Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cabinet friction or wear?

ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
What's the distinction, if any, between so-called "cabinet friction" and circulation wear? Is there a visual characteristic to cabinet friction or light rub that distinguishes the two? It's apparent that some forms of high point rub are considered market acceptable in the MS grades. Below is an example. Note the shine on Liberty's arm, legs, face, etc. The most distinguishing feature of the high point shine on this coin is that it follows the luster.

The coin below is MS64, CAC. It's in my collection, and has a lot going for it. Do you agree with the grade?

Comments

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the grade mostly because there is no AU65 grade... if I had that coin, my notes would say "looks AU65".

You absolutely are right on when you say it has a lot going for it, very nice!
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks pretty solid for the grade. So says CAC too. Kind of hard to tell from the pictures but if there is friction it's minimal. Cabinet friction would be from improper storage usually from old time collections. Wear would be from circulation and even mishandling. The shiny areas could be from storage in a leather pouch or something. The reverse doesn't appear to have any shiny areas on the high points which would be the feathers above the talons and tops of the wings. For a 64CAC grade it should have little in luster breaks; if any. Strike looks solid too.

Nice coin.

Freddie

Here's a good example of cabinet friction or mishandling on a nice MS64 coin IMO. Note all the darker areas; the opposite contrast to what you are referring to on your coin.

1877-cc ms64 CAC
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I look for a disturbance in the luster in accessible parts of the fields when deciding if there is faint wear [AU58(+)].
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Cabinet friction comes from collectors having too many coins. They put them in a flip or envelope and cram them in a box with other coins.
    This causes the high points to show rub from being pushed against other coins.

Normally these coins split from AU58 to MS61/62 but the strike on this piece got it a 64, with CAC approval.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luster breaks on the high points don't always have to be from rub as a coin can be Mint State and just posses stacking marks.

Being able to differentiate the two has to be done with seeing the coin in hand as it can't be judged from a photo.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments (and compliments) everyone. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with the coin. Just trying to understand where the line is drawn on high-point friction.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I could be coin dictator for a day, cabinet friction would be wear and only neglected by the unscrupulous sales people.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I consider 'cabinet friction' or 'stacking marks' to be wear and find them unacceptable on an MS coin.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I consider 'cabinet friction' or 'stacking marks' to be wear and find them unacceptable on an MS coin. >>

Stacking and roll marks are just part of business strikes struck for commerce as every such coin went through a lot of abuse within the mint itself well before landing in collectors hands.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, technically wear is wear since "how" it got there does not convey with the particular coin when sold, the coin must speak for itself.

Generally, I think of stacking and cabinet friction affecting only the high points of the design, while circulation wear affects the fields, too.

Imagine two identical coins, exact twins to start, and then one you slide around for a few minutes on a piece of paper on a flat table top, and the other you jingle in your pocket with a bunch of other coins, until they both have the exact same "theoretical" amount of contact marks and degree of metal loss from the perfect 70 they both started as, only the first coin has the highpoints highlighted and the remainder of the coin is still pristine, while the second coin has less actual wear on the highest points, but more wear distributed over the rest of the coin, particularly the open fields

The flat paper coin will exhibit classic or "idealized" cabinet friction, while the second coin will display wear more characteristic of circulation. Of course every coin is different, but this is generally how I think about it. I've got both kinds in my collection and find them actually a pretty good value when priced in the AU58-MS62 range.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on what the definition of "is" is. Touchy subject with lots of opinions.

To me, wear is wear and the term "cabinet friction" represents wishful thinking on the part of the would-be seller.

That said, I personally feel the significance of wear is overstated. A tiny bit of wear shouldn't be viewed any worse than a tiny bit of incomplete strike. Stacking rub or surface disturbances that happen before the coins ever made it out of the mint is real. It's virtually impossible to find Peace dollars without a little frost disturbance on the high points, even on coins in MS67 holders (but I have seen a few without any). The TPGs all tolerate that up to a point.

Seemingly PQ coins in MS62 holders often get floated around here in GTG threads. Usually these are sliders that are otherwise technically excellent - sometimes even downright gorgeous. The TPGs take a market-grade approach and put these AU58 coin into low MS holders. If you're collecting on a budget, and not too concerned about the number on the insert, a carefully assembled collection of such coins can be a visual treat.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wear, contact marks, cabinet friction, stacking and roll marks are all terms used to describe surface disturbances of some kind. what really matters in the end is whether or not there are any luster breaks.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good looking quarter...other than that...I have nothing to add to this thread.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice looking coin!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking coin. From the photo, the obverse rim appears to have essentially full luster. That would be another check point for a coin that is truly MS64 or higher. The obv rim is a high point too where often that shows wear before the design high points. I have seen MS64's in holders with Liberty's right leg fully plateaued from end to end....but full mint luster and no other signs of rub (Eliasberg's MS64 1861-s half is a good example of this). 85-90% of capped bust halves in the MS64 grade have high point friction of the eagle's wing tips and Liberty's highest curls. A seated or bust coin with full blazing mint luster will generally be given a mint state pass for minor high point rubbing/friction.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file