Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

World coin variety threads-please respond

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
How does this sound as a world & ancient coin forum project?

We establish threads for world coin die varieties so knowledge can be shared. If there is interest we can work out the details based on the responses to this thread. Then, we can work out some of the details in terms of how this can be done.

Let me take a moment to explain what the motivation behind this:

World coin varieties are not well researched and remain under-appreciated. In part this is because this is a wide open field with little reference material. Interest in world varieties is a Catch 22 situation- you can't look for something unless you know it exists. And that is why undertaking the challenge represents an opportunity...

Just to highlight what exists, within the last year I have found the the following:

Great Britain-Churchill Crown DDO- submitted to and grade MS65 by ICG

Germany 1951-g 5 mark DDR- submitted and graded MS 63 by ICG

I will add more later- please advise if collectors here are interested. The only way this will be undertaken is if we demonstrate the interest and initiative

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would require a lot of interest and frequent new finds to keep multiple threads visible on a forum index which is based on the date/time of the last post.
    I think it would be better for you to compile a list of world DDO/DDR/RPD coins which interest you on a separate webpage/site,
    and have a single thread here where you post updates and they can be discussed.
    There are many free websites available for this sort of thing (which can host photos), such as wordpress, photobucket, and even facebook.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    That's a great point, yosclimber. I'd recommend avoiding social media sites like Facebook because you'll never have control over your content or its display. Wordpress is increasingly easy to use, and most hosting companies have servers that support the software. Google, which is the king of free stuff, owns Blogger so you could try that too. Flickr or Photobucket may be your best option though since images are the primary way to display coins online. Your image captions could easily hold any pertinent information.

The idea of one thread here is much easier to maintain.

Regarding interest, the OP's question of the century ... I believe the interest will rise when a significant number of examples have been identified. The task seems very daunting IMO so before the waters split and reveal your path, most will wait until the first person is chin-deep into the sea (it is Passover, after all image ).
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This concept is really worth some consideration...

I suspect there is interest, but creating the platform to make something viable is a challenge. Having an ongoing thread or threads based on geography might raise awareness of what has been found and what collectors can look for.

Another to add tot he list:

Switzerland 1948 5 Fr Commem- significant doubling in the following areas: HELVETIA; designer name WEBER; and various areas of obverse design- recognized and graded by ICG MS65

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.