Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GTG--and now for something completerly different!

TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ha Ha Ha....not sure how they grade these but somehow I think they got it right.

Tom

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plastic inside plastic! You've gotta love it! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhhhh, AU55? Hope that's not blood in the curve of the "5".
    These grades are relative IMO, and an EF specimen is not necessarily better than VF or worse than AU.

I always wondered how these plastic chits got into the catalog and wider acceptance than many other such similar items from around the world.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also in the CH AU camp as on this ivorine it's just red paint loss & yellowing that established the grade.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Once again, the peanut gallery is correct. AU-55 and it really is almost new, though I don't really see it with the pics. When I bought it years ago, the dealer said it was high grade. This piece has a pretty low mintage, even if these pieces are not valuable. Thanks for the guesses. And the blob is just the red paint.

Tom

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay... so this was not a late April fool's prank.

Not sure about the grade- interesting item.

How rare is this anyway?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Krause lists the mintage at 5000 but I have seen estimates elsewhere of between 3000 and 6000 so I am not certain. The photo in Krause is for serial number 3348 so I am guessing the 5000 mintage is correct as they all have individual serial numbers. They go for $200 - 300, or so and the 25 cent is the most common and the least expensive. Made of plastic ivory. It sits off to the side in the 3 pronged pcgs insert and looks a bit awkward. They almost didn't accept it, but I had seen one graded before so I knew they were OK to take them. Now, whether or not I should have slabbed it is another story. You will see them from time to time at the larger shows, but not too often.

Tom

• Options

<< <i>This is cool!

LINK TO PCGS CERT VERIFY >>

<< <i>View this coin in PCGS CoinFacts >>

Ha! Yeah. Right. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    If it's plastic (or ivorine) ... is it really "mintage?" or molded-age? (moldage?) or cast-age? production run?) I guess what I'm really asking is, did they strike it?

I am more surprised that someone paid for a TruView on this item, then I am about the slabbing and catalog acceptance. I've seen too many things in slabs to be surprised by ivorine. Especially considering it's over a hundred years old, made way before world coin collecting in the USA (aka NCLT) became popular (mid '70s?).
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    PS: this is very cool image congrats
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>If it's plastic (or ivorine) ... is it really "mintage?" or molded-age? (moldage?) or cast-age? production run?) I guess what I'm really asking is, did they strike it?

I am more surprised that someone paid for a TruView on this item, then I am about the slabbing and catalog acceptance. I've seen too many things in slabs to be surprised by ivorine. Especially considering it's over a hundred years old, made way before world coin collecting in the USA (aka NCLT) became popular (mid '70s?). >>

I guess "moldage" would be the correct term, even if you just minted it (the term, I mean). image

And yes, these are neat. They're the only nonmetallic "coins" I can think of that are classified as coins rather than tokens, unless someone can correct me? I mean, I know there's porcelain notgeld and fiber tokens and such, but those are all considered exonumia.

I can think of one other exception offhand, which are those 1942 pattern cents minted (er- molded?) in plastic and other materials by the US Mint (presumably in the leadup to the adoption of zinc-coated steel cents in 1943).

As to TrueViews, I think that's neat, too, if a bit crammed-up looking. And the OP is not the only person who's had a non-round coin TrueViewed. image

• Options
    I likey the non-round coins. I have no TruViews, though. I intended to take advantage of our hosts' recent TruView quarterly special but I missed the boat. I plan to postmark some crossover specials today before that ship sails. Fingers crossed.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    I too have long been fond of square and rectangular coins, for some vague and indefinable reason I cannot explain.

PS- and not just square and rectangular, either. I want one of those "Bermuda Triangle" gold pieces. There's a modern series I really like.