Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are there any other diagnostics for the 1911 weak D quarter eagle?

relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
besides the weak D itself?

imageimage
Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Comments

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Partial wire rim on the obverse.
  • Options
    thanks.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Best diagnostics, the label on the PCGS holder. Forget about all the other stuff. When the one coin in a 15 coin series, costs as much as all the other fourteen coins in the series, don't make a mistake.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    The diagnostics for the 11-D Weak D are:

1)Wire rim on the right side of the obverse
    2)Scalloping at 12:00 on the reverse from a collar clash
    3)Small vertical die polish line inside the recess to the left of the tips of the arrows

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    This is my coin it's graded AU55/55 and part of my ANACS photo cert set. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a weak D variety. I don't think it is.

Thanks everyone.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    I have owned a couple of these and at times you can not see the D at all not even a hint and the wire rim is one of the easiest diagnostics to see and is from 12:00-3:00. I don't see this on your coin and I do not see the die polish line either. It is a very good idea to look at every 1911 for these diagnostics and nice coin you have there.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The diagnostics for the 11-D Weak D are:

1)Wire rim on the right side of the obverse
    2)Scalloping at 12:00 on the reverse from a collar clash
    3)Small vertical die polish line inside the recess to the left of the tips of the arrows

-Paul >>

^ This.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    In many cases, the "D" mintmark is completely invisible. The KEY diagnostics on ALL REAL 1911-d Indians is a series of marks on the edge of the rim above the "ES" in states and the "O" in of and a wavy rim edge above "TED" in united on the reverse. Below is an example:

1911-d weak D $2 1/2 gold indian

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file