Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Baltimore show report: Thursday + Friday [pictures added]

This will be an abbreviated show report because I got here later than usual (4ish) and only really hit up two dealers. Fortunately, two dealers is all I had money to deal with...

My first two stops were with US dealers, just to say hi and chat briefly about industry stuff. I've known many US dealers (and their collector entourage) for almost two decades, so I'll make an effort tomorrow to catch up more with them.

My first real stop was with James Ricks of Atlas Numismatics. He got the honor because he reached out to me last week and intimated that I should go see him. He didn't have a darn thing for me in my core areas of collecting, but I ended up spending nearly my entire modest budget with him anyway -- because he has the most awesome grouping of German States talers and minors. Oh.My.Freakin.God. He also had a few other really nice Austrian and Hungarian silvers, including the most eye-popping 17th century Salzburg Taler in 65. The toning on that technical gem was just gorgeous.

I ended up buying three kickass German States 1/2T from him. No pics (yet).

My second real stop was at Tom Cederlind's table to look at a nice secondary phase sceatta, which I also bought. Again, no pic (yet).

Went back to my room to relax and take care of my beloved pooch, then went to dinner at Kona Grill with a U.S. dealer friend.

Room now, typing this. Sleepy. Will retire for evening soon. Must walk said pooch too. Less beloved now. image

EVP

[updated subject]

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to the pic's.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I regret to say that my Friday report will be very sparse because I felt very tired and went back to the hotel to sleep away the afternoon.

I the morning, my friends and I got to the convention center for the 9am LSCC meeting (lightside). It was a full audience, with several new members. Met OriginalDan, who collects US TD as well as MX 8R. The highlight topic of this meeting was a recap of the recently sold and re-acquired Gobrecht dollar from the family of President Andrew Jackson. The descendants of the family that received that coin from Jackson's family were in attendance today.

After the meeting, I went back to Atlas to take another look at the eye popping Salzburg taler but that was that. Going through his boxes, I noticed another kickass German States 1/2T that I had incorrectly put in the 'no' pile on Thursday. So, I bought that to make my final haul from them at four for the show. Again, no pic.

The four German States 1/2T were: 1766 S(N)R Friedberg; 1770 SNR Hohenlohe-Waldenburg-Schilling; 1770 AS Speyer (ex Ernst Otto Horn collection); 1782 GCB Regensburg KM-444 (also ex Ernst Otto Horn collection).

For those who care, the Anglo-Saxon sceat is SCBC 807, Metcalf 373-375. Toned, well struck, well centered and of good metal.

Shortly thereafter, I felt very ill and exhausted. Eventually made my way back to the room and crashed. Later that evening, I found out that one of my US coins sold at the show and that will pay for my entire dark side purchases. Yay!

I expect to hit the show for a little bit Saturday before my noon checkout.

EVP

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saturday was a blow-off day for me. I just walked around aimlessly, before going back to the hotel to get my dog and driving home. Nothing interesting to report.

Below are images of my newps (done with my iPhone 6, processed through PSE)...

ANGLO-SAXON, Secondary Sceattas. Circa 720-735. AR Sceat (12mm, 0.9g). Series O, type 38. Bust right within cable border / Bird right in torc. Metcalf 373-5; SCBC 807. EF, toned. Blundered legends.

1766 S(N)R Friedberg 1/2T. Very PL, though not noted on the insert. The reverse is not nearly as toned as the image suggests; the "dark" areas are caused by the "mirrored pool" effect.

1770 SNR Hohen.-Walden.-Schilling. 1/2T. Superb medium original toning over smooth PL-ish surfaces and splashes of blue, red and orange color (slight color on obverse, but much more so on the reverse).

1770 AS Speyer 1/2T. From the Ernst Otto Horn collection. This is a very tough coin for me to image. The obverse has an even medium-to-deeper toning. The reverse has light-to-medium mottled toning. A very handsome coin if you like originality to go along with an artistic design.

1782 GCB Regensburg KM-444 1/2T. Also from the Ernst Otto Horn collection. My image doesn't do this coin proper justice. On both sides, the patina is actually "smooth"-looking, with overall lighter grey color mixed with copious splashes of blue, red and orange. It's really a very attractive coin; the popular reverse river view helps too!