Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is it Better to Submit 1956-57 Cards in Pre-1956 Category?

Looking at 8s of the early 1950s, it seems they are more lenient, particularly on corner wear. However, when I sub cards that are close to that era but past the 1955 cutoff, they seem to grade them more strictly. I'm wondering if the post-55 graders who see a lot of high grade 60s-80s cards get calibrated to higher standards than those grading pre-56 cards. Has anyone noticed if subbing cards close to the 1955 cutover year get better grades if they sub them with early 50s or older cards? I have some nice '56s that I could include in an early 50s sub if paying the additional $1 per card is worth it.

Comments

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    This is certainly an interesting theory. I agree that older vintage cards from the 50's can seem to get slightly more slack than 60's and especially 70's cards. Maybe you can run a test and sub a few of your 56 cards in with the pre cutoff sub and see what happens. If you do catch better grades it would obviously be worth the difference in grading fees. Not sure how the grading process goes, but no matter how the cards get to PSA wouldn't the same graders grade the card no matter how they were subbed? Meaning, if I subbed a 56 and there's a handful of graders who handle 56's aren't they going to end up with those graders anyway?
    Steve
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is certainly an interesting theory. I agree that older vintage cards from the 50's can seem to get slightly more slack than 60's and especially 70's cards. Maybe you can run a test and sub a few of your 56 cards in with the pre cutoff sub and see what happens. If you do catch better grades it would obviously be worth the difference in grading fees. Not sure how the grading process goes, but no matter how the cards get to PSA wouldn't the same graders grade the card no matter how they were subbed? Meaning, if I subbed a 56 and there's a handful of graders who handle 56's aren't they going to end up with those graders anyway? >>

From what I've heard, graders specialize in specific eras. For example, pre-war graders typically won't be grading out shiny modern cards. Not sure if that's the case but that's what I've heard.
  • Options
    I wasn't under the impression that you had the choice. To me, "pre-56" means 1955 and earlier - thus, 1956-57 cards wouldn't be allowed.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    I think he means including say, one '59 card, in a batch of '53 cards then the pre '56 grader will grade the one '59 card also. I don't think thats how it works. That grader should sent it to the post '55 grader.
    Otherwise, no doubt in my mind someone will send in a jordan rookie with their pre '56 batch. I could be wrong and am tired but thats how i read it. Im being facetious and see that the OP meant '56...close to the cutoff. But others will always push the line..58s then 60s before you know it...86 MJ.
    agree, interesting theory.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you would have a hard time submitting 1952s with a modern order because the rate is cheaper but I doubt they would have a problem with me including a slightly newer card and paying a higher price.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wasn't under the impression that you had the choice. To me, "pre-56" means 1955 and earlier - thus, 1956-57 cards wouldn't be allowed. >>

The one special for the remaining 3 days of March has all years 25 card min. $7 each.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think you would have a hard time submitting 1952s with a modern order because the rate is cheaper but I doubt they would have a problem with me including a slightly newer card and paying a higher price. >>

It's funny, I had 25 '52's and 25 '75 mini's ready to send out tomorrow. No you have me re-thinking.