Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My CBH newp from CSNS Auction - Guess the grade - GRADE REVEALED

JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hello everyone,

Please allow me to present my latest purchase, a CBH via the recent CSNS auction.

I'm very slowly working towards developing a date set of CBH's, or so that is my long term goal.
Having said that, I clearly have a long way to go, having just three dates collected thus far, a '29, '30 and a '31.
This isn't something that I intend to do in a hurried fashion so I expect it will be some time before the set begins to take shape in earnest.

Relatively speaking, I'm very much still in the infancy of my numismatic journey.
Being that I'm still rather wet behind the ears, my collecting habits thus far have been, for a lack of a better term, a bit scattered you might say.
Currently I have a varied mix of both light side and dark side selections.

Through the process of reading and learning, both here and on my own, I'm tying to become a "better" collector.
My thinking is that piecing together a date set, in a series that I enjoy, might help me in that process, by slowing me down and providing some focus.
It sounds good anyway, we'll see if it works.

Without further delay, it's on to the guessing....

You'll find below both an "in hand view" if you will, though I do not yet have the coin in my possession - it's still in transit, and what I refer to as the "glamour" shot. Not particularly useful in GTG, but it's pretty. image

Thank you and enjoy.
JC

Comments

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    au58
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's as nice as they come.
    Eye appeal all day long.
    Congrats on your acquisition. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appears to be very eye appealing attractively toned AU-58 from top photos, however looks MS-61 to 62 based upon lower photos which better depict mint luster.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Either AU58 or MS62. Nice eye appeal.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU58 feels right to me too. NGC may have called it low MS but regardless, it looks very sweet!

A date set is the way a lot of us got started. I remember thinking I'd like them all around the same grade and look. So I was careful to not jump at higher grades for later years that I couldn't manage for the early halves. Of course not everyone shoots for the same goals.

Next came Redbook varieties. Then die marriages. Be careful...bust halves can be very addicting.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Looks like a nice 58 to me as well.
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it might go mint state, but as othershave said, it's a beaut! Enjoy it!
    Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with Stuart. My thought from the first picture was definitely AU58. In the second there is so much luster, I think it would market grade to MS62. I still think I see a touch of rub on the Eagle, but none on the obverse. Beautiful coin!
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭
    I vote a very nice looking 58.
  • Options
    okiedudeokiedude Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    I know the grade, as an early bidder on her. She is beautiful. I'll let the OP spill the beans.
    Working on my Redbook set, getting close. There are so many pretty/interesting CBH's it's really hard not to have dupes, cuz I'm well over a 100-LOL!
    BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice. It could make it to a MS61 perhaps
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I'm in the 58 camp. It does not appear to be mint state to me.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Great piece! Looks MS to me, but barely. MS61/62.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    technical grade 58. Market could be 62
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    NGC MS63 image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to be MS 62 or 63. Tough to tell from the pics though. Either way, beautiful CBH image
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    sweet example
    in the 58 crowd too
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice indeed! Congrats on a great pick up image
  • Options
    You paid almost half of what someone paid for that same coin last year. It is also on my site as the 5th best from the last ten years...

1829 O-108a
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JohnnyCache, The blue peripheral toning pattern on your new 1829 CBH reminds me very much of this 1827 CBH that I purchased from an ANR auction back in June 2006! image

1827 NGC AU-58 Toned Capped Bust Half (O-104) Square 2
    imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file