Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Isabel de Trastamara Aureo auction today.

Some amazing coins were sold today in Barcelona as part of Isabel de Trastamara sale. Some stunners both from the rarity and state of preservation point of view. Out of 7 that I went after, ended-up winning 4.

1809 8R - a minor "broken 9" variety.

1809-HJ - a colorful scarcer assayer combination for the year, lowball bid that ended-up winning it

1810-TH - key date for the armored bust series and fills a hole in my collection.

1821 - which I think is an overdate of 1821/0, but i don't remember reading about it. Could be a nice new variety to add to the set.

Close-up of the 1 in the date:

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy chits those images are big.

It's hard to judge the coins when the pictures are that big, but they *seem* very wholesome to me. Congrats.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys. Reduced the size of the photos in the original post.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey it's just great to see 2K posting here. Also, great auction. I was the underbidder on that 1810-MO TH, and likely undervalued it. I know they are rare, and without many previous records didn't know how to bid. Congrats to 2K on that one, it looks nice.

I was pleased to win this one, it went a little cheaper than I thought it would. The initial website picture made it look cleaned:

But the auction catalog picture looked a little more promising with a more wholesome look to the skin:

Hope it turns out ok. Either way I don't think it went full price so I'm pleased. I guess the heavy hitters already have an example.

Edit to add, here's a post 2K created a while back discussing this coin.
    link
  • Options
    That's as rare as it gets with the portraits, Dan - very nice pick-up! It's a fourth one that came up for sale since the early 90's, if my notes are correct.

What do you think of the 1821?
  • Options

<< <i>What do you think of the 1821? >>

There's definitely something going on around the 1. Obviously the little lump to the right of the 1, but I also see some raised metal through the trunk, just above the base. Could be a zero but that's tough to say. Let us know what you think once it's in hand.

FWIW, I did compare it to an 1821 I have and its a different obverse die.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Good to see you back around 2K. These are nice coins. I have always been keen to collect something in Mexico or South America especially during colonial times but beyond a few Balboas never invested the time and money. These coins spark that interest again.
  • Options
    Dan - i'll let you know how it is in-hand. It's also a different obverse die from the 1821 I have, as well.

nicholasz219 - come join the fun! In the milled Reales series there are many different directions you can take, depending on how much time and money you want to spend.
  • Options
    Can anyone share more information on this collection? I spent some time looking but didn't come up with much. I know these things are sometimes mysterious but I'm always curious if there's any information about how and when the collection was assembled. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    From what I've gathered, it's a multi-volume collection that started with Felipe V - Ferdinand VI on May 27th, 2014. Volume 2 - Carlos III - was auctioned last October. The one just finished was Volume 3 covering Ferdinand VII.

Haven't been able to find more information about the collection itself, but I haven't been actively looking for it. It's quite impressive, though.
  • Options
    Here are the two previous catalogs:

Volume 2 (Carlos III)
    http://www.aureo.com/mediaaureo/Subasta0263-1/catalogo0263-1.pdf

Volume 1 (Felipe V - Fernando VI)
    http://www.aureo.com/mediaaureo/Subasta0260-1/catalogo0260-1.pdf

From the title page of the 1st volume catalog:

The "Isabel de Trastamara" collection encompasses the Spanish numismatics of the last five centuries. Since the Catholic Kings until our times, several thousand pieces in the diverse metals, coined at both sides of the Atlantic Ocean, provide a global insight into the complex processes of History and underline some of the critic moments that punctuate it.

In the future occasions, other tomes will deal with the successive reigns of Charles III, Charles IV and the Napoleonic occupation, and later Ferdinand VII, Isabel II and the period of the peseta as currency unit.

At a later stage, we expect to present the numismatics of the Habsburg dynasty and, finally, the coinage of the Catholic Kings. Wea re firmly convinced that each one of the volumes will set a benchmark, and the whole set of catalogues will become one of the reference collections in the numismatics of the 21st century.

• Options
    Sounds like quite a collection, both in volume and for the rarities included.

I wonder how long ago the collection was started and how many years it took to assemble.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just checked my invoice and was surprised to see how few 8 Reales I purchased. Tough sale!

I did buy this one great one, which - as usual - I viewed in hand. I graded it solid 63+.

And since the image isn't coming up, here's a direct link to the lot:

Link
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    That is a real nice real, Andy. :-D
  • Options
    A wonderful example of the indigenous bust, Andy image
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    did buy this one great one, which - as usual - I viewed in hand. I graded it solid 63+.

fantastic piece - great detail - I totally agree with your grade .

Hey 2K congrats on ur new newps image
  • Options
    Grades are in at an amazing turn-around time of 8 working days for World Regular!

Both of the 1809's are body-bags. The 1809-HJ did have a wipe mark that made me suspect it wouldn't make the grade, but the 1809-TH was a surprise.

1821 didn't get the overdate designation. Too bad, it would've been a nice discovery. It's coming back as AU50 and i'll use it to trade, since I already have an 1821 in AU55.

Another body bag was a very bright over-assayer 1810 HJ/TH, which was also a gamble to begin with.

Now, for the good part:

1803 FT/M -- AU53 -- first one of this over-assayer graded by PCGS. Nice score, especially since it's in the set. Here's a <<LINK>> to the original discussion.
    1808/7 -- AU58 -- not a tough variety, but another filled hole in the Charles IV set
    1812 HJ -- AU53 -- a scarcer of the two assayer initials for that year and another set coin
    1810 TH -- AU55 -- nice score! One of the key dates and a tie for the highest graded at PCGS (out of 3 total)

Additionally, 1798 in AU50 (filling a hole in the set) and an 1805 in AU55 - a common coin, but i really liked the color. Most likely will end-up flipping or trading that one, since I already have an AU58.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Thanks, coinkat! If my memory serves me right - you also have a 1798 8R in PCGS AU50. I'm keeping an eye on your Mexico Type set to see what you'll add next!
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that is a really fast turnaround. If I have that kind of luck, I'll be getting a nice package by the end of this week. Doubtful though. Mine always seem to take forever.

Great newps. They are handsome. Sorry about the body bags that smarts every time but IMO so what. We are collecting coins not plastic image

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE