Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1979 Topps baseball rack case group rip **Scheduled for Saturday night, May 2, 9 pm EST**

Hi all,

As I mentioned in the 79 rack thread, Steve has generously offered us a CU discount on the 3-box 79 rack case he has in stock at a price of $9,720 for the case, or $135 per rack plus shipping. I think that is a very reasonable premium for a rack that you know is coming straight from a sealed case with the very real possibility of racks with stars showing nestled within, having not seen the light of day or been touched by human hands since 1979. I am very optimistic that we will be able to fill all 72 slots. I will start a new thread for rack reservations on Saturday night with all the pertinent details regarding shipping and payments. I think this will be a lot of fun. I can't recall ever breaking a sealed case of rack packs from the 1970s here on CU.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    WooHoo! Nice work Tim!
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet!
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome job Tim, and thanks for the time and effort!! I'm super excited, 79 Topps and pristine racks are two of my favorites!!! Hoping I can land a couple of them. Thanks again.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Nice work Tim!!! I am sure they will all sell out.
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for organizing....look forward to the group break!

Jeremy
  • Options
    DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    Will there be a limit of one or two? Seems like there will be quite a bit of interest.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Will there be a limit of one or two? Seems like there will be quite a bit of interest. >>

Limit will be standard 2 racks per person for first 48 hours. There are 72 racks in the case.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for stepping up and doing this Tim! Looking forward to the case break! This one should sell out for sure!
  • Options
    I dont see this making it past the first 48 hours, or even 1 hour for that matter...certainly there are at least 36 of us that will be on that like white on rice!
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I dont see this making it past the first 48 hours, or even 1 hour for that matter...certainly there are at least 36 of us that will be on that like white on rice! >>

I can't remember, what was the price for 1979 racks in the previous rip where they did not sell?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I dont see this making it past the first 48 hours, or even 1 hour for that matter...certainly there are at least 36 of us that will be on that like white on rice! >>

I can't remember, what was the price for 1979 racks in the previous rip where they did not sell? >>

I believe it was approximately $165 per rack.

• Options
    The fact that these are coming from a sealed case is the appeal to me...and 135 is significantly less than 165!
  • Options
    NICE!!!
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Calling stone183...... Mike, do you have any more 79s for sale???? image

I will be in for one if I make it in time.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    Can Steve put these in the plastic holders and label FASC?
  • Options

<< <i>Can Steve put these in the plastic holders and label FASC? >>

Yes, Steve has agreed to offer the option to either ship the racks raw or to wrap them in a rack holder and label them FASC on the sticker for a flat fee of $5 per rack. Shipping will be $7 for one rack or $9 for two racks in either case.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭
    Question from fairly new member, how does one qualify to participate in this group rip? Is tenure (or lack thereof) a factor?

Thanks
    Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭

<< <i>Question from fairly new member, how does one qualify to participate in this group rip? Is tenure (or lack thereof) a factor?

Thanks >>

No restrictions. This is a pretty welcoming group. Just be sure to read the rules when Grote starts the reservation thread, and make a post in that thread to reserve your purchase. There is usually a limit for the first 48 hours then opens up to more purchases.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Question from fairly new member, how does one qualify to participate in this group rip? Is tenure (or lack thereof) a factor?

Thanks >>

At 8:50 PM Eastern (perhaps a few minutes earlier)
    -grab a beer
    -sit down at your computer
    -type 'I'll take two' in Notepad and copy
    -refresh this forum every 2 seconds until you see the reservation thread pop up
    -quickly click the link
    -click 'Reply'
    -paste
    -click 'Reply to Thread'
    -read what is posted in the first post
    -wait 48 hours
    -repeat (perhaps adjusting the quantity)

No tenure requirements image
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    So while I will be getting mine wrapped, I do have a question for the field:

How much weight, if any, does the FASC designation carry once the initial buyer has seen the top and bottom cards?

I totally get it on trays, but racks and cellos, not so much.

Again, I get why it makes sense to the initial buyer, but not sure on subsequent buyers.

Would be cool to see them wrapped incognito in brown wrap and then shrinked and authenticated FASC, as I can see where that would be intriguing to a potential buyer.

Anyway...just curious.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭
    vintage fun--I agree with you, not sure secondary buyers will pay more for a FASC designation.

I am not sure having a 79 rack with the players on the front and back showing marked FASC will demand much more of a premium to the secondary buyer. It might be worth a few more bucks, probably the cost of holdering it. ($5.00). That being said, I am still going to have any racks I get in this break designated as such. Should be evidence that the packs werent thumbed through or cherry picked for sequencing.

Once the racks are cracked from the unopened case and holdered, their value in my opinion does drop a bit. You are paying for the "unopened" aspect. Once they are opened, the premium isnt there (at least not the same extent)
    I just bought a 79 rack with Nolan Ryan on the back for $119.00. I am sure any of us would be happy to find a Ryan on the back of any of these racks, but we are going to be paying closer $145. 79 racks seem to be going on Ebay for about $100 to $120 right now, down a bit from maybe $140 or so last year.

I believe that if you are buying a rack or two from this sealed case, what you are doing is you are paying basically the going rate of $100 or so per rack, plus $40 for a "chance" to score a centered Ozzie Smith or some other big HOF or condition sensitive card. Basically, I look at it as a $40 gamble that I might hit a rack with a great card on top (and a lesser degree on the bottom). If I dont get that rack with a star on it, then what I have at the end of the day is a regular old 79 Rack pack that I know is clean and unsearched, but at the end of the day, probably doesnt command any premium in the market. The premium was the $40 "chance" that you get a great card on the front. For non-gamblers, they might be better off to buy a rack cheaper elsewhere and buy $40 in lottery tickets or keep an extra $40 in their pocket. Though there are some true unopened collectors (like myself) that would like to add case fresh, untouched racks to their unopened collection. Here we have a chance.

I think if people are going to try and "flip" these racks and make a few bucks, they will not be successfull. I think we saw that with the 79 trays that came from the sealed case. Those are great looking fresh wax trays, but you can now find them on ebay for less than they sold for initially I believe.

As a collector and non-flipper, this is fine to me. I believe some of the last years run up in unopened prices was a direct result of flippers trying to buy from BBCE or ebay and then flip to other collectors. While there is nothing wrong with that and if someone can make a quick buck doing that, more power to them, but if true collectors or rippers are not driving the price run up, then the prices will adjust back down, which is I belive what we have seen to some degree in some products.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Calling stone183...... Mike, do you have any more 79s for sale???? image

I will be in for one if I make it in time. >>

Hiya David

Sure.

I will never regret parting with them to a fellow collector I like.

But, moving forward? I'm holdin' till the Rapture! image

PS - this stuff, "like" my name has gone up - you can now call me Stone193. image
    Mike
  • Options

Thanks >>

Ya have to know the "Secret Handshake." image
    Mike
  • Options
    Here's a pack I have that it was believed that due to definitive sequencing, that an Ozzie is the 6th card below Cooper?

I believe it was Tim (grote15) who told me about the pack and I found it in one of the boxes I have.

So, keep an eye out. image
    Mike
  • Options
    Cooper can lead to Smith on occasion, but sequencing frequently breaks or switches up and six cards deep is a long stretch so there's no way to know unless you open the rack. image

If sequencing rang true in every case, every section would have same card on front and back. The beauty of unopened is the mystery of what lies inside. image

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Thanks >>

At 8:50 PM Eastern (perhaps a few minutes earlier)
    -grab a beer
    -sit down at your computer
    -type 'I'll take two' in Notepad and copy
    -refresh this forum every 2 seconds until you see the reservation thread pop up
    -quickly click the link
    -click 'Reply'
    -paste
    -click 'Reply to Thread'
    -read what is posted in the first post
    -wait 48 hours
    -repeat (perhaps adjusting the quantity)

No tenure requirements image >>

Thanks for the detailed roadmap! Timing is strategically placed between the Derby and a certain boxing match....set the alarm on my iPhone as a reminder. FASC 79 racks seem like a very respectable first group rip!
    Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    I know what ill be doing in 12 hours...
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    what--that 6 box '79 rack case wouldn't sell out?

bet it would--4 racks per---

just saying Tim image
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    It's derby day....I have a knack for over indulging in this day every year. Denver is crazy on this day...bloody Mary's started a bit ago...I hope I can make it til 7pm local time unlike the past few years. Just gotta reserve that 1 rack that'll come with Ozzie on top and Ryan on back.
  • Options

<< <i>what--that 6 box '79 rack case wouldn't sell out?

bet it would--4 racks per---

just saying Tim image >>

After the last rip where no one reserved a single 79 rack, I figured we'd start with the 3-box case, but we can always revisit the possibility of breaking the other case depending on how this one goes.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks Tim for organizing!

Steve -balco758