Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I hate you pack collectors!!!

Why? Because you are suckering me in! Yes, Im falling for it. But I'm a cheapo. I want good deals. So, tonight I won what I think was my first good deal on ebay.

I got myself a 1979 OPC Baseball PSA 9 pack for 29.77 delivered. I really have no idea...was that a good buy?

Comments

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    No gum tear? Good deal.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I have always had a terrible habit with packs. I like to open them. I cant resist. But with packs already in a slab, I know I wont bust those open. Ive wanted to do a 4 sport run of Topps packs 1978-1993 including OPC in both baseball and hockey. I guess this is my start.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    You need to avoid Anthony... Griffins ... at all costs
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    BBCE has some pretty good prices on slabbed packs.

They're nice, and I'd like to eventually get a run of 1979-1989 hockey, but nowhere in the near future.

I think they make great display pieces and the slabs are perfect for preventing me from ripping the packs.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $30 for a 79 OPC wax pack is a strong price, but for one graded PSA 9, it's a pretty good deal, imo.

I have a PSA 9 1977 OPC with Fisk face out on back for $75, if you want to go to the next level. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>$30 for a 79 OPC wax pack is a strong price, but for one graded PSA 9, it's a pretty good deal, imo.

I have a PSA 9 1977 OPC with Fisk face out on back for $75, if you want to go to the next level. image >>

LOL nice try, Tim image

You need to go the opposite direction! Although I will eventually buy the 78s, Im going north instead of south. You are always welcome to let me know when you have nice, affordable 78-up. Many Im sure I will buy solo packs and sub them myself, unless of course I find the right deal.
  • Options
    curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    I have the same problem with boxes! So addicting.
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Hi Barry. image

imageimageimage
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    That's a heckuva collection, Mike!
  • Options

<< <i>That's a heckuva collection, Mike! >>

Thanks! And now I know not to leave you alone with it, LOL.

These are Barry proof though.

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    that's not a collection. that's the hottest chick in high school.
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    I almost bought a slabbed 79 Topps baseball pack from BBCE during the last rip. I believe it was $90. Is that a pretty fair price? BBCE is my go to, and are always very reasonable, but I don't know much about slabbed unopened.

I'd like to do a run of slabbed packs of baseball from 79-89. But really after 80, I don't know if its worthwhile since so much product is readily available, and from 86 on dealers are practically giving it away.
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

<< <i>that's not a collection. that's the hottest chick in high school. >>

+1
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>that's not a collection. that's the hottest chick in high school. >>

+2!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That's a heckuva collection, Mike! >>

Thanks! And now I know not to leave you alone with it, LOL.

These are Barry proof though.

image >>

Should I be sending you my shipping information? LOL
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Mike, on the bottom left, those boxes that are stacked 3 and 4 high- any concerns about damage?
  • Options

<< <i>Mike, on the bottom left, those boxes that are stacked 3 and 4 high- any concerns about damage? >>

I do watch them, but I keep them pretty tight together so they have stayed in nice shape. I did move the one rack box on the stack of four though after I took that picture just to be safe. Since the boxes are placed tightly together, it is similar to the boxes being in a sealed case except that I can look at them if I want. image

I think Barry will start a box collection once the sickness has taken hold. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    I'd post a picture from inside the vault but after the last late night rip I had the locks changed and sent the key to Eric for safekeeping. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike, on the bottom left, those boxes that are stacked 3 and 4 high- any concerns about damage? >>

I do watch them, but I keep them pretty tight together so they have stayed in nice shape. I did move the one rack box on the stack of four though after I took that picture just to be safe. Since the boxes are placed tightly together, it is similar to the boxes being in a sealed case except that I can look at them if I want. image

I think Barry will start a box collection once the sickness has taken hold. image >>

LOL unless I win the lottery, that wont happen. I only allow a very small portion of my salary for sports cards. The autographs take up most of that. I will have to stick with just packs. One pack is enough. I want to share the other 35 packs with the world so I will refrain image
  • Options

<< <i>I'd post a picture from inside the vault but after the last late night rip I had the locks changed and sent the key to Eric for safekeeping. image >>

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

I am sorry for your loss.

Collecting:
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    it's a lot less temptation to open stuff if you already have the set.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>it's a lot less temptation to open stuff if you already have the set. >>

That doesn't stop me from opening 75 mini packs, though it may be a manifestation of a masochistic personality. image

• Options
    I must agree with Tim. I LOVE opening packs image I could have 20 sets and I still want to open to see what's in there! Having them in a slab will stop me, Im sure of it! image
  • Options
    curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    Wow, what a box collection. Makes mine look ill.
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!