Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

qualifier question

If you have a card that has an auto on front that you are pretty sure was not authentic, if you sub that card for regular red flip grading with no autograph authenticity checking, would it be possible for it to come back with a numerical grade plus an MK qualifier, or, would it instead be holdered as Authentic with an Altered qualifier?

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

bump
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    I doubt they would slab it all.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I doubt they would slab it all. >>

I second this, and am only guessing, but I would think that PSA avoids slabbing a card like this because it could easily be misconstrued to a potential buyer as an authentic signature since it is authenticated.
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    If its that valuable, maybe a X through the signature will make it slabbable
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options

I think you're right.

As we all know, not all (MK)'s are created equal. A tiny pencil mark on back gets the same (MK) as that posting someone here had of a slabbed 1967 Topps Clemente with an elaborately defaced front with marker mustache and beard.

So, maybe scribbling a little over the fake auto might be the way to go.

• Options

It is one of the different Franz Beckenbauer RC's. Maybe not relatively that valuable to most, but still a good item that was priced right for me at the time. The card is in nice shape though, so I'd have liked to have it slabbed with a MK qualifier since it would still net a high grade for the registry set (without the DNA on the red flip, it should still qualify for inclusion). I know it isn't that uncommon for a person's signature to morph over spans of years. I can't find any autos by him that are known to have been signed in 1965 instead of possibly having been signed on a similarly dated item but years later, so it is tough to compare. The signature does not match up with the commonly found style most of his have in my opinion, so I am almost sure it isn't authentic, but I can't say for certain since it is possible he changed how he signed at some point.