Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

KSA graded cards crossover?

Anyone have any experience with KSA graded cards?
Will they cross over at 2 grades less or worse?
Any experiences would be appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    I cracked an older holdered '52 Topps card that was a 7.5 and got a 7 with PSA. I think I've heard before here that the older graded cards from KSA, like when they first started were more accurate. Doug
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I cracked an older holdered '52 Topps card that was a 7.5 and got a 7 with PSA. I think I've heard before here that the older graded cards from KSA, like when they first started were more accurate. Doug >>

I don't know how to tell by looking at the cert numbers, but the central and western offices of KSA were more strict (aka, more accurate) than the cards graded by their Atlantic office that closed a few years ago. That office often used to grade a full grade higher than the others for the same card. They let go of the guy who worked there.

I have had a few cards cross straight over with the same grade, though those were crack-outs and subbed raw. Several others were 1.0 or 0.5 lower. I've had worse % outcome with BVG crossovers than KSA cards, personally. Take a close look at the cards before you buy though, as I'm sure there are some out there that would not cross as well as others.

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Back around 2007/2008 I heard nothing but horror stories about KSA crossing over. However, recently I've heard pretty good success stories. Maybe KSA operates at a higher standard now? Who knows. Tom (tsalems1) crossed a Gretzky OPC RC KSA 8 to a PSA 7.5 here.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Use your eyes. Generally, KSA cards are overgraded. I think that statement is true beyond just one grading center. Some are severely off, some slightly off, and some right on. There are good crossover opportunities, but you have to be choosy and smart. No general rule will suffice for good judgment.

If you are going to cross, I'd recommend a crack and submit over a formal "crossover". More likely to be successful. Higher risk, but higher reward.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Use your eyes. Generally, KSA cards are overgraded. I think that statement is true beyond just one grading center. Some are severely off, some slightly off, and some right on. There are good crossover opportunities, but you have to be choosy and smart. No general rule will suffice for good judgment.

If you are going to cross, I'd recommend a crack and submit over a formal "crossover". More likely to be successful. Higher risk, but higher reward. >>

Agree with everything said here. I think Tom did a crossover, but he has tons of experience subbing cards. I'd personally crack and sub.
  • Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to all for great info
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    9 times out of 10 you will lose with this strategy with just about any grader, much less KSA which is far down the list as far as grading companies with credibility. Upon re-entering the hobby, I thought I was being smarter than everyone else by buying cards graded by companies like KSA, BGS, GAI, etc and assuming I'd get a crossover from PSA. Not so much..

If you do decide to try it, I'd recommend cracking it and subbing to PSA as a review rather than a crossover attempt.

Good Luck!
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection