Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$60 error coin fee

When did PCGS go up to $60 on their error coin fee? It's now double the cost of the regular submission fee, I can't understand why someone would choose PCGS over NGC for submitting error coins. I know I'm not going to.

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IDK, not my realm but there are some things that PCGS just does not want to do which is perfectly normal for any business. PCGS charges $250 to weigh a coin and put the weight on a label. They also opt not to label any Discovery Coins which is fine. Every business will define a business model that works for them. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I do not understand why you would use NGC over ANACS myself.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's just $5 more then it's been for years and if you go with PCGS you know it was attributed by Fred Weinberg image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    dibdib Posts: 311

<< <i>I do not understand why you would use NGC over ANACS myself. >>

I personally don't have anything against ANACS' error coin grading, but the market does. Higher priced errors tend to sell for lower in ANACS slabs, which is fine by me as a buyer, but annoying when I need to be a seller.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's just $5 more then it's been for years and if you go with PCGS you know it was attributed by Fred Weinberg image >>

Not always. I've had coins which Fred agreed were of a specific error which PCGS sent back unattributed that Fred never saw.

The price was increased on January 1st of 2015 which is when all their price increases occur.

IIRC, it was $40 in 2008, jumped to $50 in 2009, and then up to $60 in 2015.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds expensive, but it probably is more time consuming for the graders.
    I don't submit nor collect errors so I guess it helps keep my submissions fees down.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That's just $5 more then it's been for years and if you go with PCGS you know it was attributed by Fred Weinberg image >>

Not always. I've had coins which Fred agreed were of a specific error which PCGS sent back unattributed that Fred never saw.

The price was increased on January 1st of 2015 which is when all their price increases occur.

IIRC, it was $40 in 2008, jumped to $50 in 2009, and then up to $60 in 2015. >>

wouldn't it be cheaper for everyone if we just bought FW a stronger glass each year?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    If the coin is worth it $60 won't matter but if not then save the money. On errors I am not sure why it would matter as much.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Allot of you must have forgotten that there used to be two tiers for errors: $35 and $50.
    I have no problem with the pricing. I have used the service before and will continue in the future.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file