Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Cancel bid or make buyer retract?

This is a very low-dollar question, but I want to make sure I handle it the right way. I have a card listed on eBay. The title and description clearly identify it as a reprint (not a "fake," but a legitimate Topps-issued reprint). I run it as an auction starting at $0.99. It gets one bid at $1.00 and I'm thrilled. A second bidder then bids $1.25. Immediately after bidding, the second bidder contacts me and asks me to cancel his bid because he didn't realize it was a reprint. Lame excuse, but ok. In a situation like this, should I be the one responsible for cancelling the bid, or should I tell the buyer to retract the bid because he made a mistake in bidding? I don't want the first bidder to think that I shilled the auction for a quarter (although the shill wouldn't have worked anyway, because the first bidder only bid $1.00).

Thanks all!

Comments

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Tell bidder to cancel his own bid.6y
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the auction is still live, have the bidder cancel. If not, you are the only one who can.
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    I'm going to say that you should cancel his bid because he did the correct thing by contacting you. His reason is not one of the options provided for bid retraction (wrong amount, seller changed description, and cannot contact seller). By you canceling his bid; it also allows you to state the reason (buyer didn't realize it was a reprint) which will help null out the suspected shill bidding.
    I tend to suspect shill when I see a buyer retract with wrong amount excuse.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with Eagleeye. Also, ebay prevents bid retractions under certain circumstances, too, depending on time left, etc.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I highly doubt it matters either way