Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you think there is a little too much cabinet friction on this Pan-Pacific to get an MS61?

Comments

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, perhaps there is. >>

...I wouldn't touch that one without a MACge sticker image
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ACG grading is very consistent. And that's all I have to say about that.image

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man those ACG slabs get me all nostalgic...... image
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a standard rule you need to remove a minimum of 3 grading points on any ACG graded coin image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it spent a little time in a parking lot.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nasty looking coin!image
  • Options

<< <i>Nasty looking coin!image >>

It's not nasty... It just looks like one of thousands which was mishandled by non collectors who attended the exposition.
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% feedback seller. And won by an experienced ebayer.
    Vplite99
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disregarding the grading of the coin, look at the reverse and notice the ring of toning running around the coin about as far in from the rim as the center bar on the E of STATES. There is a similar ring on the obverse.

Over the years I have noticed that most Pan-Pac halves have this ring of toning. I have never been able to figure out why it is there. Any guesses?

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

It's been a long time since I've seen an ACG slab.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>Disregarding the grading of the coin, look at the reverse and notice the ring of toning running around the coin about as far in from the rim as the center bar on the E of STATES. There is a similar ring on the obverse.

Over the years I have noticed that most Pan-Pac halves have this ring of toning. I have never been able to figure out why it is there. Any guesses?

TD >>

I've thought about that inner circle on the pan-pac's over the years too and since it doesn't seem to dip off might not be toning related.

Ever consider that it might be a die or striking related issue image
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>It's not nasty... It just looks like one of thousands which was mishandled by non collectors who attended the exposition. <<<

Looks like it was thrown under a belt sander! With 20 grit paper!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Disregarding the grading of the coin, look at the reverse and notice the ring of toning running around the coin about as far in from the rim as the center bar on the E of STATES. There is a similar ring on the obverse.

TD >>

I've thought about that inner circle on the pan-pac's over the years too and since it doesn't seem to dip off might not be toning related.

Ever consider that it might be a die or striking related issue image >>

A raised or depressed line on the die does not affect the color of the coin. And it is seen on both sides of the coins.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    About the only benefit of that slab is preventing further circulation, etc.. A notch, only, above NNC IMO.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

TD >>

I always assumed it had to do with the original packaging causing the toning.

JH
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cabinet friction? Maybe, if your cabinet is lined with coarse grade garnet paper to keep those pesky buggers from sliding around.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes!! I haven't seen an ACG slab in an age!! This is probably one of the reasons why!! image

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

TD >>

Expensive coins in cheap packaging?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file