Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2 part question... 1 on topic, 1 off topic.... Do you borrow money to buy cards? Do you have a vehic

I am asking this as a two part question. I am asking the first part of the question in order to stay on topic as well as it does have some interest to me. I am asking the second part because I have taught a finance class at church in the past few months and I am sort of asking this as kind of a survey.

Question number 1...

Do you or have you ever borrowed money to purchase cards? I asked this question because I am the type of person that does not like to borrow money at all. However I will borrow the money to buy a card collection if I know that I can make a little money off of the deal. I realize it would be better if I did have the money set aside to purchase collections but that is not always the case. So I will borrow money to purchase collections if I can make some back. I will typically use the profits to find my collection.

Question number 2... Do you have a car or a truck payment?

I asked this question as sort of a survey. During the last couple of years I paid off my 2001 Toyota Tundra and I paid off the family 1999 Lexus RX300. After we paid off both vehicles we decided that we were going to pay cash for our next vehicle. The Lexus was getting some high miles on it so we started saving last year. The Lexus now has 210,000 miles on it and so last week we started looking for a replacement. I wanted to go ahead and purchase something because I wanted to get as much out of the Lexus as we could before having to do any major repairs on it. The bottom line is that we reached our goal very recently in our savings and just purchased a 2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition (white) . It was sort of my wife's dream car. She has wanted one for a very long time and we was able to pay cash for a vehicle for the very first time in our lives. I am here to say that it was a great great great feeling. Now we have 3 paid off vehicles with the intent of selling the Lexus.

I am of the strong opinion that it is better financially to buy used vehicles because of the tremendous depreciation. We were able to buy this very clean and very nice vehicle for way less than half of what it cost brand new and it nearly looks brand new. Sorry to ramble so much but I was just interested in those 2 questions because of the recent purchase we just made and because I have taught some finance classes at our church in the past few months.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question number 1...

No, but I have loaned small amounts to others.

Question number 2... Do you have a car or a truck payment?

Currently, yes, but only because I would rather have cash in my account than the little I could save in interest payments with current rates. Never on more than 1 vehicle at a time, and I enjoy the months/years without any vehicle payments.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    1) No, but I guess I can see where someone runs into something that they know they can flip quickly.

2) I've owned a 1986 Buick Skylark, 1990 Mazda Miata, 1993 Dodge Viper, 2000 Jeep Cherokee, and now a 2010 Subaru Forrester. The only time I ever had payments were with the Cherokee, which I paid off in less than a year, and my Subaru, which I bought when I found out that I was going to be a dad (traded the Cherokee in for the upgrade). I should pay the Subaru off this year.

Next up is the house (projected pay-off 2018), then we're buying land and later building a log cabin.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    1. No

2. Yes
  • Options
    1) I actually did borrow money from a family member and so far so good. But I quickly found out that flipping modern cards/autos of hot players was the easiest way to make money and rarely lose much. Buying cases and ripping boxes is the fast way to lose money, however.

2) I bought a used Land Rover LR3 with very low miles for a few thousand less than trade-in 6 years ago. Got a great deal on LR warrantly that has paid everything until this day. Car is a tank and great for kids. I just finished paying it off last month and was one of the greatest moments in my life not to have that payment. Truck is still worth about $10,000 trade In but its been great and plan on having it until it won't move.
  • Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭
    I have borrowered from my dad to buy cards once or
    Twice but those interest payments are low!
    On the car payment thing.... Buying a used car that someone
    Else took the big depreciation hit on is great
    Until you buy one that starts having problems
    Right away... If your lucky enough to avoid that
    Then your great but one major problem can
    Really hurt since warranties are non-existent or very limited
    At best
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. The only thing I borrow money for is a mortgage and then work to pay it off as quickly as possible. I also didn't borrow money for college. I feel bad for the kids today. College has gotten so expensive and the job prospects are harder than ever to find.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    1. no

2. no..and ill never buy new again. My last car i bought had 800 miles, was technically a year old and saved five figures in depreciation that the previous owner lost. He only bought it to tide him over 6 months while his custom Bentley was being built.....must be nice to live in that world.
    ..Have only bought one new car in my life and that wasn't for me. Due to crazy depreciation..never buy new.

over 210? Great, thats impressive. Congrats!
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    Gemint

My wife is a school social worker. Her parents have no money so she had to take out loans for the entire tuition. In NJ, if you want to be a social worker for a school, you have to get your Masters degree. Because everyone else applying will have it and It only gets her an extra $2000 in salary! That's 6 years of student loans, her monthly payment is $700. Thats insane.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    no for #1

No for #1. We bought a new 2004 explorer and in 2007 I bought a Saab. Both paid off for some time.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭
    Not for cards, but I have bought Game Worn Jerseys on credit cards if I can buy in bulk at a vastly reduced price and I know I can the principle back before any interest is due (this is usually easy when buying at "my" price), then the extra few jerseys are mine to either sell right away for profit or hold onto for the chance to make even bigger $$ if the guy turns out to be special.

Car payments: I have done both, new and used. Depending on the interest rate I don't go out looking at a certain condition (new or used), i'm looking for a deal and i can spend all day negotiating if need be. I have a thing for #'s and i can almost predict what a saleguy can come back with quicker than he can. It is actually fun for me to buy a car at the dealership. I enjoy the back and forth. But the best feeling in the world is neogotiating a price with a salesguy with him thinking (and his boss) that i am financing with them (at a higher than market rate), then dropping a cash payment on him at the last minute. The look on their face is priceless. They tought that they were making $$ on the financing etc. and it gets pulled out from under them. It is even funnier when you tell them you have the cash on hand because you sold some baseball cards. LOL
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    1.No
    2.No
    Last vehicle purchased for cash was a 2009 Versa., My Dakota is an '04
    I would always rather buy a good used vehicle.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    1. Yes, I keep my PayPal credit open for higher dollar purchases... but only because depending on the cost, I get 6-month or 12-month of no interest. I just always make sure to pay it off well before the interest would accrue.

2. Yes, currently I have 12 months left of car payments... and then hopefully several years of being without. But I've never been one to want a really nice car, so I don't care about how nice it is... have a Kia Sorrento right now. More about safety for me since I'm often toting 3 kids around. I finance through a credit union and get a great rate, and also haggle like heck to get the purchase price well below what Edmunds.com says is a fair value.
  • Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    1. Yes, I do, but I don't recommend it. You have to be very disciplined with your finances; otherwise things can get out of hand quickly. I have a credit card with a 40K limit. For a 4% transaction fee, they will deposit the amount of money that I request directly into my bank account for an amount up to my credit limit at that time. There are typically no interest fees for a year or so, which is the "promotion" period. After the promotion period ends, regular interest rates start accruing, which is around 15%. There is a minimum payment every month, which is 1% of the current balance. I have always paid off the balance before any interest starts accruing. The reason I do this is that there are certain times where a card is exceptionally rare or where the price of the items purchased make the transaction fee worthwhile. Basically, you need to take the transaction fee into account. For example, if I am buying from a major auction house, and the BP is 20%, if I need to draw into the credit line, I need to assume the BP is really 24%. Then I need to take into account all of the selling fees if I am planning on re-selling the lot. If I still feel that I have a sizeable profit margin, I will pull the trigger. Again, this is not for everyone, so I don't recommend it.

2. Yes, the last two vehicles we purchased were financed. Some of the car companies have exceptionally good financing options, so we usually have just taken advantage of that. I think both of the vehicles we got had a 0.9% finance rate for 3 years. If you think that you can put your capital to work and do better than 0.9%, then this is still the better option, in my opinion. The first vehicle has already been paid off, and we're halfway through our second one.
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No. The only thing I borrow money for is a mortgage and then work to pay it off as quickly as possible. I also didn't borrow money for college. I feel bad for the kids today. College has gotten so expensive and the job prospects are harder than ever to find. >>

+100
    I graduated from a religious private college and was on partial athletic and academic scholarship and still had to take out loans/pell grants. Sad to say, it's almost not even worth kids going to college these days. After college I applied for a couple corrections jobs with a few different counties and couldn't even get hired.

To answer the op's questions;
    Yes, my brother let me borrow $1,000 to buy some cards to try and "flip". Came close to buying some bigger cards but there wasn't enough on the backside to make decent profit so still searching around.
    No car payments. Still paying college loans though.

• Options
    curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    No, no, no, no!

I don't do loans, credit cards or car payments! All evil!
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you think that you can put your capital to work and do better than 0.9%, then this is still the better option, in my opinion. >>

This is a really salient point. Money is so cheap to borrow it makes little sense to pay cash on a lot of purchases.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I just bought this, have a payment, and like you have a great great great feeling too! image Interest rates being so ridiculously low doesn't hurt.

My new 2015 Matte Black Dodge Challenger 5.7 Hemi...

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Big No to #1.

Yes on #2 since I got 1.78% which is better than borrowing from your parents since they insistently guilt you into being there every Thanksgiving.

I took the money we saved up for the car and invested it.

I'm sure my rationale for "not" going into debt for a hobby is pretty much universal here.
    Mike
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hit up cpamike for a loan anytime I see a 70s rack I want..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Slightly OT to this already OT thread ...

I am of the opinion that it is unwise financially to put any significant amount of money into a vehicle. Old, new, fancy, or not - they're all one of the most rapidly depreciating assets one could own. I bought a 2007 Pontiac G6 outright about 6 years ago and quickly came to the conclusion that it would be a good idea to drive it payment-free for as long of a time as possible. Drives fine; I am hoping I can get another 5+ reliable years out of it. Maybe longer. Having a newer car has never been a priority for me. I'd rather have the money.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have floated card purchases on my credit card for a month or two but would never make a purchase that I couldn't pay out of cash flow in a very short period of time.

In the past three months I paid off both of my cars and it is a tremendous feeling not to have to send off those two payments each month.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Having a newer car has never been a priority for me. I'd rather have the money. >>

+1, my last personal vehicle purchase was for my 95 Jeep 7+ years ago (still kicks butt offroading to get to the good camping spots), prior to that it was a 99 Stratus that just got retired last Mother's Day (while it still ran great, but when the wife wants a nicer vehicle.....)
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just hit up cpamike for a loan anytime I see a 70s rack I want.. >>

Geez Tim - Mike sure has the dough - who do think is funding my car? image
    Mike
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No and No
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    No,no.

If you have to borrow money for anything. You can't afford it
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options

<< <i>I just bought this, have a payment, and like you have a great great great feeling too! image Interest rates being so ridiculously low doesn't hurt.

My new 2015 Matte Black Dodge Challenger 5.7 Hemi...

image >>

That's called Put to death! (If anybody was wondering lol)

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all of the responses.

I do need to clarify something. I don't borrow money for my personal collection. I only borrow money to buy collections that I am going to resell.

I am kind of surprised at the number of people here that do NOT have car payments. I am thinking that this is not a proper sampling of the general public. Just a thought here.....maybe not many people want to admit that they have car payments and therefore they are not posting to this thread. That may not be the case, but it is a possibility. I am thinking that if stopped every car at a given intersection, almost everybody that you talk to would say that the car that they are driving has payments owed on it.

I am very proud to say that before this 4Runner we bought Saturday, I had never paid more than $8,000 for a vehicle. Ironically, the most expensive vehicle I've every bought was the one we bought Saturday ($11,900), and we paid cash for it after saving for a year. Also, I have NEVER owned a vehicle that the model year was in the same decade that I was living in. That is not necessarily a principle of mine, but since I don't buy new ones, that is the way it has always turned out.

What gets me is that many people think that their vehicle is their identity, so they go lease something they can't afford to buy in order to impress people. To me, a vehicle is a tool to get you from point "A" to point "B". Sure, I want it to be nice and clean and reliable, but it doesn't have to be the latest thing going.

By the way, this is what we bought, and we love it!

Shane

• Options
    MilehighHOFMilehighHOF Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you have to borrow money for anything. You can't afford it >>

So am I better off renting a house for my family or buying one (and having a mortgage)?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If you have to borrow money for anything. You can't afford it >>

So am I better off renting a house for my family or buying one (and having a mortgage)? >>

Exactly. There is good debt and bad debt. Knowing the difference, and being able to manage your debt, can actually be more beneficial than having no debt, to some extent, when it comes to credit rating, etc.

You only live once~like drinking, borrow responsibly, and enjoy yourself! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Are you teaching the Dave Ramsey series on finances?

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    I said to myself when I was 13, "I'm buying a Dodge Viper" and saved nearly every dime I earned until I bought this 1993 Hennessey at 18. I could have bought it at 16, but spent two years finding the 'right one' for a great deal.

The original intent was to drive it on weekends (like most Viper owners) but I ended up driving it every single day. In the six years I owned this car I put almost 40k miles on it, it was keyed, had an oil leak, AND I still MADE almost $10,000 when I sold it!

There's a side of me that is happy I bought it and got it out of my system, and then there's a side that wishes I had waited until I was older.

• Options
    and here's the other vehicle we have.

it's actually my fiance's.

Her daily driver is a Honda Civic, paid for. She is against car payments, too.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    No. And no. Paid off both cars and we are not looking forward to having monthly payments again. The wife is itching to get a new car though so we will see how long I can hold her off on scratching that itch.

I do think that there is an unusual amount of replies for people who do not have to make payments. My guess is that it is more likely to go in the opposite direction if you take a poll of the general public.
    Steve
  • Options
    LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    To even things out:

Yes - when used wisely, Paypal credit can be good.

Yes - last Oct. my wife and I purchased two new cards, with a down payment and trade-in, but also financed - interest rates are good.

I have a mortgage on my home, but it is also an investment property and the interest rate is low.

Having good credit can be very beneficial if used correctly.

Matt

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No. And no. Paid off both cars and we are not looking forward to having monthly payments again. The wife is itching to get a new car though so we will see how long I can hold her off on scratching that itch.

I do think that there is an unusual amount of replies for people who do not have to make payments. My guess is that it is more likely to go in the opposite direction if you take a poll of the general public. >>

I agree this is probably not the norm.

My first car payments started at 18 and I had car payments up until just a few months ago at 35. During a good chunk of that time I had two car payments.

In one of the other comments it was mentioned that essentially all debt is bad. This couldn't be any further from the truth. Using financial leverage can be a great thing. If you are going out to dinner and racking up a tab that is one thing, but if you are using debt to buy assets that can either appreciate or generate income it can be a fantastic thing.

Right now on CNBC Sam Zell is the guest host. Ask him if debt is a bad thing. He only became a billionaire from using other peoples money.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you teaching the Dave Ramsey series on finances? >>

Sort of. It developed the lessons. Much of it was based off of his series. I call it a hybrid Dave Ramsey plan. I agree with much of what he says....budgeting, getting out of debt, emergency funds, etc. I believe that BEHAVIOR is the main financial problem, not the lack of a lower interest rate. I believe that the only borrowing that is ok is a mortgage and borrowing money for business that is going to make money. Dave Ramsey would not even borrow money for business. I do believe that it would be BETTER to not EVER borrow money, but it's just not practical in business or for a mortgage.

Shane

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    if using a charge card which I pay off each month qualifies as borrowing money then yes I have borrowed against my card short term, otherwise no....and currently have a car payment and my son asked me to be kind and cosign on his lease payment which he is paying. First time I've ever leased a vehicle.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    1. No
    2. Yes, only because it is financed at 0.9% for 3 years. It is actually to my benefit to borrow at these term over paying cash.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I would never take out a loan to buy a card.

I would never ever buy a used car around here, especially with all the flooding the last few years.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭
    The one word I did not see in all of the posts in discipline. That is a key word for life. If you are discipline enough to save money and buy a car with cash that is awesome but not everyone can do that. I am in the credit business and I laugh at all the people that say credit is evil. Those people didn't pay their bills when they were young and their credit tanked! Credit is GREAT when used correctly and at the right time. You want to build credit so that you have the maximum number of options for borrowing money when you need it. One great example of having a nice option if you have good credit is zero interest credit cards. I have borrowered a lot of money over the years this way and never paid a dime of interest. Credit can help you build wealth for retirement in so many ways from businesses to rental properties or just paying off your mortgage faster and saving more money. Like one post said about wealthy people and credit......the richest people in the world have mastered credit to help them get where they are now. Be smart people!
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    borrowed 4K from Mom to purchase my first big haul of cards. worked out great. paid her off in less than a month. that was in the late 80's. never looked back.

but, "borrowing" to pay these days isn't such a bad thing. using a CC backed by a solid financial position which allows me to pay the full amount every month also allows me a ton of airline points with my benefit program. free flights are good. if you're gonna spend anyways.

both our vehicles were paid off at the end of last year. our mortgage is intact. our credit rating is strong. American dream. no college loans to pay off. one more child ready to start high school this fall.

it's good to be secure. sure would be fun to throw it all to hell, though and go cruise the countryside in a Microbus with a couple dogs and a banjo.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    1.) I never borrow money or use a credit card for my cards... I use my ebay sales money to buy more cards. I always tell people I buy & sell baseball cards, but I collect Ripken cards. image

2.) I do finance my vehicles. I can't possibly save enough money to buy a truck with cash. Kudos to those with that much discipline. I don't even have the discipline to keep a pack of cards sealed, let alone to save enough money to buy a truck with cash! However, I do ONLY buy used. I can't stomach the instant depreciation when driving a new car off the lot.

Speaking of which, I only have three more payments left on my black beauty! image

2007 Chevy Suburban
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    1: nope, never have and can't imagine a scenario when I ever would
    2: yep - two more payments on my Pacer and she's finally mine.