Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What do you guys/gals do with 'ruined' coins?

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm talking about those of little historical or personal importance, and/or little value. LordM's coin in his thread and the cleaned looking gothic crown are not the sorts I'm thinking of.

Basically I'm going through one of my get-organized activities and will be putting anything not in a slab, cabinet, album or other sort of 'coin of significance' container (like an airtite) all back into 2x2s and into either a box or a binder until I come up with a plan. I was inspired to go back to that (vs flips) after buying several lots of coins to play with and realized that's also a great way to dispose of them...by the page full to anyone else interested.

However I now have in my possession a bunch of messed with coins I'd never want to pass on to anyone. Not so much natural or environmental issues, but the scrubbed, whizzed and chemically fried. It would be fun to have a page of examples of the egregiously ruined coins as examples, but after one buy in particular, I now have several dozen coins that are just plain ick.

Throw them out? Recycle (if so, how?)? Sell to jewelry makers? What are good options? Do you ever just throw coins away? These are NOT YN material...that's the stuff going into the binder/box.

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took a roll of polished Columbian halves from 1892-3 and put them up on a ranch gate in N. California for several years, sure they are AT - but they look a lot better darkened in the sun over several years than they were as polished pieces.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a box of culls I'll probably sell as a cull lot. In it are many slick 19th Century coppers like Napoleon III 10-centime pieces and some others that got cleaned orange. Also some proof singles from 1970s FM sets that are pretty on one side and ruined from PVC on the other. Those would've been good for somebody doing one of those Lucite countertops with coins in it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.