Aaron's are selling close to the same amount.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's already at $11,800 with 4 days left. Either I'll settle for my PSA 2 or I need to start looking between my couch cushions. PSA pop report shows 121 8's.

Text >>

You'd think the seller could be bothered to post a scan of the back of the card for a $10k+ item. It will be fun to watch where this one lands though. The days of a sub $10k Clemente PSA 8 RC seem to be well behind us.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is it with his card? Is it strictly pop reports? I remember when the Clemente and Koufax rookies were fairly close in price. Has he reached some mythical status, kind of like Shoeless Joe cards outpacing Cobb? Once again, why is Clemente's rookie double the value of Aaron's? Any guesses really appreciated, Tom >>

I think the difference in price to Koufax is the fact the Roberto is in the high number series. Probably the same thing with Aaron in the '54 set.
    Daniel
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I think the difference in price to Koufax is the fact the Roberto is in the high number series. Probably the same thing with Aaron in the '54 set

That's true, but it did not seem to cause such price differences in the past

.I think PSA rookie Aaron's are selling close to the same amount

I have to disagree with the record Clemente price being about $13,000 more than Aaron's record price. The new SMR shows Memory Lane offering $6800 for a PSA 8 Aaron and offering $14,750 for the Clemente.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    One reason for the price disparity between Koufax and Clemente
    also could be the fact that there are 2x the amount of 8's for Koufax as
    there are for Clemente...
    Good for you.
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    Holy crap, when did this become a $25,000 card? I am out of the loop on this card.

Not to mention the fact you have a crappy, green-tinted scan, a decent amount of tilt, and what appears to be very soft corners up top. Wow! Impressive.

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    absolutely crazy....im one of them..ugh
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    Great story from the early 80s.

My father was a coin and stamp dealer. I coaxed him into getting into cards and memorabilia. I primarily handled high end 50s, 60 and 70s material. He did the autographs, newer sets, etc. Just the opposite of what most people thought when they approached our show tables.

My father works a small coin show. At his coin/stamp table, he has a few autographed balls and pictures. A fellow approached him and asked if he was interested in buying some old baseball cards. My dad agreed to look at them. The guy left the coin show and came back with the cards. My father didn't even have a card price card with him. The cards looked awesome though. So the two of them agreed upon a price of roughly a $1 a card. They were all 55T high numbers!!!! My dad figured he did ok. But wondered how good. He went over to another dealer he knew and asked if he had a BB card price guide. He saw what he had and immediately packed up and left the show early...lol

I can't remember all the cards but I do remember ............not 1 or 2 Clemente rookies...BUT 4!!!!!!! Gorgeous NM and better. There were multiples of most. Snider, Berra ,etc. It was quite a nice little find that stocked my case for a very short time. They sold pretty fast. I think the Clemente cards were around a couple hundred dollars at the time.

Yes, I let my dad make a little profit...lol But I did extremely well on that deal. If here today???? wow...those were the days.

Thanks for listening.....best times of my life were doing 3-4 shows amonth with my dad from 79 til about 92-93. Before the advent of grading.........
  • Options
    WillBBCWillBBC Posts: 56 ✭✭

<< <i>Great story from the early 80s.

My father was a coin and stamp dealer. I coaxed him into getting into cards and memorabilia. I primarily handled high end 50s, 60 and 70s material. He did the autographs, newer sets, etc. Just the opposite of what most people thought when they approached our show tables.

My father works a small coin show. At his coin/stamp table, he has a few autographed balls and pictures. A fellow approached him and asked if he was interested in buying some old baseball cards. My dad agreed to look at them. The guy left the coin show and came back with the cards. My father didn't even have a card price card with him. The cards looked awesome though. So the two of them agreed upon a price of roughly a $1 a card. They were all 55T high numbers!!!! My dad figured he did ok. But wondered how good. He went over to another dealer he knew and asked if he had a BB card price guide. He saw what he had and immediately packed up and left the show early...lol

I can't remember all the cards but I do remember ............not 1 or 2 Clemente rookies...BUT 4!!!!!!! Gorgeous NM and better. There were multiples of most. Snider, Berra ,etc. It was quite a nice little find that stocked my case for a very short time. They sold pretty fast. I think the Clemente cards were around a couple hundred dollars at the time.

Yes, I let my dad make a little profit...lol But I did extremely well on that deal. If here today???? wow...those were the days.

Thanks for listening.....best times of my life were doing 3-4 shows amonth with my dad from 79 til about 92-93. Before the advent of grading......... >>

That's a great story! My wife and I are hoping one of our kids has the collecting gene!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clemente collectors are VERY aggressive, the demand for his cards is very high. He has achieved status in the hobby far above his statistics. I am sure his death while doing humanitarian work adds to his legend.

Both Koufax and Clemente rookies far exceed the rookie card of Harmon Killebrew in price (thankfully for my budget) while I wouldn't say they were better players.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Both Koufax and Clemente rookies far exceed the rookie card of Harmon Killebrew in price (thankfully for my budget) while I wouldn't say they were better players. >>

Wouldnt you say Killebrew was a below average fielder and had a bad batting average and was just a great home run hitter while Clemente was a great fielder with an amazing arm and great all around player? and Koufax an all time great? It doesnt even seem close as to them not being better players