Home Precious Metals
Options

Silver bar pricing

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm not too much in the bullion scene, so excuse the question if it seems simple and obvious. Why are certain bar prices higher from maker to maker? Is it just reputation? What would be the best bars to buy at 10oz, kilo, 50oz or 100oz?

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not too much in the bullion scene, so excuse the question if it seems simple and obvious. Why are certain bar prices higher from maker to maker? Is it just reputation? What would be the best bars to buy at 10oz, kilo, 50oz or 100oz? >>

Certain older bars are collectable and carry a premium. Suggest that you go to the various bullion dealer web sites to get a feel for what's available and their pricing---APMEX, MCM, Provident, Silvertowne, JM Bullion, etc.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Why are certain bar prices higher from maker to maker?

Good question, but think of it in terms of buying most other things.
    What costs more, a Lamborghini or Hyundai? Both are just metal put together with working components that make it go, same as an Engelhard is to a Sunshine Mining or Silvertowne bar, they're both just precious metal with different designs on them.
    So what's the difference? The name, the quality and known purity, the history, but in most simple terms it's the name.

Some like the "collectible stuff" because of the design or the age/history of it surviving significant melt events, or maybe the estimated significant lower mintage of the piece. Think in coin terms, lower mintage means steady value and assured resale value.

Some like more common stuff for many reasons but probably mostly because it can be had cheaper because there is so much of it. But the trap with that is that it's a slave to whatever the value of the metal is at any given moment and can change significantly if a large volume is held.

Some do a little of both.

Bottom line, collect what you like keeping in mind if it's something you can sell rather easily and not take a beating on if you are in a position of having to sell. With so many options it can be hard to focus. I use to take the approach of I had to have at least 1 of everything, or to complete a set. Now that I've gone thru that "phase" of collecting, I focus on what it is I like and think will hold and bring the most value when it comes time to sell. A big mistake beginners make is overpaying for something they like, but may not be a popular item when it comes time to sell. Always think if I pay X for it, what am I confidently sure that I can get when I may have to sell it.

I'm not preaching because I've surely made some mistakes, but I hope that this helps a little.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    Couldn't have said it any better POM. image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you just want to accumulate silver. If so, then know that silver is just that..silver. Try to get as many ounces per dollar as possible. That means not paying premium.

I prefer 100 oz JM, Engelhard or RCM bars. Shop around and you can find with little or no premium.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>Sounds like you just want to accumulate silver. If so, then know that silver is just that..silver. Try to get as many ounces per dollar as possible. That means not paying premium.

I prefer 100 oz JM, Engelhard or RCM bars. Shop around and you can find with little or no premium. >>

What would be your definition of little or no premium?

As Im typing, Provident metals has the following 100 oz bars for sale OPM, NTR, RCM, JM, Englehard, Geiger, and "choice" and the price for all of them vary up to $100($1676-$1776). Are there some bars worth that extra $100 when its time to sell?
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would pay no more than 3% over spot for any commodity silver item. That includes 1, 10, 100, 1000 oz bars and refiner rounds and ASE's and other Govt issued silver items.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Thanks!