Home Precious Metals
Options

High serial 10-oz struck JM silver bar?

I have a good number of Johnson Matthey 10-oz struck silver bars. These are the old style, not the new style "A" serials.

All the other bars I have range from 018165 up to 596993. As you can see this bar has a serial of well above 900k, just about 1,000,000. Everything else about this bar looks correct, it has the same dimensions as the other bars, same design, same weight, but the really high serial has me wondering.

The "aboutag" website, supposedly now called "allengelhard", says these bars are estimated to be around 750,000. They say this is a rough estimate but I imagine they arent off by 250,000 atleast.

Whats the deal with these bars in the 700k+ range. Where they hoarded off away from the public, or is this bar possibly a fake?

I'll probably email Johnson Matthey to see what they have to say, unless you guys are certain these bars are legit at these high serials.

Comments

• Options
    The highest I have are two in the 665,000 range and one in the 645,000 range.
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    first of all lets get you info straight.... aboutag is not allenglehard, 2 seperate deals...

2nd why are you scared all of a sudden?... because of some website posting?...

3rd aboutag"s "estimate" is meaningless and is just a guess...

4th JM hasnt made those in who knows how long, who exactly are you going to contact?... they will not know or care anways...

lastly you have a 10oz silver bar...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    I emailed the guys at "allengelhard" to see if they know anything about it. I'm thinking Johnson Matthey may have minted these bars with serials of 750,000+, but maybe they stopped releasing bars above that serial number area to the public, and instead used those bars for something else.
  • Options

<< <i>first of all lets get you info straight.... aboutag is not allenglehard, 2 seperate deals...

2nd why are you scared all of a sudden?... because of some website posting?...

3rd aboutag"s "estimate" is meaningless and is just a guess...

4th JM hasnt made those in who knows how long, who exactly are you going to contact?... they will not know or care anways...

lastly you have a 10oz silver bar... >>

first of all "allengelhard" appears to be where "aboutag" has moved to. See link and text on this page (notice the about.ag)... LINK

2nd not scared, just concerned. All my bars range from 0 to 600,000 and I have more then a couple. Then a relatively knowledgable website lists the serials at stopping around the 750,000. So mine is 250,000 above what could be the supposed end of the serial numbers. Of course they may not know for sure, but then again maybe they atleast have a very good guess?

3rd then again maybe they have information to make a decent educated guess?

4th I think chances are pretty good that JM will have records showing the serial ranges of their bars. I can't imagine they just shred all paperwork related to products they made 30 some odd years ago.

5th maybe you didnt intend to, but I sense a subtle hostility to your reply? What for?
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    Ok, lol, then it appears your bars are fake...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just going from the picture, it looks ok to me.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I think chances are pretty good that JM will have records showing the serial ranges of their bars. I can't imagine they just shred all paperwork related to products they made 30 some odd years ago

Actually records of serial numbers are probably gone with the wind, that's why AE estimates. I believe there is a $10,000 bounty for anyone that could provide paperwork of actual serial numbers of Engelhard bars relative to the size bars those numbers are on. You'd think if someone has them, the word of the bounty would've reached them by now.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good to me !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    Reply back from allengelhard was in some agreement with me. Could be serials that high where hoarded away in a large collection, or JM just skipped the 700-900k area. Thinking about it some more another possibility would be that this bar may have been originally minted without a serial number for future inscribing, so that JM could offer bars for investment storage and then inscribe the bars as people bought them for storage with JM. Its probably something along the lines of JM allocating these higher serial numbers for purposes other then selling to the general public. So bars in the roughly 750,000 to 999,999 area are sitting in storage somewhere and some just happened to find their way out into the general public. I have no idea, all just theories.