Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anybody signing up for the PCGS Grading classes at Long Beach?

Collectors Club members get a $50 discount.

Knowing how to properly grade coins is a critical skill that can help you get the most out of collecting. PCGS will host two full-day coin-grading courses in conjunction with the Long Beach Expo this June. Class sizes are limited so do not hesitate to reserve your spot!

Coin Grading 101
Coin Grading 102

Comments

• Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    I would love the opportunity but live to far away
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw that.
    I was thinking about Long Beach in Sept.
    If they offer these classes then I'll make my reservations.
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Very attemp but why these two class schedules are overlapped so that we can't take both classes in a trip. Also, will there be 103, 104 etc?

Any idea is whether PCGS would issue a class certification provided that you pass its exit exam image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    doube post
  • Options
    Double post
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I would attend if they put on the classes at FUN in January....in case they are listening...LOL
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe...........

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took the 101, its well worth the money. The 2 classes have been around for a couple of years, so I doubt you will see 103,104, etc. any time soon.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there ever a PCGS grading class offered on the east coast? I'd love to invest in myself and my hobby and take this class, however I can't justify (to myself and/or my girlfriend) flying across the country to CA to sit in a room and look at coins! image
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm actually thinking about making it down there for this. Looks like it might be something worth while. 102 that is.......
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    HandHHandH Posts: 438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would love the opportunity but live to far away >>

This.

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals

• Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    Any idea is whether PCGS would issue a class certification provided that you pass its exit exam

You get a certificate of completion when you take the 101 and 102 classes.

I found these worthwhile, and recommend them.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Collectors Club members get a $50 discount.

Knowing how to properly grade coins is a critical skill that can help you get the most out of collecting. PCGS will host two full-day coin-grading courses in conjunction with the Long Beach Expo this June. Class sizes are limited so do not hesitate to reserve your spot!

Coin Grading 101
    Coin Grading 102 >>

I would pay much more for a grading class with TDN and CJ as the instructors. Especially if they donated proceeds to YN.

OINK
  • Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭✭
    They are also having a grading coins contest with $1000 prize. Entry fee $50. Did this contest used to be free the last few times it was offered?
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Collectors Club members get a $50 discount.

Coin Grading 101
    Coin Grading 102 >>

I would pay much more for a grading class with TDN and CJ as the instructors. Especially if they donated proceeds to YN.

OINK >>

I already teach Intermediate Grading at ANA Summer seminar. I come cheap. I always seem to find something interesting at the YN Auction. Was it the year before last? Ken Hopple, curator of the Carson City Mint Museum, made a limited edition group of impressions from the cancelled obverse and reverse dies of 1876-CC 20c. Todd, with coaching from the rubbernecking Charmy, pushed me to $900.

Everyone I know who's taken TPG classes has had a very happy experience and came away with a much richer knowledge and skill base. After helping me teach a grading class at Baltimore, which oreville enjoyed more than I did, I was relieved to hear that my co-instructor coinlieutenant later took the much higher NGC course, after which he lost much respect for me . . . image. Evidently I am a much better teacher than an educator. . . . . image

I don't know is there's any kind of agreement or it just turned out that way, but NGC teaching the East Coast and PCGS the West seems to have worked out very well. ANA also teaches a very basic Intro course at regional coin shows quite often each year.

My opinion of the best grading class in the country?

njcoincrank leading, Charlie Browne, Ken Park and Don Ketterling at Summer Seminar teaching "Advanced Grading and Problem Coins". All world class TPG graders.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to attend a grading seminar but live in CT. Sure would be sweet if there was a major show in Hartford.
    Seems all the big shows are somewhere else.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭
    I have taken the ANA Intermediate course at the summer seminar (Col J wasnt teaching it that year image ), and signed up for Coin Grading 102 at this Junes Long beach for a refresher. I had been pondering doing that for a while, but this thread goaded me into it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file