Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

86 Fleer Pricing Moving Up Even More?

I'm sure you've all noticed but the 86 Fleer pricing, specifically for PSA 9s have gone through the roof lately. I saw a Barkley 9 sell for $255 last night, and that card has consistently sold for the same price over the last week. Olajawons have sold for $170+. Is this rising popularity because of the playoffs or is the set really rising that much in value?

Comments

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ungraded Bird sold for $100.
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sure you've all noticed but the 86 Fleer pricing, specifically for PSA 9s have gone through the roof lately. I saw a Barkley 9 sell for $255 last night, and that card has consistently sold for the same price over the last week. Olajawons have sold for $170+. Is this rising popularity because of the playoffs or is the set really rising that much in value? >>

I have been noticing spikes on cards in the set too. The Jordan PSA 9's are edging up towards the $3,000 mark. One PSA 9 Jordan sold by PWCC a week or so ago brought something like $3700.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    heh. got smoked last night on a '86 Fleer Larry Bird. raw card. someone bid a hundred bucks+ for what looks like a pack fresh 9. had no idea it would go like that. image
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Yes, I'm down to just the Chris Mullin for my psa 8 set. I've been being stubborn about not paying an increased price from a few months ago when I started the set. It's only $5 - $10, but for some reason it annoys me.
  • Options
    RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    I love the 1986 Fleer set. I am 1 card away from a PSA 9 set, Spud Webb. Past sales have been in the $45-55 range. The last one I tried to win at auction went for like $130+! I'm hoping this is just a couple of guys getting into a bidding war, and the price will come back down to traditional sales.

I was drawn to building a PSA 9 set because the value is there. I didn't want to pay $75-100 for PSA 10 commons, or thousands for low pop 10's and stars.

It's a great set, and with the small size of 132 cards, it makes it possible to complete in a reasonable amount of time.
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    As for the stickers, they aren't included in the main PSA set registry so I think a lot of people (including myself) ignore them.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    This is a set I would like to build raw and centered. Nice to see the needle moving up even more for you guys already invested.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a raw set w/sticker less the Jordans on ebayl for about 15 min before someone hit the BIN AT $500.

The stars were raw NM-MT, possibly some 7 or 8s. The rest was split evenly between raw NRMT, EXMT, and few EX. Not a pristine raw set, but would fit well with a PSA 7 or 8 Jordan.

I completed my set a few years ago - all of stars in PSA 9 and the rest raw. It wasn't a tough set to put together, but you did need patience to buy cards at a decent price. I think one of the toughest for me to get was a nicely centered Chris Mullin. I still update the raw cards when I come across a dealer with a raw stash of commons. It is amazing how many sun faded commons are circulating in the hobby.
    Mike
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's time I get some in my set graded. I've pulled about 30 out that have a good chance at 8-9. Am not foolish to think may score a 10 but who knows. I started with centering as the main criteria for grading. The Jordan is the only one I had graded, 5 years ago with Beckett,8.5. Mainly to verify authenticity, as grading is so subjective. Your views on submitting those 30 or so to PSA or Beckets.Better selling points between the 2 companys for the 86's.I'm not looking for an opinion on the grade I may get,hence no pixs, but which company would be more advantageous to get them graded at,for future sale.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Yes they are going up in all grades psa smr needs to reflect that, I ve also seen the key non hof s rookies going up,there are quite few guys collecting this set signed especially the key rookies ,going by the pop report seems hard to get a high grade card autographed then slabed and get it back in a red flip still in high grade. There's definitely a bright future with this set !!
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    the crazy thing is that now, even with packs at the $650 range, you don't have to pull Jordan's anymore. It's almost viable to start opening up the pack even if no Jordan shot!
  • Options
    One of the most Iconic Sets of all time
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle