Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1984 Topps Baseball Cello Box Question

Just got some recent auction wins delivered and amongst the spoils was an 1984 Topps Baseball Cello box. I have several other cello boxes, but this is my first 84. The box is yellow like my 83's and upon closer inspection on the back, it is stamped with copyright 1983. Does anyone know whether Topps used left over 83 boxes to package their 84 baseball cellos? I really want to make sure I have the proper, authentic boxes holding my packs. Thanks in advance for your insight!
Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Topps reused 1983 cello boxes in 1984. That was pretty much standard practice throughout the 70s and early 80s for all boxes and cello wrappers, too, until there was either a price change or a change in the card count per pack.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭
    Really appreciate the confirmation! I'm probably going to send these off to BBCE at some point for wrapping. Curious to see whether they notate the 83 box on the label or if they will let it slide. Seems perfectly legitimate though given your response. I'll shoot them an email.
    Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BBCE will not mention 1983 since there was no actual boxes marked 1984. Also, 1981 and 1982 Topps cello boxes are the exact same boxes for baseball and football. As Tim mentioned, Topps did this quite a bit throughout the 70s and 80s.
    James
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Guys!
  • Options
    I just checked my 1984 and 1983 boxes....they are the same.