Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

1967-1977 Proof Gold Krugerrands, 12 beautiful low mintage coins in custom holder - SOLD!!

Have a really neat set of 12 Proof Krugerrands available. It has all of the proofs one ounce gold coins from 1967 to 1977, including two 1968 proofs (one w/ frosted obverse and one w/ brilliant obverse). The coins are in a custom made plastic holder similar to the more modern capital plastic holders, and the holder is sealed closed with a lead seal. The set appears to have been put together by Numismatics, Ltd. of Beverly Hills and was likely done in the late-1970s. The coins are in pretty nice condition, but there are a couple of minor spots on a few. All of the coins have a mintage of 10,000 or less (and some were certainly melted around 1980) so this is a neat opportunity to get the first dozen proof Krugerrands in one shot for not too much of a premium over their gold value.

I am asking $19,500 for this set.

*****6/7/15 UPDATE - Price Lowered to $18,000 - only $1500/coin*****

*****8/2/15 UPDATE - Price Lowered to $17,400 - only $1450/coin*****

*****8/11/15 UPDATE - SOLD*****

I recently picked up a 1972 Jersey 9-Coin Gold and Silver Proof Set. The sets were issued for the 25th Wedding Anniversary of Queen Elizabeth.

The set has 5 gold coins: 5 Pounds, 10 Pounds, 20 Pounds, 25 Pounds and 50 Pounds. Each gold coin is 22 karat and the set has a total actual gold weight of about 1.52 ounces. The 4 sterling silver coins are 50 pence, 1 Pound, 2 Pounds and 2 Pounds 50 Pence and they total around 1.5 ounces of actual silver weight.

The set comes with the original case of issue and appears to have not been messed with at all during the past 40+ years. Nearly all of the gold coins are slightly hazy, but appear to be in nearly perfect condition. Nearly all of the silver coins are also hazy and lightly toned as well. The 50 pence silver has especially nice toning. If you are comfortable in conserving proof coins to remove the haze or if you sent these out to PCGS or NGC for restoration, I think they would all end up looking much nicer.

Only 1500 sets were made and I would guess that quite a few were melted down during the 1979-80 run up in precious metals prices. In researching this set, I have found very little information on the proofs and even less information on complete sets.

Today, the melt value alone on the set is around $1850, but with the low mintage and even lower number of probable survivors, I am asking $2200 for the set.

*****SOLD*****

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Comments