Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Fantasy Coin vs Medal from Germany

Dear Colleagues! Desperately looking for some help identifying large cooper klippe medal vs coin from Germany. Size 3 x 3 inches, weight 125.1 g. Obverse portrayed Duke of Saxony on horseback - looks like 4 Talers 1657, Davenport 396 ( Death of the King). Revers looks like arms of Nuremberg by Floetner with initials V.F. The question is - could it be fantasy coin by Lauer vs kipperthaler (gift taler)??
So far I've got an opinion that it is some kind of die trial vs mule as well as possible "souvenir medal" from IX Century made in Nuremberg by Lauer's family.
What do you think “ V. F.” stands for?? Any suggestions of references?? Thanks in advance!! Sincerely, Slava M.

http://i.imgur.com/btB9G12.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mpxH8Ug.jpg

Comments

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome! I like your name. I wish I could offer some info but I am coming up short on this one.
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obverse is similar to this Taler from Saxony - LINK

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverse is similar to German city of Hall is Swabia, yet not identical - LINK

Clearly this is a fantasy piece with a hybrid obverse/reverse.
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not think that the reverses are that similar, other than a very general motif. Too many differences in the various devices.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    So what is our consensus?

There's a lot of green on this thing. Can copper be dipped? I'm not a dipper so I can never keep track of what dips well and what doesn't. I feel like copper does not dip well because it's a more volatile metal but then again I have a 1700s copper coin that was cleaned somehow so maybe you could dip this klippe and get a better view of the devices.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE