Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWPS! Gallienus, the Emperor that never ends.

For whatever reason, I started collecting Antoninianii of Gallienus about a year ago and have just been kicking around and picking up pieces as I see them. If you look through the entirety of my Gallienus holdings, you will see some pieces that are pretty rough and not yet fully attributed. These were some of my earliest purchases and I do not think any of them cost more than $3. Now that I am trying to be a little more focused, I am trying to select better pieces, at least with visible legends, variants of the same type and also coins that still hover around the $10 mark. (I give myself a little bit of a pass when it comes to shipping. Actually, I will buy several coins if necessary to bring down the overall per unit cost of shipping to around $1 per coin.) I think there is a lot of fun to be had with this emperor, series and dollar cap. As with most things, it is a mostly time consuming exercise to find coins that meet all of the right criteria. And there are always exceptions. The LVNA LVCIF piece below was a purchase from Josh at CICF. Josh gave me a break on the coin because he is nice and friendly but it still came close enough to the mark and since he was the only person that I planned on doing any shopping with that day (literally everyone else left, lol) I grabbed it while the grabbing it was good. Also, I just do not see many LVNA pieces.

IOVI CONSERVAT

IOVI CONSERVATORI

Luna

Pietas

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've got a nice little sandy patina theme goin' on lately.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like all of them, nice stuff. And Lunas for him are scarce.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Yes I do like the patina in general. Some sellers seem to have more of it than others but I am okay with that. I really like collecting this emperor because the coins are mostly affordable if you avoid the sellers who are way overpriced. And yes the Luna felt like a cool little victory and I was glad that it came from Josh.