Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP: Palestine error coin

Yes, I know it's real ugly. But it's mine, and I like it. In fact, I like it so much I purchased a large lot primarily for this coin (although the lot does have some other interesting goodies for me and some other coins I may be able to resell to recoup some of the investment). These things are rare. Really rare.

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats - that is something you don't see every day.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not into error coins myself, but I can certainly appreciate how cool this type of error is. Nice get. Congrats.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see nothing ugly as that's a great mint error image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's indeed a cool error, and the white flecks looks like they might be paint? If so, a little acetone and a toothpick might remove them.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments, I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea but it's good to know there are others who like it as well.

LordMarcovan - I think you may be right. I thought it's corrosion, but upon closer examination it appears to be tacked on, as opposed to part of the surface (look for example at the PA in Palestine). I'm impressed that you could see this from the image while I missed it in hand. My concern is that the surface below the foreign substance might be toned differently, and so removing it would reveal ugly color spots. But then again, the current situation is also ugly color spots; so I think I'll try a careful acetone soak. I've had good experience in the past with the stuff and I know how to be careful with it, so I think it's worth a shot.
  • Options

<< <i>My concern is that the surface below the foreign substance might be toned differently >>

Yes, this indeed a valid concern. You might end up with different colored spots beneath where the paint was.

Then again, that might not be as bad as the paint itself, and perhaps those could then be retoned with a little sulfur/Vaseline paste.

They're also small enough that you might get lucky and remove them to find the surfaces underneath don't clash too much, color-wise.

Proceed with caution, of course, but I think a little acetone might be in order here.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not seeing the ugly just the amazing... congrats. Never heard oof or seen anything like this before

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unlike a toned 1881-S Morgan $1... With error coins since each is unique if you pass because of something that's bothersome you may never see another.

You could also just soak it in mineral oil and see if it lifts on it's own?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Unlike a toned 1881-S Morgan $1... With error coins since each is unique if you pass because of something that's bothersome you may never see another.
    >>

+1. Especially like like the small circle where the hole should have been. Also a question since I'm not familiar with these: which came first, the hole or stamping of the design?

What fun!
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    The striking came first, then the hole. In addition to coins like this with a misplaced hole, there are others that didn't get the hole at all.

I have seen errors like this in the French 5- and 10-centimes coins of the same era (well, roughly the same era- just before WW2.)

• Options
    LordMarcovan - the hole is punched first, the strike comes later. I have two evidence of that:
    A. I've seen blank planchets with holes punched.
    B. If you look closely at the coin in this picture, you'll see the hole is not round. The reason is that it was round when it was punched. But when the dies struck, the metal flowed in the direction of the hole, causing it to warp a bit into an elliptic shape. This happens because coin dies are slightly convex and push the metal from the center outwards towards the rim. When the hole is perfectly centered, it remains round.

It's true that there are examples without center holes punched at all. This doesn't prove when the hole was or wasn't punched.
  • Options
    Here are examples of similar items on eBay, you can see the same phenomenon of the center hole pushed aside to a non-round shape by the force of the strike:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331529571674

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391106978578

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

<< <i>B. If you look closely at the coin in this picture, you'll see the hole is not round. The reason is that it was round when it was punched. But when the dies struck, the metal flowed in the direction of the hole, causing it to warp a bit into an elliptic shape. This happens because coin dies are slightly convex and push the metal from the center outwards towards the rim. When the hole is perfectly centered, it remains round. >>

I saw the shape too which suggested the order but really have no knowledge of the production of these hence the question. It is interesting that the french pieces and this all have the same shaped hole which nicely illustrates the explanation. Wonder if its possible to get "mis-holed" positions for each hour on a clock face (argh...must resist the urge to look into this and need to hide checkbook)

Thanks for the quick followup!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats - that is something you don't see every day. >>

no, one does not image
  • Options

<< <i>LordMarcovan - the hole is punched first, the strike comes later. I have two evidence of that:
    A. I've seen blank planchets with holes punched.
    B. If you look closely at the coin in this picture, you'll see the hole is not round. The reason is that it was round when it was punched. But when the dies struck, the metal flowed in the direction of the hole, causing it to warp a bit into an elliptic shape. This happens because coin dies are slightly convex and push the metal from the center outwards towards the rim. When the hole is perfectly centered, it remains round.

It's true that there are examples without center holes punched at all. This doesn't prove when the hole was or wasn't punched. >>

I stand corrected, then. Serves me right for making an assumption.

When I was in high school, we had this old navy commander for our US History teacher. He would say, "You know what happens when you ASSUME something? You make an ASS out of U and ME." And he'd underline each part of the word as he said that, so hard he broke the chalk. He was a crusty old coot, but entertaining, and we liked him, tough though he was.

So here I am, more than thirty years later, still making assumptions. image

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool pick-up!

You also know your stuff - its really cool how one gets a love of a certain area or topic and really delves into the nitty gritty of it all.

I have handled if I recall a few of these many years ago - they are definitely a rare occurrence for this series...especially so off center.