Home Sports Talk

NHL Disscussion

Whos going to the playoffs this year and whos going to win it all disscuss here
Elite goin H.A.M

Comments

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey and welcome RedwingsGuy.

I'm intensely watching the whole Detroit, Pittsburgh, Boston, Ottawa & Florida divisional and wild card battle.
    Awesome stuff.

The run that the Senators made in March is nothing short of amazing.
    Tiny stumble with a 2 game loss streak and with Boston winning.
    Now both are winning.

I was rooting for the Redwings last night but I saw that Boston came on late. Argh.

Who is your pick to go all the way.

Rangers are impressive.

I'll freely admit that I don't follow the West Coast but how can you ignore the Ducks, right?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• << <i>Hey and welcome RedwingsGuy.

I'm intensely watching the whole Detroit, Pittsburgh, Boston, Ottawa & Florida divisional and wild card battle.
    Awesome stuff.

The run that the Senators made in March is nothing short of amazing.
    Tiny stumble with a 2 game loss streak and with Boston winning.
    Now both are winning.

I was rooting for the Redwings last night but I saw that Boston came on late. Argh.

Who is your pick to go all the way.

Rangers are impressive.

I'll freely admit that I don't follow the West Coast but how can you ignore the Ducks, right?

image >>

I was upset at the Redwings-Bruins game

but I think the wings will make playoffs definatly

I hope Redwings go all the way but.................IDK

We will have to see
    Elite goin H.A.M
    Not a Redwings fan but not a hater either.

Here's one of your boys.

Snapped this pic from my seat about a month or so ago.
    It was his first AHL "try out" game.
    He was cool to watch.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

• Sweet may I ask what team was he on?
    Elite goin H.A.M
    He was playing for the AHL Binghamton Senators.
    He only played a few games and tweaked his knee.
    Ottawa released him soon after.

Like I said, cool to watch him.

His experience was obvious.

• Oh I see By the way who is your favorite team? (NHL)
    Elite goin H.A.M
    Caps are my A team.

Sens are my B team.

• Oh Ok yeah I really dont have an opinion on either
    Elite goin H.A.M
    Subban better have his head on a swivel from here on.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GO WILD!

No real superstar, but lots of very good players. If Dubnyk keeps playing well they have a shot!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    Minnesota Wild take game 3!!!!!!!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    Caps looking strong.
    Sens barely hanging on.
    Wild in a battle.
    Red Wings BLEW it tonight.

So long St. Louis, here we come Chicago!

GO WILD!
    Congrats to the Wild.

Caps move on!

Red Wings keeping it interesting. Gotta love game 7's.

The Sens Cinderella run is over. Damn quick whistle. image

Playoff hockey is the BEST!!!!!

• << <i>Playoff hockey is the BEST!!!!! >>

gotta love it

I hope the Redwings can win this game 7
    Elite goin H.A.M
    Red Wings are out.
    I'm pulling for Tampa Bay to beat Montreal.

• << <i>Red Wings are out.
    I'm pulling for Tampa Bay to beat Montreal. >>

I know I am sad but theres next year
    Elite goin H.A.M
    Wild needed game three BIG TIME!

Looking real bad. Let's win ONE.
  • lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wild needed game three BIG TIME!

Looking real bad. Let's win ONE. >>

what looked much worse was the Wild fans rolling out the goalie chants A) one minute into the game B) throughout the game for an opposing goalie who was pitching a shutout. I expect the moronic goalie chants from Canadian team fans and unfortunately it's trickled down to a good deal of younger American fans too....but Minny fans took it to another level last night. You expect it from Kings fans who have developed 75% of their fanbase in the last four years, but for the "State of Hockey' and all....that was much more embarrassing than getting blanked by a superior team. Minny has a lot of depth, but it seems that they're still a #1 center and #3 d-man away from being a viable threat. Perhaps Granlund and Dumba will eventually be at least 75% of those two things, but they're just not there yet.
    My Caps are looking stout so far but NY will be playing desperate being down 3-1.

Really enjoying Tampa handing it to Montreal. A game wining goal with 1 second left in regulation is a back breaker.

<< <i>

<< <i>Wild needed game three BIG TIME!

Looking real bad. Let's win ONE. >>

what looked much worse was the Wild fans rolling out the goalie chants A) one minute into the game B) throughout the game for an opposing goalie who was pitching a shutout. I expect the moronic goalie chants from Canadian team fans and unfortunately it's trickled down to a good deal of younger American fans too....but Minny fans took it to another level last night. You expect it from Kings fans who have developed 75% of their fanbase in the last four years, but for the "State of Hockey' and all....that was much more embarrassing than getting blanked by a superior team. Minny has a lot of depth, but it seems that they're still a #1 center and #3 d-man away from being a viable threat. Perhaps Granlund and Dumba will eventually be at least 75% of those two things, but they're just not there yet. >>

I don't have cable/satellite so I wasn't aware of any goalie chants, but it does sound bush league.

Granlund is a terrific passer, but needs to score more goals. Dumba makes a lot of mistakes in the defensive zone, but has a great shot. Both need to improve.

Let's hope the fans act classy and the team wins game four or it's bye bye!
    it wasn't a classless scenario or anything. It was just highly odd that the goalie razzing would start one minute into the game, and secondly, for a goalie who has killed the Wild the last three years. I mean it was Crawford and Bickell who practically single-handedly beat the Wild last year in their round 2 matchup and in this series has allowed 1 goal in the last two games. By that point, what is a goalie razzing going to do to a guy who has already won a cup, and has historically owned you? Just seemed highly odd for a fanbase who is one of the best/most knowledgeable in the country.

What made me wonder is - is the Wild fanbase becoming like Toronto's? Where the season ticket packages are largely held by companies so they can entertain clients and so forth? I believe Minneapolis now has the highest concentration of Fortune 500 companies in the world for any one city so perhaps Minny is becoming like Toronto and the regular fans are getting shutout in favor of companies soaking up a good deal of the tickets- and the people attending these games are those who aren't normally watching the team. That said, it was just one game, perhaps it was just a matter of the fans looking for something to entertain themselves after being down 0-2 for the first home game in the series.

Granlund is a terrific passer, but needs to score more goals. Dumba makes a lot of mistakes in the defensive zone, but has a great shot. Both need to improve.

yeah I'm a fan of Granlund, but I just don't see him as a future #1 center...especially at 5'10 dealing with all the bigger guys like Thornton, Toews, Backes, Getzlaf in the west. He definitely needs to shoot more. Only 99 shots this season total. Ideally Coyle would be that guy, but I don't know if he has that type of offensive upside either. I just think if the Wild had a guy like Niklas Hjalmarsson as their #3 defenseman and say Brad Richards in his Dallas/Tampa tenure, they'd be right there with the Hawks and Kings.

<< <i>it wasn't a classless scenario or anything. It was just highly odd that the goalie razzing would start one minute into the game, and secondly, for a goalie who has killed the Wild the last three years. I mean it was Crawford and Bickell who practically single-handedly beat the Wild last year in their round 2 matchup and in this series has allowed 1 goal in the last two games. By that point, what is a goalie razzing going to do to a guy who has already won a cup, and has historically owned you? Just seemed highly odd for a fanbase who is one of the best/most knowledgeable in the country.

What made me wonder is - is the Wild fanbase becoming like Toronto's? Where the season ticket packages are largely held by companies so they can entertain clients and so forth? I believe Minneapolis now has the highest concentration of Fortune 500 companies in the world for any one city so perhaps Minny is becoming like Toronto and the regular fans are getting shutout in favor of companies soaking up a good deal of the tickets- and the people attending these games are those who aren't normally watching the team. That said, it was just one game, perhaps it was just a matter of the fans looking for something to entertain themselves after being down 0-2 for the first home game in the series.

yeah I'm a fan of Granlund, but I just don't see him as a future #1 center...especially at 5'10 dealing with all the bigger guys like Thornton, Toews, Backes, Getzlaf in the west. He definitely needs to shoot more. Only 99 shots this season total. Ideally Coyle would be that guy, but I don't know if he has that type of offensive upside either. I just think if the Wild had a guy like Niklas Hjalmarsson as their #3 defenseman and say Brad Richards in his Dallas/Tampa tenure, they'd be right there with the Hawks and Kings. >>

I attended many North Star games in the past and several Wild games as well. Seems to me there is a difference in the fan base. The "old" North Star fans might not have razzed Crawford, but then again the North Star's fans generally were no where near as vocal as the Wild fans are today. Most of the "old" fans cheered only for goals and the occasional great play.

A lot of hockey fans feel we got screwed out of our team when they moved to Dallas. Perhaps the fans never want to be accused of not supporting the team.

Granlund is one of the few players who makes passes others wouldn't see there. So far he is a terrific set up player. I am not sure he will develop into a goal scorer. He is on the small side and that is a concern.

I was confident the Wild had improved enough to challenge and defeat the Blackhawks. With a four game sweep it showed me that I was wrong. Hopefully the young group we have will take another step forward next year as the veteran leaders are getting older.

Coyle has the size and the offensive talent to be much better, but he doesn't seem to be as intense or consistent, he makes the occasional great play and then disappears for long periods. Parise and Sutter cannot carry the team forever. Was hoping Vanek would have more impact as well. Zucker looks like he will be a goal scorer and Niedereiter has the size and tools to be a force as well. The talent pool in the minors seems to be depleted, so I don't see any call ups being a factor. I hope I am wrong.

It's great to finally have a very good hockey team to follow. Making it to the next level is going to be harder than going from average to very good. Watching the Lemair teams was painful, even when they won! LOL

Congratulations to Chicago, we'll probably see you again next year.

I think it would have been a tough ask for Minny to take a best of 7 at this point from the Hawks. The Hawks are rolling a third line of Sharp/Vermette/Teravainen. That's a 30 goal scorer in 3 of his last 4 seasons in Sharp, a strong two way center in Vermette who would be most teams second line center and Teravainen, who while young, has all the makings of a young Saku Koivu. Great passer with the chance to be an elite play-maker, and defensively aware at 20 years old. Being devoid of both a true first line center and a reliable second pair d-man, things would have had to go very in favor of Minny for them to take 4 of 7....like Dubnyk going 2006 Cam Ward on the Hawks. Especially with the way Vanek disappears for stretches, and the heavy minutes clearly caught up to Suter and Dubnyk. They both looked gassed. I think I read Dubnyk played the Wild's last 39 straight games including 7 back to backs. That's a lot of minutes. Add in the rapidly fading offensive game of Mikko Koivu (lots of tough minutes in his rearview as well), and that's a big ask for Suter and Parise to carry the load. It's going to be an interesting off-season for the Wild. They've got to find a #3 d-man to take some minutes from Suter and Brodin. Can't keep rolling Suter out there for half the game every single night.

I get that Minny needed a new barn, but to look back at it now, it's kind of ridiculous to think the country's biggest/best hockey market was without a professional hockey franchise in the modern era. Dallas being called the Stars makes sense and all (Lonestar state), but it's a shame that Minny lost the best nickname in the league on top of the best non-Original 6 sweater. The mid-90's black North Stars sweaters were right there with the Nordiques road blue sweaters as the best non-Original 6 sweaters ever. This Wild mascot/nickname thing with the Christmas colors is just awful. The all-green kit isn't bad, but every time I see them I think Michigan State hockey uni's. Everyone knew dam well Minny was going to get a team back as soon as the locals agreed to build a new rink...there was no reason not to hold onto the Stars name for a few years. I'm not even a Stars fan and that still bothers me.
    I'm out. Caps lose game 7. Rangers surely tightened up their game, the last few.

I'm not sure how dedicated I'll be from here on out but I guess I'm pulling for Tampa Bay.

Enjoying both your takes on the Minnesota situation. Past and present.

• WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm out. Caps lose game 7. Rangers surely tightened up their game, the last few.

I'm not sure how dedicated I'll be from here on out but I guess I'm pulling for Tampa Bay.

Enjoying both your takes on the Minnesota situation. Past and present. >>

Caps play hard and still lose. What a choke, up 3-1 in games and lose 3 straight. Following this team is like getting into a vicious circle. I wonder if they will ever make it past the 2nd round with Ovi on the roster. Not saying he's a problem at all; in fact, he played well last night and seems to be doing great under Trotz. Just using that as a measuring stick in terms of the franchise's timeline. I guess I'm pulling for Tampa Bay as well, but I could really care less about what happens in the East. I'll pull for the Western conference overall at this point.

Don't really have a dog in the Minnesota fight/argument, so I leave that to the others.

<< <i>I think it would have been a tough ask for Minny to take a best of 7 at this point from the Hawks. The Hawks are rolling a third line of Sharp/Vermette/Teravainen. That's a 30 goal scorer in 3 of his last 4 seasons in Sharp, a strong two way center in Vermette who would be most teams second line center and Teravainen, who while young, has all the makings of a young Saku Koivu. Great passer with the chance to be an elite play-maker, and defensively aware at 20 years old. Being devoid of both a true first line center and a reliable second pair d-man, things would have had to go very in favor of Minny for them to take 4 of 7....like Dubnyk going 2006 Cam Ward on the Hawks. Especially with the way Vanek disappears for stretches, and the heavy minutes clearly caught up to Suter and Dubnyk. They both looked gassed. I think I read Dubnyk played the Wild's last 39 straight games including 7 back to backs. That's a lot of minutes. Add in the rapidly fading offensive game of Mikko Koivu (lots of tough minutes in his rearview as well), and that's a big ask for Suter and Parise to carry the load. It's going to be an interesting off-season for the Wild. They've got to find a #3 d-man to take some minutes from Suter and Brodin. Can't keep rolling Suter out there for half the game every single night.

I get that Minny needed a new barn, but to look back at it now, it's kind of ridiculous to think the country's biggest/best hockey market was without a professional hockey franchise in the modern era. Dallas being called the Stars makes sense and all (Lonestar state), but it's a shame that Minny lost the best nickname in the league on top of the best non-Original 6 sweater. The mid-90's black North Stars sweaters were right there with the Nordiques road blue sweaters as the best non-Original 6 sweaters ever. This Wild mascot/nickname thing with the Christmas colors is just awful. The all-green kit isn't bad, but every time I see them I think Michigan State hockey uni's. Everyone knew dam well Minny was going to get a team back as soon as the locals agreed to build a new rink...there was no reason not to hold onto the Stars name for a few years. I'm not even a Stars fan and that still bothers me. >>

Don't know if it was fatigue or not but Dubnyk had a below average series. I was never on his bandwagon, he looked good, but good like Backstrom used to look, always in position, but rarely made the "wow" save. I think the team played better in front of him. He played well, but not anything special.

I think the Wild had a even shot to beat the Hawks. Turns out Zucker played with a broken thumb, I was wondering why he disappeared. Vanek also didn't contribute much, Koivu is basically a face off man and defensive player now, he never was a big goal scorer. Parise can't do it by himself, Niedereiter chipped in some, but lack of scoring and average goaltending killed them. The games were all decided by one goal, except for game 2.

I happened to be at the final game the Stars played at home and admit I had tears in my eyes, even as we chanted Norm Green SUCKS! If I remember right there was a lot of noise about losing the "North Stars" name and logo. I think Green owned the rights to the name and wouldn't give it up. I hated the Wild's uniforms at first, I am used to them now but can't stand the all green jerseys. Too boring. The white one looks the best to me, just a touch of red and the logo is simple without a circle or badge around it. I too LOVED the North Star's black ones!!!!!!

I am concerned that Vanek, Sutter, Parise and Koivu's best years are behind them. Vanek might have another good year in him, but he better produce right away next year or he might be out. Koivu needs to have a reduced role on the team. Coach Yeo seems to be slow in demoting the older guys, but he might be right. Our young core must "take the next step" next year and start being leaders instead of contributors!

GO WILD!
    Two game 7's coming up.
    What more could you ask for?
    Good stuff.

• skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Really hope the Blackhawks can pull this out and win Game 7 in Anaheim.

• << <i>Two game 7's coming up.
    What more could you ask for?
    Good stuff. >>

I am very excited
    Elite goin H.A.M
    Tampa Bay vs. Chicago. Who ya got? Who's favored?

I think both teams are likeable and don't have a preference at the moment.
    I may pull for one over the other as things progress.

Blackhawks in 6
  • JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lightning in 7. They all go to 7 games- NHL revenue mandate!
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    This Flyers fan is rooting for TB...
    Puck drops in 5 hours.....

<< <i>Puck drops in 5 hours..... >>

GAME ON!!

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

GAME ON!! >>

We are number one!

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

<< <i>

<< <i>

GAME ON!! >>

We are number one!

image >>

imageimage
    Chicago stole that one.

Watched game two today. How on earth can anyone not see that this is the BEST sport to watch.........................WOW!
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Hoping the Hawks win so my favorite all time can hoist a cup! Kevin Dineen, he is an assistant coach..
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Nice win by the Tampa last night
    The Bolts rock, but nothing at this level comes easy. I still say Bolts in 7.
    That was a pivotal game 4 win for the Hawks.
    Best two out of three now.
    Buckle up.

Great series. Wish ALL the games were on regular broadcast TV.

Get with it NHL!!!!!! Not everyone has cable/satellite.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great series. Wish ALL the games were on regular broadcast TV.

Get with it NHL!!!!!! Not everyone has cable/satellite. >>

Each game has been compelling..............Tampa's road to the Cup has been brutal. Detroit, Montreal and the Rangers. If they win the series they would have beat 4 of of the Original 6.

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    Great game yesterday! I even got to watch it!!!!!

<< <i>Blackhawks in 6 >>