Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Just a simple question.......Edited

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
How can the same coin appear in two different Registry Sets? Pop of 1. Same coin, same photos.

bobimage
Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Show us the link and tell us which two sets?
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    You can list a single coin in multiple Registry Sets.

IE., A 1909 VDB Lincoln could be listed in a Type Set and a Lincoln Cent set, 1909-1958 for example.

Dan
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I have the same coins in 4 registry sets.image
  • Options
    I was looking at the CC Morgan lowball sets and the 1885cc dollar.
    The same dollar is shown in the top two sets. It looks to me that the sets are by different
    owners.
    PCGS cert #12454956

bobimage
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I'm not aware two owners can use the same coin.

The owner uses several different titles for his sets. Many do that. And it sometimes gives the appearance they are sets of different owners.

Edited to add: Regarding the coin in question, ... and is featured in one or more sets, including ...
    Dan
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you own a coin and it is a pop (1/0) and it is in the registry in the #1 set, and that set gets retired, sold and relisted in another set that is in the same category, it is possible that it could happen.

I have a 1950-D MS67FB Roosevelt dime that was in my old set. I retired my Roosevelt dime set and the coin is still in it. 7+ years later, in an ironic episode, I bought another 1950-D MS67FB, and it turned out to be the same coin with the same cert #. I cannot add this coin to the new set in the same category, as it is still listed in my retired set. PCGS does this so no one can have a high grade #1 unbeatable set, retire it, then log in a brand new #2 set with the same coins. What would happen is that the same greedy person would retire his/her set 5x's just to occupy the top 5 slots.

Believe it or not, it would happen. Some people are crazy like that.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    The first coin was in the very first CC low ball set. That set was retired and sold. Some of the first set's coins are now in the next set which is still an active set. PCGS in 2014 scanned all the coins in the Morgan dollar Basic low ball set in preparation to going on exhibition at the ANA show last summer. Thus the coin's image of those coins may show up in other sets on the registry. The Carson City low ball set happens to be a sub-set to many other low ball sets so you may see the 1885-CC PO01 elsewhere. Check out this set and read up on it. This might help explain it a bit more. Sourdough image

http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=82663
  • Options
    I guess I cannot figure out when a set has been retired. How do you see that?
    bob
  • Options
    Look at the set and see if it was retired. You will see a "R" on the right side by the GPA and rating points. Click on to the set and see when exactly it was retired. This will help put a timeline to coins being in one's set.
  • Options
    I see the R and now understand.....thanks all.