Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1979 Topps Hockey set with PSA 7 Gretzky... question on value

I have an opportunity to purchase this set with a PSA 7 Gretzky for $400... He said the rest of the set is NM.
is this a good value? I'm not a hockey guy at all!!!
I know VCP for the Gretzky is roughly 380-395... there's some OPC in there throwing the value a bit..
I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments.
Thanks,
Joe

Comments

• MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I think it really depends on what you plan to do with the cards and what the Gretzky looks like. Not all 7s are created equal.

From my experience, when a seller says their 79s are NM you're getting mainly EX to EXMT.

• RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    That's not a bad price assuming the set is as described. The set doesn't have many other rookie cards but it does have the last cards of Gordie Howe and Bobby Hull. If it's a nice 7 I'd say go for it because Gretzky rookies aren't getting cheaper.
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>
    I know VCP for the Gretzky is roughly 380-395... there's some OPC in there throwing the value a bit..
    >>

Not sure what you mean here. VCP has separate results listed for Topps and OPC cards.
    One has nothing to do with the other.

To answer your question, seems like a decent buy.
  • ToadManToadMan Posts: 219 ✭✭
    It does when the listing has both Topps and OPC in the title of the ebay auction.
    Look at the images and there's a good handful that have OPC cards, not Topps. Because of this, this will skew the average price.

On a side note, I did purchase the set.
    Thank you for the comments.
  • ToadManToadMan Posts: 219 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    >>

Not sure what you mean here. VCP has separate results listed for Topps and OPC cards.
    One has nothing to do with the other.

To answer your question, seems like a decent buy. >>

example 1