Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Best type of magnifier/loupe?

What is the best magnifier/ loupe brand etc
For helping review to submit to psa? Thx

Comments

• Options
    Multiple threads about this if you search.
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    As you get more and more comfortable with grading, I don't think using a loupe is necessary.
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As you get more and more comfortable with grading, I don't think using a loupe is necessary. >>

I agree wholeheartedly with that statement. A strong light, usually LED, and peace and quiet have produced my best results. I have nothing against using a loupe, but the couple times I have, I have found that I was almost "overgrading" my cards if that makes sense. Light and concentration, for me, is where it's at. Corners can be somewhat tricky though to see with the naked eye sometimes.
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    it helps to have one for those AHA! moments.
  • Options
    Yes, I think the people who are not all that familiar with grading think the graders are sitting around looking though loupes and microscopes while grading cards, when that's not really the case. Unless you have horrible vision, a good eye and the proper lighting to inspect a card before being sent in is your best tools.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with those that say a loupe is probably not necessary. Generally if you have good vision and lighting you should be fine. I have never used a loupe on a card. Good luck finding one though.
    Steve
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    someone suggested a jewelers lamp. I picked one up for 20 bucks or less, it is great to see the cards at 3X magnification and it has a small 10X magnifier built in if you really want to look close. I am not a fan of LED lighting, I find that it covers up issues when you are looking at white cards. I use a soft white light and found that I get the best results and hidden things like wrinkles or small imperfections pop right out but that is just my preference
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Ive submitted a handful without a loupe and have done ok.
    Id recommend searching past threads. There were some good discussions with both sides strongly adamant for or against.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up the one that was posted I believe by Casey in an old thread somewhere, and it only cost something like $3 or $4 on Amazon (shipped from Asia). It works great; though I don't find it necessary most of the time, for that little cost it couldn't hurt to own.