Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Should Slaughter have been added to PostWar HOF?

Personally, I do not think he should have been added & if you add him, why not Mize, Feller, Rizzuto & Gordon?

Enos Slaughter, just like the other four mentioned, have other cards from pre war sets that would be considered rookie cards. All five have issues from the 1941 Double Play set. Feller & Gordon also have some older Goudeys.

So after all these years, why has Slaughter been added?

Comments

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Ughhh. I'll get this fixed.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I'm generally just lurking on RC threads, but why wouldn't Slaughter be included? There was several cards issued of him pre WW2. The others as well. And Feller should be a no brainer. Why were they not all included from day 1?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>I'm generally just lurking on RC threads, but why wouldn't Slaughter be included? There was several cards issued of him pre WW2. The others as well. And Feller should be a no brainer. Why were they not all included from day 1? >>

Anthony, the OP meant to ask if Slaughter should have been added to the Post War HOF RCs set (which he head-scratchingly was), not Pre War. How his '48 Bowman card could be considered a rookie over his '41 Double Play issue is absolutely beyond me. Double Play wasn't some oddball regional issue. It was a popular national issue. I contacted PSA hoping to get the issue resolved, but it looks like Slaughter's staying in the set. Expect Rizzuto (and maybe Feller?) to be added too. I'm certain that Slaughter's addition would have been easily shot down had a poll gone out.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Sorry and thank you shagrotn77, I meant to say Post War so I changed it in the title.

I agree with you 100%, but if they are going to leave Slaughter in, they should add the other four. It should stay consistent.

Also, this will be interesting to see if or how much any cards added will increase in value. It might just show the power of the registry?
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Can the 1948 (er, '49) Leaf Ruth be far behind?
  • Options
    Edited to say Glad it worked out as it should have.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Happy to report that PSA fixed the issue.
  • Options

<< <i>Happy to report that PSA fixed the issue. >>

Very good. Nice to see it fixed!image
  • Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    So do we know if it was an unintentional glitch that got fixed or if PSA make the decision to add it then change its mind? Either way, it was definitely strange to log in and see the number of cards I lack jump by one without any new inductees. Took me a while to figure out what was going on.
  • Options
    Double post.
  • Options

<< <i>So do we know if it was an unintentional glitch that got fixed or if PSA make the decision to add it then change its mind? Either way, it was definitely strange to log in and see the number of cards I lack jump by one without any new inductees. Took me a while to figure out what was going on. >>

Someone requested the Slaughter card and PSA added it because Beckett (wrongly) lists it as a rookie card. It was removed because the '41 Double Play issue is his true rookie. Had DP been an oddball, food, regional, etc. issue, then the Bowman card would have stayed. But that's not the case.
  • Options
    This was issued the same year as the Double Play, I don't that could be called the only rookie card.