Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Complete your SL Half Dime set for $2.25 Miliion!

Got the flyer yesterday from Legend. They are selling the Law/Simpson Half Dime set, which includes the unique 1870-S.
You can buy the entire set for $3.25 million or the 1870-S separately for $2.25 million, and the balance of the set for $1 million.
Wonder where it will wind up?
Legend Half Dime Set
BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like a cool set.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still prefer looking for one with my metal detector (as if...).
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a wonderful set!!! A GREAT opportunity for someone with deep pockets!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For sure it beats every coin in Pogue (and any other collection) since its UNQIUE!!!

The Pouge collection gets another Legend smack down imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    The only reason this set is for sale, Mr Simpson ran out of room

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's too bad he decided to sell. This would have been a nice upgrade to the one he had in there! (MS66) Since I don't have 3.25 million bucks laying around, my baby will have to remain a step child. Thanks to joebb21 for pointing this out.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> The only reason this set is for sale, Mr Simpson ran out of room

image >>

That can't be right. A collection of half dimes takes up less room than a few rolls of Certs with Retsyn.
    You can carry the whole set in your front pocket and tap the ends of the rolls together to signify the "freshness" of the deal.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    You can carry the whole set in your front pocket and tap the ends of the rolls together to signify the "freshness" of the deal. >>

• Options

<< <i>

image >>

That can't be right. A collection of half dimes takes up less room than a few rolls of Certs with Retsyn.
    You can carry the whole set in your front pocket and tap the ends of the rolls together to signify the "freshness" of the deal. >>

It's pretty bad when a multimillionaire dumps a set just because it seems like a better solution then paying for another safety deposit box imageimage
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a beautiful set and I seriously considered buying it. But....I woke up and realized I needed the additional $3,249,995.00! So, I will allow somebody else to purchase it. image
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got the flyer also.
    I need a magnifying glass to see details on a half dime, so I will pass on buying any.

Thanks, Laura, for the offer.....

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Really a neat set.
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Really a neat set. >>

agreed and for the price it better be
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see if the collectors with big money are interested enough in half dimes to pay that kind of money. I have no feel for that market and have no idea if potential buyers are out there or not.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

>>

I can understand how a tray of proof $20s might be cooler than a tray of ultra-high grade half dimes.

But I don't understand how someone who could afford either would have a space problem.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    duplicate
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    We have rejected coins because they were just plastic. Only the FINEST EYE APPEAL and QUALITY was selected.

My only comment would be on the 1870-s. Being unique.... any price, any amount could be asked for it, in any assigned grade. But considering it was last a MS63, and before that considered AU when first discovered, not sure how we get to the current grade of MS64. It doesn't seem like this beats every coin in Pogue if Mr Simpson is looking to trade it in towards some of the Pogue coins. I wouldn't mind the rest of the half dime set for $1 MILL....if I had a MILL to get rid of. But I'd pass on the $2.25 MILL for just the 1870-s. It's kind of a weird set where one coin is worth 2x the price of everything else. Though I've been a seated collector since 1974, I don't really consider the 70-s critical to a "complete" set of US seated half dimes. No different than if an 1870-s quarter is still out there. We may have lost the idea of what a set is if one of the coins is unique and "uncollectible." Considering they offer the option of selling the 70-s separately, that sort of leads to the notion it's still a "set" without it.

Works out to be about $12.5K per coin in the normal 80 coin set. Not unreasonable really. In the quarters it might be 2X to 6X that amount.

Space problem? A sabbed proof $20 Lib takes up the same space in your safe deposit box as a slabbed MS half dime. Now if this were the old days, a raw gem half dime set could take up only a few cubic inches in your SDB. Slabs have increased our storage requirements by 10-20 fold. The banking industry is all in favor of slabs. image
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought simpson was the one that bought the gardner 1846 in PC 62 gold cac, but I guess not as the 63 in the flyer was gene's coin in the first sale , its darker. The 62 was undergraded by a good point to point in half. I was one of the underbidders by a long shot

jim

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The few wild half dimes that I've owned, I've just loved. :-)
  • Options
    Thanks TDN. What's a decimal place here or there?

Edited my previous thread. That's actually not a lot of money per coin now that I think of it. My 1998 to 2007 PCGS pop reports have the 70-s as a MS63.

The MS66+ 1851-0 is an old friend. I bought that out of a Superior sale in 1983. It was originally slabbed/graded MS65 in 1988. Has the creamiest luster and slickest surfaces that just glow. I never actually "sold" that coin either. It was shipped to a Maryland dealer in 1988 on approval. The FEDs shut down their business and confiscated everything. They ultimately paid only part of my asking price. They never sat all that well with me.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In fact if we donot find the "right" collector for this set, he will just keep it. >>

Well La De Da. How typical.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wth is up with this forum software?
  • Options

<< <i>Wth is up with this forum software? >>

I figured it was the interface with my Firefox because it's been doing this to me on and off for 4 months. Sometimes it takes me 5 attempts to make a post "stick". And then with it finally shows up, it often shows all your "failed" attempts as well. Annoying. Sometimes I go for days without a glitch. Today, I've probably had a dozen already.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a series collector so I will pass on this one...although it is a mighty fine (MS) set.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file