Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Removing haze from Three Cent Nickel

Has anyone here sent a proof 3CN for conservation to either PCGS or NGC? And did they do a good job or not? It's a strange composition (75% Cu, 25% Ni), so I'm curious if they could remove the haze and not damage the coin's surface in the process. Which TPG would be better suited for conservation on this specific composition?

Comments

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't had any experience conserving proof 3CN's. But I have used PCGS's restoration service half dozen times. Copper and silver.

I am largely pleased and would not hesitate to recommend it. On the rare occasion PCGS felt it couldn't do a good job...or that it was too risky...the coin was returned as-is. I think they are careful to not take on work they are not reasonably sure will come out well.

"Haze" sounds like PVC; an easy fix. Acetone should do the trick but I've seen instances where eZest was necessary. The former won't hurt toning. The latter will remove it. FWIW.
    Lance.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had PCGS conserve some 3CN proofs for me before. The service was costly, but adequately done.

3CN composition also does well with acetone treatment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file