Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Disc removal help

I picked up a 1977 set of Burger Chef Disc's this weekend from the LCS that closed it's doors after 30 years. These appear to be in MINT condition but I've not seen any full panels graded (not sure if PSA grades the full panel). They are roughly 8.5x11 panels folded with 5 on one panel and 4 on another. What is the best way to remove the discs at the perforations?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

Comments

• Options
    I don't know how to remove the discs, but I can confirm that PSA won't grade the panels. They don't have a slab that's large enough.
  • Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    Too big
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options
    I have done this in the past by getting an architech template for circles and found one that fit the disc size and then used an x-acto or razor blade and trim the tabs. If I remember correctly those are only attached by a couple tabs.

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Full disclosure, I really have no idea what they're looking for on perforated cards other than the perforations must be torn and not cut.

IIRC, those have 8 perforations around the disc. If so, I would try a straight blade cutting between the perfs to the edge of the disc all the way around and fold the 'tabs' created back and forth to remove. This should leave the 'tear' that they're looking for in perf grading.

ETA: I see some PSA 9s that have clearly been cut and others torn, so since this issue doesn't have continuous perforation around the edges maybe it doesn't matter. Also, I see a lot of 10s that sold for less than or not much more than grading fees including stars (Seaver 10s for $9), so definitely pay attention to Pops. Some of the pop 1/2 commons/minor stars have gone for quite a bit.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Too big >>

That's what....
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I can confirm that PSA won't grade the panels. They don't have a slab that's large enough. >>

Yup.

BGS has a huge slab but I think it's 8x10.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the feedback. It does seem to be inconsistent with cut vs tear.

Larkin, I noticed the same thing about past sales on the PSA 10's. I think the Seaver will stay intact. image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I have a few PSA's laying around, here's my only "10"

Here's what the backs look like