Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What is the last Topps Baseball set that has investment potential?

Just curious on your opinion. I always thought 86 Topps still has a chance, I thought this was the last set before they really opened up the flood gates on printing cards. The black borders. Or is there just to much of this product out there too??

Comments

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1987 Topps - it's so worthless, it has nowhere to go but up :-)
    Daniel
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    1983..beautiful set and 3 good rookies. I love the 1985 set too, but with the circumstances surrounding Clemens and Puckett's off the field problems, who knows. I think 1983 is the most solid choice just my two pennies.

Jimmy
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    I would say in general, it probably ends with 1983. After that you start getting rookie classes involved in the steroid era and then there's the mass overproduction starting in 87 or so.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Since I assume we are talking about early years and not anything past the 80's, as I think some of the sets like the topps micro and similar inaugural issues have a chance to go up, I will throw my hat in the ring and say 1983 as well. Not only do you have the Sanberg, Gwynn, Boggs and some minor rookies as well, you have the second year Ripken and a lot of the stars of the 70's in the set. The color and design of the set is appealing as well.

Below is a list of why I dont think these sets will ever appreciate much over standard inflation prices

1984 - Lack of big name rookies beyond Mattingly (Dont consider Strawberry big name), bad card design and plenty of them out there
    1985 - This has long range potential depending on the perception many years down the road. Lots of big rookies in the set, but ethically questionable which is what is keeping the value from potentially rising
    1986 - Tough condition set, however, if you dont grade (which most dont), the set is lacking rookie power, plus there is still a ton available
    1987 - Similar to 1985 in terms of rookie selection, also similar in questionable behavior, led by bonds which you can buy by the truckload for under a buck. Plus, as long as there is a plethora of unopened cases available, these will not go up.
    1988 - LOL
    1989- DOUBLE LOL

Just my opinions
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    How can you guys forget about 1991 Topps Desert Shield? Limited edition AND a Chipper Jones rookie ... image
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Are you referring to building a set within the registry? I agree with the others that anything past 1977 is dicey due to the number of cards out there still to be submitted.

I think unopened from 1986 Topps has some strong investment potential due to how difficult it is to get some of the PSA 10's. It seems the value of PSA 10's and unopened parallel each other a bit
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thread like this before I believe. I also believe I went with 1971 then and I'll stick with that.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you referring to building a set within the registry? I agree with the others that anything past 1977 is dicey due to the number of cards out there still to be submitted.

I think unopened from 1986 Topps has some strong investment potential due to how difficult it is to get some of the PSA 10's. It seems the value of PSA 10's and unopened parallel each other a bit >>

Anything on general, unopened, graded cards, or hand made sets.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    I like the 1993 Marlins and Rockies inaugural sets, low production and stamped cards make this a long term hold. Jeter rookie in 9 pays for the set, in 10 it brings 5X the set. Add all the other stars that you can grade and flip it is a good investment IMO.
  • Options
    curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    Laugh at the 88s but I feel it's a nice, clean design.
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Laugh at the 88s but I feel it's a nice, clean design. >>

Agree with the design, but there is so much of that stuff I don't know if it can ever really have value??
  • Options
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    1988 - LOL 1989- DOUBLE LOL

Sub them all now! Think of the pop 1s